A Letter from Pakistan To Meera

2450 views 248 replies
Reply to Topic
STANDARD

Total Posts: 2890

This is Meera's response to the fine in her own words ...

SEE THIS INTERVIEW THOSE PEOPLE WHO FAVORING MEERA SHOOTED OF A KISSING SCENE..
NO PAKISTANI MOVIE OF KISSING SCENE.
IF ANY TELL HERE ANY JANUBABA MEMBER HERE..

MEER HAS CLEARLY DENIED A KISSING SCENE TO SHOOT IN PAKISTANI MOVIE..IT'S CLEARED..SHE HAS DONE BLUNDER IN 'NAZAR'.

http://us.rediff.com/movies/2005/feb/24meera.htm

'Even if I have kissed, what wrong have I done?'

Syed Firdaus Ashraf | February 24, 2005

Is it a big deal for a hero and heroine to kiss on screen? Well, if you are the Pakistani goverment, it certainly is!

In fact, an outraged Pakistani government has fined popular Pakistani actress Meera for kissing Ashmit Patel in her Bollywood debut, Nazar. The film is directed by Mahesh Bhatt's wife, Soni Razdan.

"A certain lobby in Pakistan is purposely tarnishing my name because I am doing a Bollywood film in India," Meera tells News Editor (Entertainment) Syed Firdaus Ashraf.

"I have come here as a peace ambassador and there is a particular lobby in Pakistan that cannot digest this fact."

Excerpts from the interview:

What is the fine the Pakistani government has imposed on you for doing the kissing scene in Nazar?

At the moment, I have no idea.
I have got a letter from the Pakistani government but it's currently at the Pakistani embassy in New Delhi. I don't know the details of the letter.
Right now, I am in shooting in Panchgani (a hill station near Mumbai).
I am very disturbed by this news. Whatever happened is very bad.
We are doing this film to promote Indo-Pak ties. People have neither seen the promos, nor the film, and they have started gossiping about the kissing scene. These are the people who are against Indo-Pak friendship, and they are targeting this film through me.

Do you think this outcry against you is to malign you?

I think some people in Pakistan are trying to destroy my image. But I don't know who they are. They are trying to make sure our film industries do not come together.
I will talk to the Pakistani high commissioner and the information ministry of Pakistan and clear my stand.

What is Nazar about?

Nazar is the first joint-production between India and Pakistan. I am a Pakistani passport holder, and the first Pakistani heroine to come to India and shoot for a [Indian] film. Those who are opposing me are saying Ashmit Patel is Hindu and I am Muslim. They have stooped to such a low level, and are sounding so stupid.
Mahesh Bhatt is a sensible filmmaker and he is one of the biggest intellectuals of South Asia. I am sure people know he will not get into anything like this.
As far as the film is concerned, it is a mystery. It is a positive subject and a film that will promote friendship between the two countries. There is no controversy in it.We just performed at a Sanjay Dutt show. In the same way, some Indian artists are going to Pakistan to perform. But a section of people don't like it.

What is the general opinion of the people in Pakistan about this issue? Are they positive about a Pakistani actresses working in India?

Very positive! In Pakistan, people tell me, 'Meeraji, go to India and work!'

Kissing scenes are becoming common in our film industry. Don't Pakistani heroes and heroines kiss on the big screen?

I don't want to talk about this. I don't want to get into a controversy. I am a positive girl, and don't want to talk negatively. If it becomes a serious matter, I will open my mouth. Now, I want to avoid controversies. I want to keep the friendship between the two countries intact.

My question is that we see kissing scenes in the Indian film industry...

(Interrupts) Yes, it is normal in your industry. I have seen Madhuri Dixit, Sridevi and Aishwarya Rai doing kissing scenes. It is very backward to object to that. Our culture is the same; we are the same people! We feel the same way -- what people in India consider obscene, people in Pakistan consider the same thing obscene!
I don't understand -- even if I have kissed, what wrong have I done? It does not matter. It is just a normal shot in the film!

Have you ever kissed in a Pakistani film?

No, never. The censor board in Pakistan will not allow it. It is a Muslim country.
If you compare that with Bollywood films, you see kissing all the time. Shah Rukh Khan is kissing his heroines on their neck and cheeks. It is very casual and normal here.
Inshallah, I will have a press conference later and clarify my stance when I come to Mumbai.

Are Pakistani actresses allowed to wear revealing clothes or is that censored as well?

No, it is not that restricted. If they say they've fined me, then I can show many Pakistani films to the government that were not censored! I can directly point those films to the government and ask them where the censor board was then!
It is just because I am doing a role in India that they are objecting. I am playing a role of peace of ambassador in India. They are trying to destroy my role because I am the first Pakistani actress to work in India.
But this gossip is making my life miserable. If I start asking questions, no one will have the answers.

When Pakistani actresses Salma Agha and Zeba Bakhtiar came here, no objections were raised against them. So why are they targeting you?

They are British passport holders. I am the first Pakistani actress with a Pakistani passport. After 56 years, I am the first Pakistani actress to act in India. My family is very upset. I am not able to give a shot, as I am mentally tortured.
I am getting calls from Pakistan and I will make a file of this and meet Musharraf sahab (Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf) and discuss it with him.
I don't understand -- why am I being tortured? What wrong have I done?

How was the experience of coming to Bollywood?

Great! India is a great place to work in, and people here are very good.

How do you compare it with your film industry?

People here are very bold and open-minded. We are not bold in our films. The censors here are not that strict, compared to our censors.

Posted 27 Feb 2005

STANDARD says
Think it! Zeba Baktiar is most clean and well educated actress..she went to indian..but no convertial issue has been raised..because she has worked a fine role..
I will favor Zeba Baktiar Behaviour!
Posted 27 Feb 2005

STANDARD said:

NO PAKISTANI MOVIE OF KISSING SCENE.
IF ANY TELL HERE ANY JANUBABA MEMBER HERE..

MEER HAS CLEARLY DENIED A KISSING SCENE TO SHOOT IN PAKISTANI MOVIE..IT'S CLEARED..SHE HAS DONE BLUNDER IN 'NAZAR'.

http://us.rediff.com/movies/2005/feb/24meera.htm

'Even if I have kissed, what wrong have I done?'

Syed Firdaus Ashraf | February 24, 2005

Is it a big deal for a hero and heroine to kiss on screen? Well, if you are the Pakistani goverment, it certainly is!

In fact, an outraged Pakistani government has fined popular Pakistani actress Meera for kissing Ashmit Patel in her Bollywood debut, Nazar. The film is directed by Mahesh Bhatt's wife, Soni Razdan.

"A certain lobby in Pakistan is purposely tarnishing my name because I am doing a Bollywood film in India," Meera tells News Editor (Entertainment) Syed Firdaus Ashraf.

"I have come here as a peace ambassador and there is a particular lobby in Pakistan that cannot digest this fact."

Excerpts from the interview:

What is the fine the Pakistani government has imposed on you for doing the kissing scene in Nazar?

At the moment, I have no idea.
I have got a letter from the Pakistani government but it's currently at the Pakistani embassy in New Delhi. I don't know the details of the letter.
Right now, I am in shooting in Panchgani (a hill station near Mumbai).
I am very disturbed by this news. Whatever happened is very bad.
We are doing this film to promote Indo-Pak ties. People have neither seen the promos, nor the film, and they have started gossiping about the kissing scene. These are the people who are against Indo-Pak friendship, and they are targeting this film through me.

Do you think this outcry against you is to malign you?

I think some people in Pakistan are trying to destroy my image. But I don't know who they are. They are trying to make sure our film industries do not come together.
I will talk to the Pakistani high commissioner and the information ministry of Pakistan and clear my stand.

What is Nazar about?

Nazar is the first joint-production between India and Pakistan. I am a Pakistani passport holder, and the first Pakistani heroine to come to India and shoot for a [Indian] film. Those who are opposing me are saying Ashmit Patel is Hindu and I am Muslim. They have stooped to such a low level, and are sounding so stupid.
Mahesh Bhatt is a sensible filmmaker and he is one of the biggest intellectuals of South Asia. I am sure people know he will not get into anything like this.
As far as the film is concerned, it is a mystery. It is a positive subject and a film that will promote friendship between the two countries. There is no controversy in it.We just performed at a Sanjay Dutt show. In the same way, some Indian artists are going to Pakistan to perform. But a section of people don't like it.

What is the general opinion of the people in Pakistan about this issue? Are they positive about a Pakistani actresses working in India?

Very positive! In Pakistan, people tell me, 'Meeraji, go to India and work!'

Kissing scenes are becoming common in our film industry. Don't Pakistani heroes and heroines kiss on the big screen?

I don't want to talk about this. I don't want to get into a controversy. I am a positive girl, and don't want to talk negatively. If it becomes a serious matter, I will open my mouth. Now, I want to avoid controversies. I want to keep the friendship between the two countries intact.

sach karwa hota hai

My question is that we see kissing scenes in the Indian film industry...

(Interrupts) Yes, it is normal in your industry. I have seen Madhuri Dixit, Sridevi and Aishwarya Rai doing kissing scenes. It is very backward to object to that. Our culture is the same; we are the same people! We feel the same way -- what people in India consider obscene, people in Pakistan consider the same thing obscene!
I don't understand -- even if I have kissed, what wrong have I done? It does not matter. It is just a normal shot in the film!

Have you ever kissed in a Pakistani film?

No, never. The censor board in Pakistan will not allow it. It is a Muslim country.
If you compare that with Bollywood films, you see kissing all the time. Shah Rukh Khan is kissing his heroines on their neck and cheeks. It is very casual and normal here.
Inshallah, I will have a press conference later and clarify my stance when I come to Mumbai.

Are Pakistani actresses allowed to wear revealing clothes or is that censored as well?

No, it is not that restricted. If they say they've fined me, then I can show many Pakistani films to the government that were not censored! I can directly point those films to the government and ask them where the censor board was then!
It is just because I am doing a role in India that they are objecting. I am playing a role of peace of ambassador in India. They are trying to destroy my role because I am the first Pakistani actress to work in India.
But this gossip is making my life miserable. If I start asking questions, no one will have the answers.

When Pakistani actresses Salma Agha and Zeba Bakhtiar came here, no objections were raised against them. So why are they targeting you?

They are British passport holders. I am the first Pakistani actress with a Pakistani passport. After 56 years, I am the first Pakistani actress to act in India. My family is very upset. I am not able to give a shot, as I am mentally tortured.
I am getting calls from Pakistan and I will make a file of this and meet Musharraf sahab (Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf) and discuss it with him.
I don't understand -- why am I being tortured? What wrong have I done?

How was the experience of coming to Bollywood?

Great! India is a great place to work in, and people here are very good.

How do you compare it with your film industry?

People here are very bold and open-minded. We are not bold in our films. The censors here are not that strict, compared to our censors.

Posted 27 Feb 2005

who cares
Posted 27 Feb 2005

Blue Oasis says
STANDARD said:

...uhm how was this letter supposed to change/affect the stance of those people who aren't offended by Meera's scean? I say she's dealt with all the rubbish thrown at her very well.
Posted 28 Feb 2005

Xtreme says
yar let her kiss yeh mullah kab khamosh hoon gey !!
Posted 01 Mar 2005

its all bull sh*tt nothing else govt is koool they donot have any prob with that they might fine her but i was reading shaukat aziz resposnse to all this in a local news paper and he said that this is not that big issue actos shud work there in indai and indian actors shud work in pak but they shud care abt thier culture and all that atleast he was not like other jahil psycho mulla's who r saying that meera is nomore a muslim cuz he kissed the hindu bulllllllllllllll sh*ttttttt,thats the result of having uneducated people in national assembly pakistan zindabad
Posted 01 Mar 2005

tania says
i dont think she will get help from anyone in pakistan what do you think?
i mean she did do kissing scean but she should have not coz she went they to do movie not kissing even thought it was just scean but people in pakistan do not see that she never kissed in pakistan then why india where she has no right to do any sort like this
all i can say GOOD LUCK GIRL
Posted 07 Mar 2005

yoyo says
who cares i kiss different girls everyday, no one fines me.
Posted 07 Mar 2005

paki lion says
charizmatic said:

its all bull sh*tt nothing else govt is koool they donot have any prob with that they might fine her but i was reading shaukat aziz resposnse to all this in a local news paper and he said that this is not that big issue actos shud work there in indai and indian actors shud work in pak but they shud care abt thier culture and all that atleast he was not like other jahil psycho mulla's who r saying that meera is nomore a muslim cuz he kissed the hindu bulllllllllllllll sh*ttttttt,thats the result of having uneducated people in national assembly pakistan zindabad

i appreciate ur opinion, i wish this message could come as a slap on the mullah's face...that would be funny..
Posted 07 Mar 2005

Honeynrrn says
eeewwwww how much i hate her.How could she say that our culture is same.Is she a idiot,oh ya she is there is no dought.she did nothing wrong......ya Meera u didn't do anything wrong except that u r using the name of Pakistan and Islam with ur dirty persanolity.I really wanna use abusive langugae 4 u cuz u deservers nothing more than to be abused.U idoit go to hell.I just only can wish that someone should take the step and punish her for her stupidness.She has no brain.
Posted 08 Mar 2005

paki lion says
Honeynrrn said:

eeewwwww how much i hate her.How could she say that our culture is same.Is she a idiot,oh ya she is there is no dought.she did nothing wrong......ya Meera u didn't do anything wrong except that u r using the name of Pakistan and Islam with ur dirty persanolity.I really wanna use abusive langugae 4 u cuz u deservers nothing more than to be abused.U idoit go to hell.I just only can wish that someone should take the step and punish her for her stupidness.She has no brain.

if she is going to Hell why are u so bothered about her? After all its her life, she has fully the right to do that..no one has the right to interfere..
Posted 08 Mar 2005

Honeynrrn said:

i agree wit u
Posted 09 Mar 2005

khanwh says
Honeynrrn said:

You must be the mullah everyones talking about !
calm down take an asprin or something !
she has done nothing wrong !!!
Posted 09 Mar 2005

Honeynrrn says
paki lion said:

Honeynrrn said:

if she is going to Hell why are u so bothered about her? After all its her life, she has fully the right to do that..no one has the right to interfere..

i tell u why i bothered about her cuz she is using the name of Pakistan which is an Islamic country.If u think that Pak and Indian values and culture r same than u have to learn something.But if there is fool like her there can be more.And no when a person became a public property,it isn't his or her life at all.I damn care about her but i am a Pakistani and she is using the name of Pakistan with her dirty acts.I have all the rights to interfere cuz whatever she is doing there she is doing as a Pakistani.Now u understand it.
Posted 09 Mar 2005

Honeynrrn says
khanwh said:

Honeynrrn said:

Hey 4 ur kind information i am a student and she has done everything wrong and that is a fact.If u don't see it then i can't help it.U r not a Pakistani or a Muslim so u have no right to say it cuz u don't know Islamic Values.
Posted 09 Mar 2005

paki lion says
Honeynrrn said:

khanwh said:

Honeynrrn said:

Hey 4 ur kind information i am a student and she has done everything wrong and that is a fact.If u don't see it then i can't help it.U r not a Pakistani or a Muslim so u have no right to say it cuz u don't know Islamic Values.
well here goes other message for u, by playing a mullah doesn't make u a better muslim! u understand! if u hate meera coz she is not living like a muslim then ask urself a question wether u follow all islamic rulez! and one more thing, in Islam u cant force anyone to follow islamic rulez, this is strictly forbidden..but i dont want to argue anymore, coz i dont want to include religion in this topic...peace out..
Posted 09 Mar 2005

Honeynrrn says
just 4 ur kind information Mr. i am not a very good Muslim and i have no problems in addmiting that.I am a young girl and trying to be better.But i can't bear someone who is calling herself a Muslim,Pakistani and a peace symboll doing such type of things which r unbearable 4 Pakistanis.I have no problems with her but she is working as a Pakistani there.She is insulting all PAKISTANIS.By the way u don't even live in Pakistan so atleast u have no right to defend her cuz i don't know but it looks that u also forget ur values.I don't care about u but whatever she is doing i do care cuz she is still calling herself a Pakistani and a Muslim.I live in Pakistan even i am not a Pakistan national but i am loyal to where i am living.And just another information i hate Mullahs as much as u do cuz they r not true Muslims.I am a broad minded Muslim but it didn't free u from all of ur values.In her every interview she is denying what she has done.If this is none of our bussince then why this topic was put there and why u people r disscussing her cuz she is a public property and whatever she is doing its our bussince atleast its all Pakistanis bussince.
Posted 09 Mar 2005

valandrian says
bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458
bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458
bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458bd54458
bd54458
Posted 02 Jun 2018

Posted 17 Sep 2018

Posted 21 Oct 2018

Posted 09 Nov 2018

Posted 29 Apr 2020

vraiel says
audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatform
garbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiametergeartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnurse
getintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstate
handcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephonehangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphere
headregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterialjournallubricator
juicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalf
kilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestatekondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtree
lacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoor
landmarksensorlandreformlanduseratiolanguagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurve
leavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3listsnameresolutionnaphtheneseries
narrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystem
offsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberrypapercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadrupleworm
qualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchain
recessionconerecordedassignmentrectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodity
scrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysalestunguntacticaldiametertailstockcenter
tamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingultramaficrockultraviolettesting
Posted 16 May 2020

Posted 01 Jul 2020

Posted 01 Aug 2020

vraiel says
Posted 27 Sep 2020

vraiel says
Posted 27 Sep 2020

vraiel says
Posted 27 Sep 2020

vraiel says
Posted 27 Sep 2020

vraiel says