Tents for installation in a storm

358 views 3 replies
Reply to Topic
Albert12

Total Posts: 0

There are a lot of really good tents on the market.
But here is one way to reduce the search for a tent for mountaineering for one or two people.
When you set up a tent during a storm, you should have a tent that holds the inner tent and the fly together before the poles are set up.
This keeps the inner tent clean and dry.
Any tent that requires you to set it up together with the 1st inner tent and then with poles means that the inner tent will be wet during a storm. Yes, a reason for reflection, especially if you have one of these beauties.
A postscript and the last word "tents worthy of a storm". Any tent whose open door allows rain or snow to fall directly on the ground is not a good design. Most of them are so-called "wedge-shaped" tents. I've been there, it's done.
You need a tent with a decent lobby to store a backpack and shoes and even cook during severe storms.
Suggestion: Yes, I'm a fan of tarpaulins, and I recommend them for their storm-worthy design. They have a large queue of single and double tents. And they are all "made in the USA".
Posted 23 Feb 2022

allcopstan says
Winter camping can be fun! ... finding firewood under a heavy snow cover-even more so.

I camp in jeeps, often at about 9,000 feet above sea level; but now I rarely go camping in the winter (getting too old).. therefore, the following does not apply to tourists...

However, in my experience, warmth is better several layers of clothes and a warm sleeping bag (my multilayer, than my clothes; outdoor warm bag, inner lining for a poncho (military uniforms) and, finally, the inner lining for the handbag (cheap plush bag for the night (wallymart)) IF it gets really cold, I can wrap a military rubber bag powered by rain poncho, but this means that the next day I will have to dry the bag and its diapers... I only sleep in boxers and a beanie.

I use a crib with foam padding (cut the 3-inch foam padding (including fingers) for the hospital bed) sometimes I also use the Coleman padding that is attached to the crib.
I tend to have cold feet and I've tried a lot of products, the best one right now is a fluffy bath mat (walmart) that I can get and slide off the floor to cover my feet in the middle of the night.

Posted 23 Feb 2022

Killmonger says
My tent in winter is usually a domed Eureka measuring 9 x 9 inches; the same one I use for fast summer trips, not even a tent for 3 seasons. I reduce the ventilation area of the tent by using transparent soft plastic on the vents (making sure that sufficient space is always left for ventilation).
I regularly had to get up to shake the snow off the tent.

I've tried a lot of heaters, but at best they only work well to heat the tent before you get in or out of the sleeping bag... be careful to always leave suitable vents within ten when using an oxygen consuming device, I don't sleep with the tent heater on.
Every few years here, someone will kill themselves trying to heat a camper, tent or paddock with charcoal; learn how to shape their disappearance.

Beware of hypothermia; several people have already moved to the camp, showing symptoms in the winter. After warming them up, I took them back to the city; if they hadn't found us, they might have been found in the spring... or not.

Posted 23 Feb 2022

Xianders says
You have no idea how many times I've been in terrible weather conditions while camping with friends and family. Many times there were severe storms, so many tents got wet, and we had to go home to avoid getting sick. But I bought a tent made of waterproof material on everest.com . This tent protects me from the rains and also allows me to continue watching the stars with my telescope. So far, this tent serves as it should and holds back heavy rains. If something changes, I will definitely leave a review.
Posted 01 Mar 2022

Reply to Topic