Why are women more affected with Autoimmune Diseases?

687 views 1 replies
Reply to Topic
evanmurray

Total Posts: 0

American researchers have developed a theory to explain why women are more exposed to autoimmune diseases than men. They encourage the scientific community to take greater account of biological differences between the two sexes and to respect parity.

Multiple sclerosis , lupus , rheumatoid arthritis ... Women are eight times more exposed to autoimmune diseases than men. These pathologies are linked to a dysfunction of the immune system, which forces it to attack the body's own constituents. In 2018, a study published in  The Lancet  showed that cancer treatments by immunotherapy would be more effective in men than in women. How to explain these differences?

A "compensation phenomenon" observed during pregnancy
An article published in  Trends in Genetics  by an interdisciplinary team at Arizona State University (ASU) advances the theory that increased exposure to women's autoimmune diseases is due to compensation "observed during pregnancy.

" Basically, the immune system of women has evolved to protect pregnant women from the presence of an immunologically invasive placenta and pregnancy, as well as to protect them from the aggression of parasites and pathogens. in modern, industrialized societies, fewer pregnancies are available, and not all women benefit from the placenta that pushes back the immune system, "says Melissa Wilson, assistant professor at the ASU School of Life Sciences and co-investigator. principal of the study.

Urban lifestyle and sedentary lifestyle also involved
According to scientists who signed this article, other criteria would be responsible for the increase in autoimmune diseases, such as living in urban areas and lack of physical activity. " We have moved from an active lifestyle to a sedentary lifestyle.We now have an overabundance of available calories, which potentially allows us to maintain excessive levels of hormones, including estrogen estradiol." Such high levels of hormones can increase the risk of triggering autoimmune diseases, "says researcher Angela Garcia, who also participated in the research.

The researchers stress the need to work on cohorts of parity patients (both men and women) in future research and to deepen the characterization of genes taking into account the environmental context and the personal history of patients and patients. patients.

" Our goal is to improve treatment for all, and we realize that cancer is different in men and women, in most cancers and other diseases, and so far in the development of cancer treatments. cancer, this has not really been taken into account, "says Heini Natri, postdoctoral researcher and co-author of the study

Posted 15 Jan 2020

neha1990 says

As part of the OnePlace2Save services offering, we have the knowledge and
expertise to manage all kinds of removals and jobs which require a trusted
Cheap man and van London.
For further reassurance that you are getting only the very best service, feel free
to read through some of our lovely reviews before you get in touch. &
search Cheap Man and van near me.
Cheap man and van London
Cheap moving Van
Hire removal Van
Cheap Man and van near me
Man with van central london
house removalservice
houseremovals service
house removalservices near me
House moving Companies House removals near me
OfficeClearance Services