Why Spencer Pulley (not Max Tuerk) is Chargers' starting center -- for now

233 views 5 replies
Reply to Topic
Bellaaaa

Total Posts: 0

The Los Angeles Chargers are heading down the backstretch of the team's offseason program.
They have two more weeks of scheduled organized team activities and finish with a mandatory minicamp June 13-15 before transitioning to Los Angeles.
"Fight for L.A.",Authentic Tyvon Branch Jersey,Head coach Anthony Lynn was recently asked for his reaction to the team's slogan
"My job is to get my team to fight,womens Josh Mauro Jersey, and that's what we're trying to do here in OTAs is put a team on the field that L.A. can be proud of,womens Corey Peters Jersey," Lynn said.
I talked with Arthur Arkush about the Chargers transitioning to Los Angeles and other storylines in this podcast.
Yes, when the Chargers selected Tuerk in the third round last year, general manager Tom Telesco indicated that he could be the team's center of the future.
and he turned out to be the team's best offensive lineman last year.,But Tuerk was coming off ACL knee surgery his final season at USC and still had to transition to the NFL game. The Chargers rolled the dice and signed veteran Matt Slauson to play center full-time
and he proved better than expected. So the answer to the question is what Pulley has done over the last 12 months is the reason he remains the center running with the first unit for now over Tuerk.,They also brought in an undrafted rookie out of Vanderbilt named Spencer Pulley last year
he gushed about the second-year pro's skill set.,When I asked Slauson about Pulley a few weeks ago,womens Jared Veldheer Jersey,
Pulley was active for all 16 games as a rookie, playing 115 snaps at right guard sharing time with D.J. Fluker, 48 snaps at left guard and 44 at center.Authentic Corey Peters Jersey
"He's a really smart kid,womens Evan Boehm Jersey, wise beyond his years,womens A.Q. Shipley Jersey," Slauson said. "I thought last year the way he approached his job was way beyond what a rookie does. He's just committed to it.
"The reality is he's a pro. And the way he attacks the day is like that of a fourth- or fifth-year guy. And his tools -- he's extremely quick and extremely strong -- he's one of the stronger guys in our room. So I have a lot of confidence in him."
quarterback Philip Rivers offered similar praise about Pulley. Rivers also knew Pulley before he arrived at Chargers Park because his younger brother Stephen Rivers played with Pulley at Vanderbilt.,womens J. J. Nelson Jersey,Authentic Jared Veldheer Jersey,Like Slauson
" Rivers said. "That's what he played in college his whole time there at Vandy. Slauson was great there last year,Authentic Josh Mauro Jersey,womens Jermaine Gresham Jersey,"I have a great comfort level with Spencer, and Spencer played some there in that Cleveland game and a few other times, so I have a good feel with him.
'Who is this Pulley guy?' I knew about him because my brother was with him at Vandy for a year. But it just wasn't too big for him right off the bat. He's had a heck of an offseason,"So from a communication and snap standpoint, he played a lot last year at guard, so he's used to being in there with us. He was a guy we found out about early on at this point last year, we were like, so he's in there right now with the first group and we'll see how it goes."
While Pulley appears ahead, Tuerk should still get an opportunity to compete. As detailed in this story,Authentic Evan Boehm Jersey, Tuerk's weight is not an issue. He's in the mid-290s and hopes to be around 300 pounds when training camp starts.
As a third-round pick,Authentic A.Q. Shipley Jersey, Tuerk's scheduled to make about $670,Authentic J. J. Nelson Jersey,womens Tyvon Branch Jersey000 this year -- none of which is guaranteed -- so compensation will not be part of Telesco's decision on whether he makes the roster.
The key for Tuerk will be to perform at a high level when the pads come on during preseason games and in scrimmages.,Authentic Jermaine Gresham Jersey,
Posted 22 Feb 2018

Posted 31 Mar 2018

Posted 14 Sep 2018

Posted 15 Oct 2018

Posted 03 Nov 2018

Posted 15 Nov 2018

Reply to Topic