Billboard caught up with Tracy Maurice

102 views 0 replies
Reply to Topic
lychee9416

Total Posts: 0

Billboard caught up with Tracy Maurice, the brand new York (then Montreal)-based specialit, designer, and filmmaker guiding the hand and quill this famously adorn the LP art of Arcade Fire’s debut. She proceeded to provide artwork to the band’s following album in addition, but it all started out with some wood works in 2004, pictured above.
“There was a seriously unique mix of music artists and musicians living in Montreal at that time, so we all approximately hung around together, ” Maurice explains Billboard via e-mail. During this social circle, she achieved Arcade Fire’s Win Butler via a mutual friend, who informed her he was searching for someone to provide record artwork for his band’s forth-coming debut. Butler and co-bandleader/wife Régine Chassagne appreciated the drawings she’d been taking care of, and picked her for your job.
Along with a group of then-unreleased Arcade Fire trails, the band shared “a few reference images and several old birth and loss of life certificates” to communicate its prevailing themes: childhood, death, and reflection of way back when and future. Both Butler and Chassagne had lost grandparents throughout the recording process, so Maurice were trusted with a project that came from a deeply personal area. Even so, the artist's personal articles -- photographs, musicsheets, prayer handmade cards, valentines, and illustrated books on the early 1900s -- fit the theme and inspired one more product, which she painted onto the pieces on the wooden planter.
“I wrapped the wood pieces all up while in the towel to protect these and rode my bike over to their place to show them, ” she remembers. Then we needed to try to scan the idea so we could send out it to Merge women and men pieces of wood were too large to have the art sit flat about the scanner. We had to saw them as a result of make it fit. It had been ridiculous, but it proved helpful. ”
Just after Funeral’s discharge, Maurice accompanied the band over a 20-city North American van-powered vacation as stage and lights director. "I remember blowing up drawings i always did at Kinkos, painting them from the hotel room, mounting them to foam core then hoisting them up behind the stage during the night, ” she says. “It was pretty low tech, but had some sensibility that we was all into. ”
While in the months (and years) in which followed, Funeral became the improbable success. First arrived the critical praise, then David Bowie was collaborating using them, then U2 was masking "Wake Up" live. They certainly wouldn't be touring within a van again. A far greater audience was paying attention for album number two, and Arcade Fire again turned to Maurice. This artist served as creative director for 2007’s Neon An individual, designing the artwork with the album, 7-inch singles, and ended up winning the year’s Juno Merit for Best CD Art work Design, thanks to this deluxe edition’s lenticular cover and two flip books.
“That was my favorite project to figure on with them, ” Maurice remembers. “I got to pattern a 7' neon sign that we thought the band could bring on tour and hang as a backdrop at live indicates, but it turned out it was too fragile to travel. I also got to help shoot this album logo or message on 16mm film, that was a real treat. It absolutely was really an exciting progression, we scanned single frames through the negatives. I also directed/art aimed the 'Black Mirror' training video (co-directed by Olivier Grouxl) in addition to some web/live show subject material. ”.
https://www.china-filterhousing.com/China-Stainless-Steel-Wine-Membrane-Filter-Beer-Lenticular-Filter-Housing-pd48978317.html 
201911ld
Posted 20 Jul 2020

Reply to Topic