Fishless cycling question

280 views 2 replies
Reply to Topic
Inespolo

Total Posts: 0

I have read the guide to cycling on pisces on this forum and many others. I wanted to get information from experienced aquarium lovers. I use ammonia to ride Dr. Tim's fish bike. I added ammonia every morning and checked it the next morning at about the same time. Ammonia always shows 0, and nitrite always shows 1 ppm. That hasn't changed. The PH is stable at 8.0, and I used Tetra Safe Start plus.

My question is that I read that you need to keep adding ammonia every day because if you don't, you will starve your bacterial colonies, is that true? The thread I just read on the forum says that once your aquarium starts using ammonia within 24 hours, you need to focus on reducing nitrites rather than adding ammonia.

In addition, I have heard a lot of contradictory advice about changing the water. This forum says that they need to be done, and many others say that this is not necessary. I'm also running out of Dr. Tim's ammonium soon, and the next bottle won't be here until early November, will that stop my cycle too?

I also read that taking a "squeeze" from my installed aquarium with tropical fish will greatly help in the production of beneficial bacteria, has anyone done this?

Posted 02 Nov 2021

Artemka says
Your information is really very interesting and useful! Thank you very much!!
Posted 03 Nov 2021

Milka234 says
Aquatic plants perform a number of important functions: they do not allow algae to multiply, absorb nitrogenous compounds, and also saturate the tank with oxygen. Plants are the "lungs" of any artificial reservoir, shelter, and protection for its inhabitants, as well as an excellent decoration that can diversify the landscape and add bright colors to it. Ceratophyllum is one of my most favorites, amongst Cladophora spherical, Indian Fern, and many other aquarium plants since, firstly, it’s not fancy but quite affordable at the same time, and secondly, it has good filtering properties. Hornwort purifies water from nitrogenous compounds, high concentrations of which can poison fish
Posted 03 Nov 2021

Reply to Topic