Muharram

2261 views 32 replies
Reply to Topic
Fairl_Girl

Total Posts: 26920

The Month of Muharram
Introduction

With the sighting of the new moon the Islamic new year is ushered in. The first month Muharram, is a month of great reward and virtue. Muharram itself means `sacred' and is from those months which have been mentioned as sacred in the Holy Quraan.
Almighty Allah states in the Holy Quraan:

"Four of them ( Zil-Qadah, Zil-Hijjah, Muharram and Rajab) are sacred."
(Surah At-Tawbah:36)
Virtues

From out of the four sacred months, Muharram has been blessed with certain specific virtues:-
The Holy Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) said:

"The best of fasts besides the month of Ramadhan is the fasting of Allah's month of Muharram."
(Muslim)

In another Hadeeth, Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radhiyallahu-Anhu) reports: "that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) said: "The one that keeps a fast in the month of Muharram will receive the reward of thirty fasts for each fast (in this sacred month)."

(Tabraani)

Although the fasts of the month of Muharram are not obligatory, the one who fasts in these days out of his own will and choice is entitled to a great reward by Almighty Allah. The Hadith citied above signifies that the fasts of the month of Muharram are the most rewardable among the Nafl fasts i.e. the fasts one observes out of his own choice without being obligatory on him.

The Hadith does not mean that the reward promised for fasts of Muharram can only be attained by fasting for the whole month. On the contrary, each fast during this month has merit. Therefore, one should take advantage of this opportunity.

The Day of Aashora (10th Muharram)

Although the month of Muharram is a sacred month as a whole, the 10 th of Muharram is the most sacred among all its days. The day is named 'Ashurah'. It is one of the most important and blessed days of Allah in the Islamic calendar.

According to the Holy companion, Ibn Abbas Radhiallaho Anhu, when the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam migrated to Madinah, he found that the Jews of Madinah used to fast on the 10 th day of Muharram. They said that it was the day on which the Holy Prophet Musa Alayhis Salaam and his followers crossed the Red Sea miraculously, and the Pharaoh was drowned in its water. On hearing this from the Jews, the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam said, "We are more closely related to Musa than you." So the Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam directed the Muslims to fast on the day of Ashura. (Abu Dawood)

According to another Hadith, it is more advisable that the fast of Ashura should be either preceeded or suceded by an additional fast. It means that one should fast two days: the 9 th and 10 th of Muharram or the 10 th and 11 th . The reason of this additional fast as mentioned by the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam is that the Jews used to fast on the day of Ashura alone, and the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wassallam wanted to distinguish the Islmaic-way of fasting from that of the Jews. Therefore, he advised the Muslims to add another fast to the day of Ashura.

Some Ulama (scholars) are of the opinion that before the fasts of Ramadhan were made compulsory, the fast of the day of Aashora was compulsory upon the Ummah.

This is stated in a Hadeeth reported by Hazrat Aisha (Radhiyallahu-Anha):

"that the Holy Prophet Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) ordered the observance of the fast of Aashora. However, when the fast of Ramadhan became compulsory, then whosoever wished, kept this fast and whosoever desired did not observe this fast."
(Bukhari)
But, nevertheless the Prophet (Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam) continued to fast this day and encouraged his Companions to do the same.

Recommended deeds on the day of Aashora
Posted 22 Jan 2007

DejaVu077 says
Very Nice post.           
thanx for sharing
Posted 22 Jan 2007

DejaVu077 says
Happy new Islamic Year to every one
Posted 22 Jan 2007

kOoLeSt1 says
ya happy new islamic year
Posted 22 Jan 2007

~tasha~ says
same to u guyz
Posted 22 Jan 2007

veer_zaara says
is Ashura day on tuesday in pakistan?
Posted 29 Jan 2007

F-Girl, thanks
That is the day of Ashoora - the blessed day and the blessed month of Muharram - No more, no less.
Posted 29 Jan 2007

jazakallah
Posted 30 Jan 2007

why does ppl hit themselves?
Posted 01 Feb 2007

~Fragi~ says
woh eik aqeedat hia bus
Posted 06 Feb 2007

act of emotion can not be catecorized as "aqidat"!

Aqidat is a set of believes that a believers contracts with Allah to remain in the fold of Islam as outlined in the Quran. Leaving or altering any of it throws one out of the fold of Islam. Thus self-beating is not part of the aqidah, neither found in Quran nor in traditions of the prophet. it is rather a later day tradition and expression of emotions. Right or wrong! you will find arguments on both sides.
Posted 06 Feb 2007

Fairl_Girl says
no SD its not traditions
hasool saw ke nawase imam husain a.s ko bi ghoona mara tha unper bohat zulim kiye thay unke ghar walo per imam a.s ko 13 bar unke gharden per takwar chalaye unko teer bohat lagaye thay unka ser mubarak kalam kia aur body per ghoore chalaye zalimo ne usko ghooro se pamal bola jata hai bibiyo ki chadray luti gaye jinhone kabi chadar utare nahi thi yeh nabi saw ka gharana tha is waja se hum yeh zulim ka suntay hai to hum matam kartay hai zenjiro ka kanjir ka fire ka humse suna nahi jata ki humare imam a.s per itne zulim kiye IS WAJA SE HUM GHUM MAIN YEH KARTAY HAI YEH MATAMAY HUSAIN A.S YEH HUM PURSA DHETAY HAI KALAY KAPRE PEHANTAY HAI NIYAZ KARTAY HAI
Posted 12 Feb 2007

ok, it is neither part of aqidah nor it is tradition, then what is it?
Don't take me wrong, I understand your regard for the family of Allah's messenger. I respect everybody's view point but I would really like to know how you place Ma'tam in the composite picture of Islam.

Posted 12 Feb 2007

its wrong how they hit their self..even bachey bhi aisey kartey hain
Posted 12 Feb 2007

srk, declaring a thing right or wrong can rub other people in a wrong way. Because it alienates one section of ummah from the other. Again, I would say, we respect the choices people make but we don't make judgment on it. This is simply because such declarations cause more division among muslims. We may disagree on issues but must refrain from criticising on sensitive issues. Restraints from conflicts, especially that do not pertain to our religious fundamentals, can bring us closer to each other.

I only want to stress on two points, one, Muslims are generally invloved in many serious social ills that constitute major sins. we better focus on correcting those. Two, the enemy of Islam and Muslims wants to see neither of its factions prosper. So, let us put our differences behind us. We have to survive first.
Posted 13 Feb 2007

Posted 13 Feb 2007

wrong is wrong..
Posted 13 Feb 2007

ok, so where do you go from here? some others may say its right ... and right is right!!

where would this end up, I bet you, nowhere! ...and hardheaded idiots will keep harping: "right is right and wrong is wrong" without any benefit to anyone.

may Allah replace our ignorance with wisdom and sensibility, Ameen

Posted 14 Feb 2007

what does quran says?
Posted 14 Feb 2007

about what?
Posted 14 Feb 2007

hitting ur self?
Posted 14 Feb 2007

why don't you tell me for a change with reference to appropriate ayah. Then I will present to you a a question or two.
Posted 14 Feb 2007

i will post tomorrow
Posted 14 Feb 2007

any luck yet
Posted 16 Feb 2007

Fairl_Girl says
Smooth_daddy said:

ok, it is neither part of aqidah nor it is tradition, then what is it?
Don't take me wrong, I understand your regard for the family of Allah's messenger. I respect everybody's view point but I would really like to know how you place Ma'tam in the composite picture of Islam.

han aqidha bol sakte hai per yeh zaberdasti nahi ki apko karna hi hai to bas karna hi hai
bohat firka e jaffariya ke log ya aur jisko aqidha hai woh zarore nahi ki aise matam karay aur yeh jo kartay hai apni marzi apni raza se kartay hai koi force nahihota isper ki lazim hai karna ujhe yeh bi bat bnataye ki sunni jo hai woh majlise kyon pher rahayhai aur matam bi kar rahe hai woh to nahi mante
Posted 16 Feb 2007

FG: you ain't getting my point. I am only trying to drive one point home. That is, differences of practices among muslims do not expel the other group out of Islam. We must therfore understand the point of unity and stress on it which is the aqidah of all muslims.

Definition of Aqida is the contract of belief with Allah swt. something that is very very fundamental to muslim belief system. If any of the conditions of aqidah are not fullfilled, that person is not a muslim.

Based on this, tell me if someone doesn't believe in the historical event of karbala just the same way a group of muslims do, have they denied any basic requirements of aqidah? if yes, that means they are out of the fold of Islam and you will have to bring proof from Quran to establishes this ruling, because conditions of aqidah are explicitly given in the Quran.

If your answer to that is no! then it can not be part of aqidah, that means rituals of Muharram are only traditions. Anybody who follows it, that's their personal act and it should be respected. And anybody who does not follow it, are believers like the other because they believe in the same articles of faith.
Posted 16 Feb 2007

bhayi mere hisab sai tu ... agar aap HAZRAT MOHAMMAD P.B.U.H.KI RESPECT KARTEY HAIN UNSAI MOHABBAT KARTEY HAIN .. AUR AGAR AAP UNKO SAHI TARIKAY SAI PEHCHANTAY HAIN..TU IMAM HUSSAIN A.S UNKAI NAWASAY THAY .. RITE.. .. IM ALSO SHIA ... hussain ka gham MOHAMMAD KA GHAM .. UNKI ULAD KO ZIBAH KARDIA ..
KION SIRF DEKHTEY HO KAI YEH HUSSAIN HAI ...AGAR TUM RASOOL KO JANTAY HOGAY TU HUSSAIN PAR SAWAL NAHI UTHAYOGAY..
HITTING URSELF ? SUPPOSE JAB AAPKA KOI APNA DOOR CHALA JATA HAY TU AAP USKAI LIYEH DHOOL BAJATAY HO YA RAKSH KARTEY HOO.. ZAHIRI BAAT HAY GAM HI MANATAY HONA..TU GHAM KIA HAI ...AGAR HUSSAIN KA GHAM NAHI MANA SAKTEY TU N TU RASOOL KAI NAWASAY KA HI GHAM MANA KAR DEKH LIA KARO ..
Posted 24 Feb 2007

HAM SADDAM HUSSAIN KI PHANSI PAR TU ANSOO BAHA SKATEY HAIN .. PAR NAHI JAHAN SHOOHDA-E- KARBALA KI BAAT AYEGEE ..WAHAN ???....
Posted 24 Feb 2007

HUSSAINI NOHAM SHEHER SHEHER HAI ..
HUSAINI MATAM GALI GALI HAIIIII..

LIVE LIKE ALI .. DIE LIKE HUSSAIN

ya ALI ALLAH MADAD
Posted 24 Feb 2007

MS, your feelings are well respected, but that ain't answer to my question. If it was a matter of what academic arguments, I can present amny emotional points to prove you wrong and you can do they same. This will lead us nowhere but bitter feelings and may be more. I am not arguing on the issue of Hussain RA and his high standing among the shuhada of islam. Some may take it to a different level according to their understanding. But that has nothing to do with the aqeedah of a believer. Allah swt only required to believe in six matters, i.e. Allah, and the last day, and the angels, and the book, and the prophets, and the divine decree (of good and bad). Whosoever believs in these with full conviction is a believer because that is the standard set in the Quran.

My point: that should be our banner of unification. Let us not divide and fight for what we practice, lets agree on what we commonly believe. Enemy of Shia is not a friend of sunni and likewise, enemy of sunni is not a friend of shia even though it may pose like that. Our differences on issues of fiqh are benefitting none but who desires destruction for both. We can only achieve this unity with tolerance and respect for each others practices. We will never unite if we keep rejecting one of the two out of the fold of Islam.

Allah swt says :they fight you only because you say Allah is one."
Posted 26 Feb 2007

nikama says
i completely agree with s.d on this issue,although i personally dont understand the phlosophy of aza-dari,but i respect those who practice it.but as s.d said its not a part of aqeeda,its a tradition and i have quite a few shia friends who attend majalis but dont take part in aza dari.
its such a tragedy that we have even tampered with the history of islam,and every sect has its own version of islamic history and those who have not heard the other side of the story,make statements that hurt others feelings.
as s.d has put it,lets not fight over what we practice,lets agree on what we commonly believe.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
Posted 01 Mar 2007

Reply to Topic