Amazon’s New World wants you to walk miles to see your friends

160 views 0 replies
Reply to Topic
freeamfva

Total Posts: 0

My journey through Amazon’s first massively multiplayer online role-playing game “New World” began innocently enough. I played through the first few quests, killing corrupted creatures and crafting basic tools. I prepared to meet my friend Andrea, who was playing with me on a voice call.To get more news about buy new world coins, you can visit spieltimes.com official website.
That was the beginning of our problems. We slowly realized that “New World” spawns new players at four points across the game’s massive map, meaning friends who want to play together might have to quest for hours before meeting up. (There is a workaround to this problem, but not one that the game tells new players about.)
Before the Aug. 31 launch of Amazon’s “New World” (available on PC for $39.99), the company held a closed beta from July 20 to Aug. 2. The beta gave a great overview of the game’s potential, from its vivid scenery to its robust global chat, but also highlighted a lot of its shortcomings. The game is set on the island of Aeternum, where players create a character that was shipwrecked and must slowly grow more powerful over time, using a sword, an ax, a bow or a gun while uncovering more of the world’s lore.
After wandering around camp aimlessly, not finding my friend and checking a map, I asked her to share her screen via Discord. That’s when I realized we were both doing the same quests — but with different non-playable characters giving us those quests. I set her location as a waypoint on my end, only to discover she was four kilometers away, a distance that would take around an hour to traverse.
There’s a workaround, but it’s hardly self-evident. At the very first quest you receive in the game, you can hand in the quest to the non-playable character and see which zone you’re in. But if you don’t accept the next quest from that character, you can instead open the map to see four watchtowers, all with available quests. You can then choose which area you’d like to go to. It’s unintuitive to back out of a quest and check the map first, but by taking this step, you’ll be able to play with friends and not end up stranded like me.
I began walking toward Andrea, but there were mountains all along the border of Monarch’s Bluff, the zone my character spawned in, and First Light, where Andrea’s character had spawned. Undeterred, I walked all the way past the mountains, making my way along the main road.
During my trek, I polled players globally about their thoughts on Amazon founder Jeff Bezos going to space, which coincided with the day the “New World” closed beta began. Most players ignored my question, though it was clear the man was on people’s minds. One player I came across was named “Jeffie Bezzie”. Another jokingly begged in chat for Bezos not to ban them for using profanity. “New World” was developed by Amazon Game Studios, the games division of Amazon; Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s founder, owns The Washington Post.
Posted 13 Dec 2021

Reply to Topic