earth quake

10975 views 298 replies
Reply to Topic
~dipsominiac~

Total Posts: 2352

Police and rescue workers at the site of a building that collapsed in Islamabad.

THIS IS MARGALLA TOWERS F-10 SECTOR ISLAMABAD.
A 10 STORY BUILDING WHERE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WERE LIVING AND DUE TO HOLIDAY IN SCHOOLS COZ TODAY IS SATURDAY ALMOST ALL OF CHILDREN WERE AT HOMES. SO WOMEN AND CHILDREN WERE THERE.... THESE ARE LIVING APARTMENTS...at the time of earth quake almost 200 people where inside

Toll rises in major Pakistan quake

Saturday, October 8, 2005; Posted: 4:00 a.m. EDT (08:00 GMT)

(CNN) -- At least 19 people were killed and hundreds more injured when a magnitude 7.6 earthquake centered near Islamabad, Pakistan, jolted residents of three countries as far as 400 miles away.

Frantic efforts to rescue survivors were underway in Islamabad, where an apartment building collapsed.

Elsewhere in Pakistan, preliminary reports indicate "widespread damage," particularly in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir and the country's northern area, Maj. Gen. Shauket Sultan, Pakistani army spokesman, told CNN.

But communication disruptions in those areas meant information was sketchy, he said. A helicopter rescue operation was launched.

Fourteen of those killed were in Pakistan, including a girl killed when her school was damaged in Rawalpindi, near Islamabad. Four others died in Manshera and nine in Pakistani-controlled Kashmir and the country's northern region, authorities said.

Police in Indian-controlled Kashmir reported five deaths -- three in the town of Baramulla and two in Srinagar. Also, about 150 people have gone to Srinagar hospitals with a combination of physical injuries and shock, police said. Nearly 200 houses in the region have been damaged by the quake.

Initial reports from Islamabad indicate that a two-block area was damaged, Pakistani Information Minister Shaikh Rashid Ahmad told CNN.

Video footage from Pakistani television showed crowds of people climbing on the rubble of the collapsed apartment building and attempting to free those trapped under large concrete slabs. Some of the injured were carried away on stretchers.

The temblor's epicenter was 60 miles (about 100 kilometers) north-northeast of Islamabad and more than six miles below the Earth's surface, according to the Web site of the U.S. Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center.

The quake, which struck about 8:50 a.m. local time (11:50 p.m. Friday EDT, 3.50 a.m. Saturday GMT), was believed to be the strongest in Pakistan in nearly 20 years. Many citizens were still in their beds at the time.

"My wife and I grabbed our daughter and ran outside immediately," Danny Kemp, deputy Islamabad bureau chief for Agence France-Presse, told CNN. Pine trees and light poles were shaking, he said. "I've never felt anything like it."

The quake was "quite shallow," said David Applegate, senior science advisor for earthquake and geologic hazards for the U.S. Geological Survey. "That means the shaking is going to be very intense."

The fact that Islamabad was near the epicenter "means a fairly large urban population has experienced some strong shaking," Applegate said.

There have been some initial aftershocks, he said, "and we expect quite a number more" -- some in the 6-plus magnitude range. Those aftershocks could cause additional damage to structures already weakened by the first quake, he said.

The largest of those, which struck less than an hour after the strongest quake., was measured at magnitude 5.9, according to the National Earthquake Information Center. Others included two 5.6-magnitude quakes and one at 5.4 magnitude, the center said.

Pakistan traditionally has been an active region for earthquakes, Applegate said. Saturday's quake was a "thrust" earthquake, caused by friction between the Indian subcontinent as it pushes against Asia. Although it is the same kind of mechanism that creates tsunamis, the quake was centered far enough inland that there was no danger of a tsunami, he said.

Aftershocks could continue for several days before beginning to decrease, Applegate said.

The quake was also felt in India and Afghanistan. In New Delhi, some 400 miles from Islamabad, buildings swayed and furniture moved, causing widespread panic among residents, many of whom rushed into the streets.

A 7.6 quake is classified as "major," according to the scale used by the center.

Japan's Meteorological Agency judged the quake's magnitude as a 7.8.

In February 2004, a pair of earthquakes registering 5.5 and 5.4 magnitude, respectively, killed at least 21 people and injured dozens more and destroyed hundreds of homes built of mud, stone and timber in a rugged, mountainous area about 90 miles northwest of Islamabad.

In January 2001, some 30,000 people died in a 7.7 quake in western India.

CNN Senior International Correspondent Satinder Bindra, CNN Producer Syed Mohsin Naqvi and Journalist Mukhtar Ahmed in Srinagar contributed to this report.
Posted 08 Oct 2005

I JUST WANT U GUYS TO PRAY...
I JUST CAME BACK FROM BANK... N HUMARAY BANK MAIN BHI DO FLOORS PAY CRACK AAY HAIN... 14TH AND 4TH...
THE PEOPLE WHO WERE OUTSIDE WERE TELLING US DAT BUILDING WAS SHAKING LIKE HELL... IT WAS SWINGING AND WEN WE WERE ABT TO GO OUT IT BECAME SO INTENSE THAT WE JUST SAT ON THE FLOOR...
THEN WE WERE ASKED TO LEAVE THE BUILDING...
ALLAH SAB KO APNAY IMAN MAIN RAKHAY AMEEN SUMA AMEEN

SAB BANKS KHALI KARA DIYAY HAIN SAB BUILDING KHALI KARWA DEEN HAIN....

KUCH VILLAGES TU BILKUL KHATAM HO CHUKAY HAIN
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Allah ka azab hay hum par yeh
Posted 08 Oct 2005

MARGALLAH TOWERS

Posted 08 Oct 2005

nikama says
pehlay lagta tha ke shaid ziada nuqsan nahin huwa but there must be thousands affected.is mubarik maheenay main aisa azaab?
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Allah sab ko apni hifazat main rakhe
Posted 08 Oct 2005

helicopters are all over the sky here.... roads pay itni ambulances hain...
hospitals main jagha nahin hai yahan... docotrs parks main logon ko daikh rahay hain...
margallah towers kay pas logon kay sheekhnay ki awazain aa rahi hain jo malbay main dabbay hoay hain.... n phir aa raha hai zalzala... abhi phir aa rah hai
Posted 08 Oct 2005

31 in pims, 9 in ploy clinic, 2 died

this is isb
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Bas Allah nay phir bhi karam kya.............

Main tab clinic ki tayyari ker rahi thi
I felt kay refiregator main say kuch awaz aaye hai socha may be compressor ki awaz hain then nazer saath hi hilti chaitr per pari
then I felt mujhay chaker kyun aa rahay hain and within 5 seconds
oh God zilzala hai
main kamray say baahir bhafi Amkmi ko bataya tab tak woh samajh chuki thin
2 minut tak leher kaafi taiz thi
may be 3-4 mintes lagay hon sakoon honay main
Main nay foren GEO on kya 2 mintes kay baad wahan report chal rahi thi
3 minutes kay baad I felt abhi tak shayed mera dimagh thikanay nahin aaya yeh chair kyun hil rahi hai
woh aik aur leher thi

is sab kay doran mujhay doosary aisay sab incidents yaad aaye kay kya hamara bhi wohi hasher honay ja raha hai

7.6 tha ager 8 tak chala jata to.....................

Allah nay keram kya

Isb say 95 km door tha markaz is zilzilay ka
so wahan baar baar baad main bhi halki lehrain aati rahin
sindh kay illawa baqi sab provinces main zilzila aaya tha
India, Afghanistan, Kashmir Tak............
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Doctor Sam says
Allah Ta'ala sab ko apni hifz-o-amaan main rakhay.
this is a severe shock,
Allah Ta'ala sab ki hifaazat karay..

Aameen Ya Rabbul AALAMEEN
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Doctor Sam says
i was in the lecture hall, taking test,

ooh i went out of my senses, honestly, mujhe kuch dair samajh e nahi aaya wt is happening, we all students ran outside, with answer sheets in our hands...

Terrible

Posted 08 Oct 2005

Dipso aap ISB main ho?
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Doctor Sam says
i was in the lecture hall, taking test,

ooh i went out of my senses, honestly, mujhe kuch dair samajh e nahi aaya wt is happening, we all students ran outside, with answer sheets in our hands...

Terrible

Posted 08 Oct 2005

ya me in isb...
i was in bank when the bank was swinging like a pandolem
Posted 08 Oct 2005

n its a 14 story bank... main branch... jis ki 2 floors crack ho gayee hain... i just came back...
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Lahore main bhi shah alam market main kuch shops gir gaye hain 6 log injured
narowal main aik bachi ki death hui gher ki deewar girnay say
rawelpindi kay aik railway school ki chhatain girnay say students injured
bohat si masjidon kay meenaar gir gaye

Pakistan hil kay reh gaya hai
Posted 08 Oct 2005

people were saying aik aur aaisa aya tu ya building gir jaay gi...Allah na karay
Posted 08 Oct 2005

pindi main aik school ki bachi ki bhi death ho gayee hai... isb main bhi hoyee hai kuch logon ki
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Doctor Sam says
abhi to jo tower main jin logon ki residence thi,

Posted 08 Oct 2005

jo buildings crack ho gai hain wahan kaam kerna to risky hai
zahir hai aik attack say buniyaad kamzor to ho gai na
aur phir itni stories wali buildings to zahir hai
nuqsan to kaafi hua hai
Posted 08 Oct 2005

woh tha hi residential tower...wahan koi office nahin tha... woh residential tower hai
Posted 08 Oct 2005

nikama says
i am in melody right now the roads leading to f10 are being closed by the authorities.major problem is traffic since it is the rush hour in isb.but thanks God the rescue operation was started well in time.poly clinic hospital is packed to the doors by the patients and attendents.
Posted 08 Oct 2005

main so raha kay achank ami kay chhekne kiawa aaye main bahga to yaad aaya bhai under hay to wapis aaa kar us ko sath le kar gaya

Ghar ki back wall damage hui hay
Posted 08 Oct 2005

athorities asked the public that plz dont travel on the road leading to F10 coz theres risk of traffice jam n in dat case ambulances will be facing problems... GEO and PTV is telecasting the inicedent and showing margallah towers jo aik tower say malbay ka dhair ban gaya ha
Posted 08 Oct 2005

nikama says
but the loss is not limited to the twin cities.kashmir ad northern areas have also been severly hit.
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Ohh then wat abut death toll
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Residents search the wreckage of an Islamabad tower block
Posted 08 Oct 2005

The quake in Kashmir had a magnitude of at least 7.6. The epicentre was 80km (50 miles) north-east of Islamabad.

Pakistan's interior ministry says several villages have been wiped out. A government official said the eventual death toll could be "very high".

Rescuers are trying to reach dozens of residents feared trapped in collapsed buildings in Islamabad.

Residents in the Afghan capital, Kabul, and India's capital, Delhi, are also reported to have felt the tremor.

At least 39 people, including 15 soldiers, have been confirmed dead in Indian-administered Kashmir.

Posted 08 Oct 2005

Aftershocks

Pakistan's Interior Minister Aftab Sherpao told local television: "We have reports that several entire villages have been wiped out."

Posted 08 Oct 2005

nikama says
n.b.ziada nuqsan to nahin huwa?
Posted 08 Oct 2005

The BBC's Zaffar Abbas in the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, says aftershocks were being felt there and people were still out on the streets, afraid to go back into their homes.

Two buildings of the Margalla Towers residential complex collapsed in the city.

The BBC's Barbara Plett at the scene says there is a small hill of broken concrete over which and under which rescue workers are desperately trying to dig out survivors.

Government official, Mohammad Ali, told Reuters: "I just cannot say how many people are still under there and we are trying to evacuate them.

"Over 75 apartments were affected so the number of people is in the hundreds."

Posted 08 Oct 2005

Reply to Topic