Away from home, pop hits Pervez

1879 views 62 replies
Reply to Topic
jason statham

Total Posts: 2999

The world saw a different side of General Pervez Musharraf last night — the man of culture.

The Pakistani President, who is on an official visit to the UK, attended a spectacular evening “celebrating the cultural diversity of Pakistan” at the Royal Albert Hall, billed as Rhythms of the Indus.

At the conclusion, the general, in his shirtsleeves, stood up and clapped along with thousands of fellow Pakistanis as the band Junoon played out with a rousing rendition of Pakistan Hamara Hai, Pakistan Tumhara Hai (Pakistan is Mine, Pakistan is Yours).

Given that Junoon, possibly Pakistan’s most popular band, has been in trouble in the past with the authorities back home, the general’s enthusiastic endorsement must have been welcome. Earlier, Junoon had brought the house down with their trademark number, Saiyonee.

The general did not simply dip in and out of the evening’s many acts, which included pop music, dance, fashion shows — the mullahs back in Pakistan might have had a thing or two to say about the revealing off-the-shoulder numbers — tribal drums and the heavenly Abida Parveen.

Musharraf stayed for the whole evening, which began at 7.30 pm and ended at midnight. It was a multimedia event, with a large screen used very effectively as a backdrop for films depicting the art and culture of the Indus.

This was a Pakistan that India and the rest of the world could easily live with, one revealing the face of the liberal arts.

Rhythms of the Indus, almost certainly the best organised Pakistani cultural event that Britain or the world has ever seen, was sponsored by the Pakistani high commission and the Bestway business group.

The latter’s chairman, Sir Anwar Pervez, the most successful Pakistani businessman in Britain with a company with over a billion pound turnover — tomorrow he offers hospitality at Royal Ascot in his top hat and tails — sat in a box with Musharraf and the Pakistani High Commissioner in London, Abdul Kader Jaffer.

The thousands of Pakistanis in the massive auditorium probably had no idea that Musharraf would be attending, not even when the evening’s co-presenter, the actor Art (Athar) Malik asked: “Is there a General sitting next to you?”

But there was Musharraf acknowledging the applause from his box. Although he was wearing a suit, he forgot himself and kept saluting his audience as though he was back at staff college, Rawalpindi. After the 20-minute interval, he was back but this time his jacket was off and he kept fanning himself with the programme for London is currently enjoying an exceptionally warm Pakistani/Indian summer.

Musharraf got up for the finale and clapped with the rest of the audience as Abida Parveen finished. Earlier, he enjoyed performances by a Kathak dancer; music and some pretty spectacular fashion featuring beautiful Pakistani models on high heels. Together they reflected the kind of Pakistan the fundamentalist clergy back in Pakistan would do everything to quash. But it was clear this was the Pakistan that the audience wanted.

There were some hejabs in the audience but none on stage. In the expensive boxes, wine and champagne flowed more freely than the waters of the Indus.

Art Malik made so bold as to urge the General to “come down and shake a leg”.

His co-presenter, Atiqa Odho, said to be one of Pakistan’s most glamourous stars, got carried away and said: “I hope you come down and dance a little with me.”

Atal Bihari Vajpayee would be hoping so, too.
Posted 10 Jul 2003

Image Insert:

59.86 KB
Posted 10 Jul 2003

~Fragi~ says
Posted 10 Jul 2003

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i luv junnooooooooooooooooooooooooooon................Ali Azmat is my jaann......haye how sweet...kitna cute lag raha hae na pic mein...[:)]
Posted 11 Jul 2003

sweetie says
hain.. who is ali azmat.. oh ahem ahem.. hoor k liye dulha mil gayaaaa.. mubarkaan. badhai ho badhaiii :D

Posted 12 Jul 2003

lolz
Posted 12 Jul 2003

yehh me happy wid ali azmat..le ker ao us ko jaldi se..[:)]
agar woh na mile to Vivek ko le ao..bus....in dono mei se kisi ek ko le ao..bus fir shweetie k bad meri shadi to paki hi pakii!
Posted 12 Jul 2003

dosselpoh says
lolzian......

yeh ali azmet ko koon tabah kernay ka sooch raha ha[:P]
Posted 12 Jul 2003

dosselpoh says
quote:
Originally posted by sweetie

hain.. who is ali azmat.. oh ahem ahem.. hoor k liye dulha mil gayaaaa.. mubarkaan. badhai ho badhaiii :D

main larki waloon ki taraf say aoon ga ya larkoon waloon ki taraf say......???????
Posted 12 Jul 2003

oye meri taraf se joji..[:)]
thek na?[:)]

n oye aram kar joji..ali azmat tabah hone nahi jaraha hea..us ki kismat khul gayi hae..[;)] kitna khush naseeb hae woh jis ko mei mil rahi hun...[;)]
Posted 14 Jul 2003

dosselpoh says
app to yehi kahain gee.....per main too is lye keh raha tha kay main us say mila hooon.......toobah bechara bara pareshan ha[:P]
Posted 14 Jul 2003

dosselpoh says
nahi main us ki taraf say aoon ga.....kamas kaam sarbala hi     ban jaoon ga.......kuch paisay hi hath lag gyen gay[;)]
Posted 14 Jul 2003

uff joji tum meri taraf se rehna..jitne paise chahiye honge mujh se lelena..itne kanjos na bano..har wakt paisa paisa......!
Posted 19 Jul 2003

~Fragi~ says
lolz hoor n shakawat ... .wah!
Posted 20 Jul 2003

hoor to thek hae..lekin shakawat? kia mutbal je..easy easy words use kia karo na.....
Posted 21 Jul 2003

dosselpoh says
quote:
Originally posted by london_ki_hoor

uff joji tum meri taraf se rehna..jitne paise chahiye honge mujh se lelena..itne kanjos na bano..har wakt paisa paisa......!

lolz

chalain app mujay card post ker dain ....... us ka card to a gya ha.jiss ka ziada acha howa us ki taraf say aoon ga....abb main us ko bhi to naraz nahi ker sakta na;P
Posted 21 Jul 2003

dosselpoh says
quote:

hoor to thek hae..lekin shakawat? kia mutbal je..easy easy words use kia karo na.....

jiss ka matlab na aye muj say pooch lye keroo:P
Posted 21 Jul 2003

han to joji tell karo sakhawat ka mutbal.....

n joji ok mei card bhejti hun..adress do.....!
Posted 26 Jul 2003

~Fragi~ says
ohm joji phir bata do gey n

ya mein mushkil words use kar lona
Posted 26 Jul 2003

~Fragi~ says
thz MG
Posted 27 Jul 2003

kis bat ki ejazat jee?[:O]
Posted 27 Jul 2003

~Fragi~ says
mushkil words use karney kee ...
Posted 29 Aug 2003

acha .. to dictionary ka bhi arrange ker lo..
Posted 30 Aug 2003

~Fragi~ says
oh ho answer to joji aur MG karien gein na
Posted 31 Aug 2003

dosselpoh says
quote:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i luv junnooooooooooooooooooooooooooon................Ali Azmat is my jaann......haye how sweet...kitna cute lag raha hae na pic mein...[:)]

app ko saray tinday hi pasand hein[grenade]
Posted 01 Sep 2003

dosselpoh says
quote:

nahi aisa na kahain.....q junoon band ka future harab kernay per tuli wii hein app[:P]
Posted 01 Sep 2003

dosselpoh says
quote:

agar woh na mile to Vivek ko le ao..bus....in dono mei se kisi ek ko le ao..bus fir shweetie k bad meri shadi to paki hi pakii!

mera faida ha.....doo doo bar sarbala banoon ga[baer]
Posted 01 Sep 2003

quote:
Originally posted by dosselpoh

quote:

app ko saray tinday hi pasand hein[grenade]

SHHHHHHHHHHH un k bare mei aise na kaho....[:(!]
Posted 01 Sep 2003

quote:

quote:

nahi aisa na kahain.....q junoon band ka future harab kernay per tuli wii hein app[:P]

tum kabhi khush na hona apni behen ke liye...[:(!] aur na hi behen ko khush hone dena..
meri khushiyon ke dushman.....[pistols]
Posted 01 Sep 2003

quote:

quote:

mera faida ha.....doo doo bar sarbala banoon ga[baer]

oh joji sarbala larke ki taraf se hota hae..aur yeh 2 bar kiun..[:(!]
ek hi bar shadi honi hae..woh to waise hi mei ne 2 choices di thei..u knoe choose 1 frm da following..[:P]
Posted 01 Sep 2003

quote:
oh joji sarbala larke ki taraf se hota hae..aur yeh 2 bar kiun..

sarbala ;) .. lol mujh ko nahi pata tha ... nice information :) aur han .. gussa kiun on joji .. lol
Posted 02 Sep 2003

Reply to Topic