"I don't think our union is really helping us,

534 views 0 replies
Reply to Topic
xuezhiqian123

Total Posts: 0

by Apollinaire Niyirora

BUJUMBURA Cheap Nike Vapormax Utility , May 13 (Xinhua) -- The transport sector in Burundi
is affected following an oil shortage hitting the east African nation for about
a month, car owners and users told Xinhua.

In the Burundian capital Bujumbura, several people who used to take taxis or minibuses to their workplaces now walk because taxis and passenger minibuses are
scarce due to the acute shortage of oil products.

"Due to the shortage of passenger minibuses, I have now decided to walk to my office every morning because there are limited chances to get a minibus at the
bus station,"

"If I wait for the bus, I will get it around 8:30 a.m. or at 9:00 a.m. whereas I have to report to work at 7:30 a.m. at the latest," said Jean Marie
Niyonzima, residing at Kigobe in the north of the capital Bujumbura and working
in a pharmacy in Bujumbura city center.

Another female worker, who used to take a taxi to her workplace, now walks to her office, or requests a ride as the price of a taxi has also increased due to
the scarcity of oil.

"Before, I had a taxi-man who would take me from home to the office and after work, from the office to my house. But now, I have to join a team of other
persons walking to the city center, or if I feel weak, I request a ride from
neighbors," Sylvie Bendahafi, residing at Musaga in the south of the capital and
working in a bakery in the capital city, said.

She indicated that she is unable to pay a taxi whose fare has now doubled.

Drivers of taxis as well as owners of cars in general face challenges getting gasoline at petrol stations both in the capital and the countryside.

"When I learn that a given petrol station has received oil products, I have to be there with my taxi at 3 o'clock early in the morning so that I will be
among the first to be served. Unfortunately, the petrol station attendants
cannot accept to give me the needed quantity of gasoline. This means that one
day later, I will have to queue again for gasoline at a petrol station," Jacques
Harabagabo, a taxi driver said.

He said that he has avoided taking passengers far from Bujumbura city center because his car would use a lot of gasoline.

Harabagabo added that he is not making money because people now walk instead of taking taxis because the taxi fare has gone on the rise.

"We (taxi drivers) get money when it is raining as people don't have any other choices than taking taxis," he said.

Harabagabo said that some car drivers can get oil products after seeking them at three or four petrol stations with a risk of getting an empty tank before
reaching a petrol station.

As gasoline is scarce at petrol stations, it is nevertheless secretly sold in some neighborhoods mainly at Buyenzi in the Burundian capital Bujumbura at
higher prices.

Herman Bizimana, a taxi driver, told Xinhua that a liter of gasoline sold at 2,100 Burundi francs (1.2 U.S. dollars) at petrol stations is now purchased at
7,000 Burundi francs (4.1 dollars) at the black market at Buyenzi.

"We have increased the price of transport because the price of gasoline has also increased. Queuing at petrol stations really gives us a headache. You can
spend a whole day or even two days queuing from a petrol station to another for
gasoline," said Bizimana.

In April, Burundian Energy Minister Come Manirakiza told lawmakers at the National Assembly -- the country's parliament lower chamber that the oil
shortage was due to the "failure" by the Burundian government to "have enough"
hard currency.

Meanwhile, earlier this week, the energy ministry announced that petrol stations should only open during daytime, between 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. to avoid
"possible" fraud.

The Burundi Consumers' Association (ABUCO) has called on the east African country's government to quickly solve the oil crisis hitting the country.

"Urging petrol stations to open during daytime hours is not a solution to the fuel crisis. Urgent solutions to this (fuel) crisis need to be found by the
government," the ABUCO said.

It further warned that Burundi's economy will face a "terrible decline" if the oil crisis continues to deepen.

Burundi has been facing a political and economic crisis following the controversial third term bid of President Pierre Nkurunziza in April 2015.

Several partners of Burundi including the European Union (EU) have frozen their financial aid towards the east African country's government.

Xi calls for boosting China-Pakistan Economic Corridor construction

China, Hungary establish comprehensive strategic partnership

Belt and Road Forum for Int'l Cooperation to be held in Beijing

2008 Wenchuan earthquake commemorated in SW China

Chinese submersible explores turbidity current in South China Sea

Straw art gala held in E China's Shandong

Xinjiang Int'l Grand Bazaar held in Urumqi, NW China

8th China Peking Opera art festival to be held in Nanjing

SYDNEY, March 17 (Xinhua) -- Staff in the Australian Government's Department of Human Services walked off the job on Friday, as part of an ongoing pay
dispute.

For over three years, the department and their staff have been at loggerheads regarding a pay rise, and Community and Public Sector Union national secretary,
Nadine Flood, said the department is refusing to negotiate.

"All they want to do is hold on to rights and conditions that have been in place for many years and allow them to balance their working and family lives,"
Flood said.

But a source within the Department of Human Services told Xinhua on the condition of anonymity that the public does not seem to support their strike,
and the union may be to blame.

"I don't think our union is really helping us," the source said.

"We have been years without a pay rise, years without an agreement, but we don't have . Wholesale
Jerseys
   Wholesale
Jerseys
China
   Wholesale Cheap
MLB Jerseys
   Wholesale
Jerseys Cheap
   Wholesale
NHL Jerseys From
China
   Wholesale