Parents' Communication with Teens About Dating is Changing During the Pandemic

1560 views 16 replies
Reply to Topic
fruvens

Total Posts: 0

The pandemic has altered family life in unexpected ways. Some kids are happier now that they’ve gotten a chance to slow down; more people are cooking; and men have discovered housework. Parents’ conversations with their teens about dating and relationships, and their monitoring of their teens’ behavior, have also changed.
My research team — which included WCW Associate Research Scientist Lisette M. DeSouza, Ph.D., WCW Research Associate Amanda M. Richer, and Alicia Doyle Lynch, Ph.D., of Lynch Research Associates — surveyed 328 parents of high school students throughout the U.S. between March and June of this year. We asked questions about how they communicated with their teens about dating and relationships before schools closed due to COVID-19 as compared to afterwards. We also asked questions about their stress levels and whether and how they monitored their teens’ behavior.
What we found was a significant drop in parent-teen communication about dating and relationships once COVID hit. This makes sense: parents reported higher stress levels as many deal with sick family members, essential work requirements, financial difficulties, and the general anxiety of the pandemic, which likely leads them to focus on the immediate day-to-day needs of their families and put off these types of conversations. And with many teens stuck at home, parents may assume that relationships and physical intimacy in particular are on hold, so the need to talk about them is not as critical.
For example, one parent explained, “Having the added stress of constantly being together, and now having to not only be his parent, but his makeshift teacher, and then trying to talk about serious things too, has all been just too much.” Another parent shared, “The fact that kids are not interacting, thus there is no "dating" taking place, which is a little bit more difficult to talk about and put in context when it isn't happening.”
We also found an interesting change in gender roles among heterosexual parents. Mothers reported having fewer conversations with their teens about dating and relationships, and fathers reported monitoring their teens’ behavior more closely than before the pandemic. This increase in fathers’ monitoring may in part reflect fathers’ shift from working outside the home to being at home during the pandemic (61% of fathers made this transition compared to 39% of mothers). While mothers are still monitoring and communicating more than fathers, it may be that since many fathers are spending more time at home, parents’ roles have shifted, and fathers are taking a more active part in their teens’ lives.
More research is needed to delve into what this data means, but it’s an important reminder that parenting roles aren’t set in stone. Sometimes a crisis can prompt unpredictable and even positive changes. The way parents have communicated with and monitored their teens in the past doesn’t necessarily dictate their future actions. Thinking outside the box can help; though mothers are often assumed to be the ones in charge of having these conversations, my research has shown that fathers play an important role, as do extended families.
October is National Family Sexuality Education Month, which is as good a time as any to reassess family communication about dating and relationships. Even if teens are at home, they’re likely chatting with peers online, and may be forming new relationships or continuing existing ones. They may have different questions now about what’s appropriate or comfortable in a relationship. Maybe it’s time to start a conversation with them, and consider with fresh eyes who might have that conversation.
Jennifer Grossman, Ph.D., is a senior research scientist who leads the Family, Sexuality, and Communication Research Initiative at the Wellesley Centers for Women.
Posted 03 Dec 2020

mactlkky says
I have been in contact with this game for 9 years, which is 269 days without sleep, accounting for 3% of my current life.
If you are a King of Glory player, click on the personal homepage to find out your game rounds, multiply it by 20 (minutes), you can get similar data.
These quantified data are chilling, for no other reason, just because the first word that flashed into my mind was "a waste of time."
Then I started to blame myself, closed the interface hastily, opened the ppt and conceived the non-existent plan in front of the blank screen, completely forgetting that it was already 2:00 in the morning.
Said it is a concept, but it is actually just knocking on a bunch of words that have no practical effect, as if as long as one page of A4 paper is filled, anxiety will be squeezed out.
"I have to do something, I have to do something, I have to do something
seo consultant
Posted 03 Dec 2020

fuoos says
It is not a secret that teens are dating mainly online. And it is important to warn them what sites to avoid and what to use, check visalia listcrawler. Sometimes young people do not realize fully that risks may away them even in front of the computer. So they should learn how to stay protected online. The first thing to explain is what things should always remain private.
Posted 05 Dec 2020

Wow! very helpful information thanks for sharing!   lawn care lafayette la
Posted 07 Jan 2021

Dure1935 says
Yes, you are right. I also noticed that this pandemic changed many things but I think some things are the same. For now, I can tell you about ts dating site which you can use ?if you are getting bore in this pandemic or you need a good transgender dating site.
Posted 24 May 2021

Guinn says
Great post as always! We do web design Virginia Beach
Posted 07 Aug 2021

yeoyeo says
I can see the end as it begins cleaners in lubbock tx
Posted 23 Aug 2021

hookaye says
Enjoyed reading here! 24 hour crime scene cleaning
Posted 07 Sep 2021

Guinn says
Great! Thank you. Gutter cleaning Lancaster PA
Posted 24 Sep 2021

Posted 27 Sep 2021

Guinn says
Posted 05 Oct 2021

hookaye says
Thanks for this. financing help
Posted 13 Oct 2021

cassey01 says
I was very encouraged to find this site. The reason being that this is such an informative post. Thanks for sharing!
timber floors newcastle
Posted 11 Nov 2021

valith says
Great right up! You make a lot of brilliant points. basement renovations
Posted 14 Nov 2021

Breana says
Glad to check this awesome site. land surveyor Greenwood IN
Posted 17 Nov 2021

Janwil says
This is awesome information you shared. property line survey
Posted 17 Nov 2021

seoexpret says
I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... shenglu.com/best-wifi-antenna-factory-sl15891c.html
Posted 07 Dec 2022

Reply to Topic