Johny Depp is not Anti-American!

3563 views 65 replies
Reply to Topic
Rain Man

Total Posts: 24391

Depp Clarifies Comments
Sep 5, 9:39 AM EST

Associated Press

Johnny Depp said he intended no "anti-American sentiment" in comparing the nation to a dumb puppy and blamed news reports for misrepresenting his opinions.

Depp, star of the summer hit movie "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," apologized in a statement to those "who were offended, affected or hurt by this insanely twisted deformation of my words and intent." Stern, the German magazine that interviewed the actor, stood by its story.

Depp was quoted as saying that "America is dumb, is something like a dumb puppy that has big teeth — that can bite and hurt you, aggressive."

In a statement Thursday, the 40-year-old actor complained that "the inaccurate and out of context misquote" was "virulently spreading in the news."

"Taken in context, what I was saying was that, compared to Europe, America is a very young country and we are still growing as a nation. It is a shame that the metaphor I used was taken so radically out of context and slung about irresponsibly by the news media," Depp said.

"There was no anti-American sentiment. In fact, it was just the opposite," he said. "I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it. It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and for this I am eternally grateful."

Stern magazine news editor Hans-Peter Junker said Friday that Depp's quotes were "not taken out of context."

"Stern regrets that Johnny Depp is being criticized for his outspoken remarks in his homeland," Junker said. "Stern stands by its account."

Depp spends much of his time in the south of France with his companion, Vanessa Paradis, and their two children. According to the Stern article, Depp said he couldn't see himself paying more than short visits to his Los Angeles residence in the present political climate.
Posted 07 Sep 2003

is that so....

He is marrying French actress, right??...bye bye Winona...lol
Posted 07 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
lol that's the way it goes...
Posted 07 Sep 2003

too bad.... winona and johny....

I really like when they played together is "Edward scissor hand"
Posted 07 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
so he was making movies in France as well?
Posted 07 Sep 2003

I dont know about making film in french.....

He also played in "chocolate", right?
Posted 07 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
yup...

but i read it somewhere, that Johny Depp went to the france film industry for some time...then he came back with Pirates of the...
Posted 07 Sep 2003

really... French films not bad.

I wathced "TAXY"... and its kind a funny.
Posted 07 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
the problem is i can't understand french, other wise i would've been watching those films too...
its good to know alot of languages, so u can enjoy all kinds of entertainment...
Posted 07 Sep 2003

lol..yeah..I wish I speak french too....
but subtittle can help... I read the translation on my language :P

You know....in my country all Bollywood stars speak Indonesian..lol...

today a movie tittle : Mere Yaar ki Shaadi hai was in our local TV. I saw it and I think it copying : My best friend wedding (Julia Robert)...but the ending was different.
Posted 07 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
so your language is indonesian, i thought it was urdu or hindi...but its all good...

yup Mere Yaar Ki Shadi Hai was Inspired by My Best Freind's Wedding...it was a funny movie...
Posted 07 Sep 2003

pagaldil says
no he's not anti-american. he just doesn't like american. LOL
Posted 07 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
hmm...strange
Posted 07 Sep 2003

don't like American?? funny....he is American.....

Posted 07 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
yup...that's why i'm like that's strange...
Posted 07 Sep 2003

well.....I dont like some of my own people too....
it doesn't mean I hate all of them.
Posted 07 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
u can hate the ppl, but u can't hate your own country, since that's your homeland...that's the way i think of it...
Posted 07 Sep 2003

I know...whatever happened in my country I'm proud of my country.
Bali Bombed, JW marriot Bombed,.....I also dream to be a diplomat, working representing my country...
Posted 07 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
good luck with representin your country...that's a good thing...

i represent Chi Town for now, since i aint in Pak...
Posted 07 Sep 2003

yup..I'm representing my country now...

eeemmm....what do you think if I open embassy here ?? lol.....
U representing China Town....let me guess..you are in San Fransisco
Posted 08 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
no not china town lol, chicago 4 life...this place never lets me get bored, its so much fun
Posted 08 Sep 2003

I thought China town......lol..

Chicago.... the mafia was there....Al Capone, right ??

Posted 08 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
yup first the mafia, now the gangstas....alot of cops on the streets of chicago...
Posted 08 Sep 2003

oh..nice.....lol....gangster paradise.....
Posted 08 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
yups
Posted 08 Sep 2003

I like kevin costner's movie.... The untouchable... about mafia
Posted 08 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
u've seen more hollywood movies then me, n i use to think i was the biggest hollywood fan
Posted 08 Sep 2003

lol...I like movies....
thats all....I don't think I'm a hollywood big fan, I just like movies.
And I think you know a lot too....that's why you become the asst.mod here :)
Posted 08 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
yup asst mod over, and just cuz my rules are strict, u won't see no personal arguements over here...see i'm just too good

and movies, i love movies...i watch more hollywood movies then indian or paki movies, imma fan of hollywood and pak tv dramas...i dont watch that much bollywood, only few good movies...
Posted 08 Sep 2003

sure...lol....

I don't like watch TV drama....I don't like soap opera...
Posted 12 Sep 2003

Rain Man says
yup, some hate it some love it...that's how it is...
Posted 12 Sep 2003

Reply to Topic