Without Deng's courage and de

293 views 1 replies
Reply to Topic
DMT

Total Posts: 0

Deng aimed to complete his predecessors' unfinished mission to normalize relations with the US

[i][i]Thanks to Deng's wisdom and persistence Landon Collins Hat , the enforcement of reform and opening-up policy was unaffected by the 1989 Tiananmen Square incident and ensuing negative
international opinion
[/i][/i]

[i][i][i]The calm and confident way in which how Deng dealt with Sino-US relations can be instructive for today's Chinese leaders at a time when Trump's presidency
is causing uncertainty in bilateral ties
[/i][/i][/i]

[i][i]Citizens in Shenzhen, South China's Guangdong Province, visit a portrait of Deng Xiaoping on Sunday, who passed away that day 20 years ago. Photo: CFP
[/i][/i]

[i][i]"When Deng Xiaoping visited the US [in 1979], I was a university student. I read newspaper reports [about the trip] almost word by word, including every
single piece of news in the People's Daily," recalled Qian Jiang, journalist and
author of [i]Deng Xiaoping and The Establishment of Sino-US Diplomatic Relations,[i] in his blog.
[/i][/i][/i][/i]

[i][i]China and the US established diplomatic ties on January 1, 1979, when Deng was serving as China's vice premier and was de facto paramount leader of the
Communist Party of China. He then paid an official visit to the US at the
invitation of US President Jimmy Carter in late January. As the first visit by a
Chinese leader to the US in history, Deng's trip caused a sensation in the US
and around the world.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]"Documentaries recorded that Deng's nine-day trip changed the view of the US government and wider society towards China. While the establishment of bilateral
ties meant the US legally recognized the People's Republic of China, his visit
made it into an emotional recognition. He broke the stereotype that Westerners
had about Chinese with his humor and volubility," said Liu Yawei, director of
the China Program at The Carter Center.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]"Deng's boosting of the establishment of Sino-US ties created a peaceful environment for the two countries. For decades, peace has been the cornerstone
of the bilateral diplomacy, though there have been frictions and disagreements
at times," Qian told the Global Times.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]The total volume of Sino-American trade has exploded in recent decades. According to statistics from the Chinese Ministry of Commerce released in
January, Sino-US trade volume today is 211 times greater than it was 38 years
ago, going from $2.5 billion in 1979 to $519.6 billion in 2016. China surpassed
Canada to become the US's biggest trade partner in 2015, according to statistics
issued by the United States Census Bureau.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]Without Deng's courage and determination, Sino-US ties wouldn't have been normalized in 1979, as there were still a lot of obstacles and difficulties at
that moment which are explained in Ezra Vogel's book [i]Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China[i], said Liu."Despite the great many obstacles and difficulties, Deng decided to establish diplomatic ties with the US because he
saw the big picture of China's future development and the significance of
Sino-US ties to the world. He chose to shelve the disputes," Liu told the Global
Times.
[/i][/i][/i][/i]

[i][i]Being pragmatic in dealing with Sino-US relations is something we need to learn from Deng's approach, Liu argued upon the 20th anniversary of Deng's death
this Sunday. As, in the words of former US President Barack Obama, the Sino-US
relationship will "shape the 21st Century," Qian and Liu stressed that it's
important for the two sides to enhance mutual trust today.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]US President Jimmy Carter welcomes Deng Xiaoping in Washington, US. Deng made the first official visit by a Chinese leader to the US from January 28 to
February 5, 1979, opening a new era in China-US relations. Photo: Gilbert
UZANCFP
[/i][/i]

[i][i]Creating history

According to Qian, a normalized Sino-US relationship was already high on China's diplomatic agenda before Chairman Mao Zedong and
Premier Zhou Enlai passed away in 1976. Beijing expected to establish ties with
Washington during President Richard Nixon's second term after he made his
historic visit to China in 1972, though this was thwarted by his resignation in
the wake of the Watergate scandal.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]After Zhou and Mao died, it was difficult to bring the topic back to the top of the agenda again, as domestic opposition against China building a friendship
with the "US imperialists" remained strong.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]But Deng was determined to complete his predecessors' unfinished mission, Qian told the Global Times. On the other hand, in the process of secret
diplomatic negotiations between China and the US, Deng became confident that
other domestic actors would allow him to take action on US-related diplomacy,
said Qian.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]Qian believes that Deng was determined to do all he could to thaw the Sino-US relationship. "He was determined to lead China toward the road of reform and
opening-up, and China had to work on the Sino-US relationship first if it wanted
to open up," said Qian.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]The normalization of China's relations with the US and the normalization of China's economy, marked by the announcement of the reform and opening-up policy
at the 3rd Plenary Session of the 11th Central Committee of CPC in December,
1978, are widely considered complementary to each other and mutually
reinforcing.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]"Deng's diplomatic approach was to proceed from the actual situation, which means he paid attention to the economy and national interest instead of
conceptions and doctrines. This is still instructive today," said Qian.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]Liu believes that Deng played an important role in difficult phases of the development of Sino-US relations.
[/i][/i]

[i][i]"For example, when China's diplomacy faced a great challenge from the international community after the events of June 1989, the Bush administration
was under a great pressure to sever US' relations with China; Deng demonstrated
to the world that China would stick to the reform and opening-up policy by his
South China tour and the important s Benefits And Drawba. Cheap Shirts   Wholesale Jerseys   Cheap Jerseys China Free Shipping   Cheap Jerseys Wholesale   Cheap NCAA Jerseys   Cheap Hoddies   Cheap New NHL Jerseys   Cheap NFL Jerseys Online   Cheap MLB Hats   Cheap Hoddies 
[/i][/i]

Posted 07 Dec 2018

sapna1990 says
Security services in Los Angeles : Weprovide security solutions that allow your organisation to operate efficiently,
effectively & safely.
Security services in California :warnersafeguard provides security services for home, business and government.
With many years experience providing security services California,
warnersafeguard has employed only the finest and qualified staff.
Contact Us:
WARNER SAFE GUARD inc.
Warner Safe Guard, Inc.provides security officer services in the state of California. We are a
security service company that provides excellent and professional service.
Please feel free to give us a call or fill out the form below.
o Phone: 1-855-889-1518
o Fax: 1-818-626-9344
o Email:[email protected]
Address : 6601 CenterDrive West, Suite-500, #700 Los Angeles, CA 90045

Posted 09 Nov 2020

Reply to Topic