Madrassas

3071 views 36 replies
Reply to Topic
sharmili

Total Posts: 265

There is a lot of commotion about the students at Jamai-Hifsa in Islamabad. The actions and the sermons by the governing body of the madrassa and its students. We have all made our comments on their actions. What I need to understand is the following:

1. How many people have actually been to a madrissa? I mean went there to study?

2. What is taught over there? Is there a standard curriculam that is followed or its solely left on the discretion of the teacher?

3. Is there an official degree that is given? What is the value of the degree in real life?

4. How many students graduate from these madrissas every year?

5. Where do they go? What do they do afterwards?
Posted 25 Apr 2007

Xtreme says
umm too many tuff questions u ask , even tuffer than my bio teacher. last night i heard that 4.3 % of all school going kids study in madrassas , well for the exac figure i will check the Ministry of education site lol.
13500 madrassas in pakistan so quite a few.
they can only teach in madrassas/schools islamic teacher( MA Islamiat are preffered over them) or become an Imam of Masjid i guess thats the future. not much i guess.

Wafaq ul madaris Degree which aint good for much then the above mentioned.

Yea standard curriculam that is followed not left to teachers and you bet disipline (my english is dead!!) is very much followed by both teachers/students.

havent study in a madrassa but have been to quite a few on a number of times.
Posted 06 May 2007

sharmili says
thanks extreme. It is interesting to know that there is a curriculam that is followed. I was not aware of that. Who manages that curriculam? Is there a separate religious organization that maintains a curriculam? Who pays the teachers?
Posted 10 May 2007

nikama says
xtreme gave some extremely useful info
madrissas are established and run on sectarian lines,wifaq-ul-madaris manages the affairs of deo-bundi madrissas,while burelvi sunnis have their own governing body,similarly shia madrissas have their own system and their curriculum comes directly from iran.and that explains why we love so much to blast each other's mosques.
as for degree,yes there are not one but many degrees at different levels munshi fazil being the most common like our o-level.and these degrees are to some extent officialy recognised also,thanks to late gen.zia,but value of these degrees in practical life is zero almost,as xtreme said at most you can become an imaam-masjid and thats all.
and i dont know the number of graduates that these madrissas churn out every year,but there are roughly one million childern reading in madrissas and its 10 percent comes to one hundred thousand.many of them join mosques or start up their own madrissa.
Posted 12 May 2007

Ashii says
well i didnt answer to this topic before coz honestly i dont know much abt these madrissas
my knowledge is limited to vv few documentries made by europeans (means vv limited) and personaly i prefer to view the both sides of miror

after reading patak and nikama's posts im having a little doubt
wot is exactly a madrissa ??
when i lived in isb (till 90) we had 2 madrissas in our muhalla,, most of kids went to study Quran pak in one of them (we only "read" Quran pak,, no explanation nothing,, just arabic verses repeated during 1hr)
2nd one was a bit different,, it was a sort of hmmm hostel with 25/30 guys living there (most of them were pathans <20yrs i guess) and ppl used to invite them for Quran reciting on funerals etc
now i really wonder wot was that,,, is this a madrissa we r talking abt
Posted 13 May 2007

nikama says
ashi
the kind of madrissas u mentioned are also present mostly run by some local mosque's imaam sahib etc.where childern are taught holy quran only,but these are not really the kind we are talking about.no one including u.s and the u.k,has any sort of problem with them.basically madrissa is a boarding school where day scolars are also accepted but majority of students are those who stay here for many years,they are taught not only quran and hadees,but also the jurisprudence of their respective sects,and thats where the problem starts.besides since the founder of the madrissa,has absolute authority over the students and the faculty,often childern are not only abused mentally but physically also.and these madrissa get huge amount of money from different sources,like the k.s.a and kuwait provide funds to deo-bundi madrissas,while iran not only funds the shia madrissas but also provide them with syllabus and teachers.and since the interests of these countries often clash with eachother,the result is the proxy war of saudia and iran being faught on pakistani soil since zia era. i have a lot more to share on this issue but enough for the day
Posted 14 May 2007

sharmili says
Thanks nikama. You seem to know a lot more than me on this.

I personally think the idea behind madrassa is very gentle. Its the reputation that has costed them a lot more than their deeds. I believe overall system is designed to help poor kids get some kind of education (be it religious or not). In addition to that education, they are provided with food and boarding. Somewhere along the lines (I think in 80s) some of these madrassas started getting sponsorship from foreign ocountries who started spreading their own agenda through these institutes.

I just wish kids are taught tolerance in these madrassas along with whatever is taught over there. Its just so sad what these kinds end up doing.
Posted 14 May 2007

Ashii says
ahhhhhhhhh okkkie

and wot abt the parents/families of these kids
arent they aware of wots going on in these institutes
Posted 21 May 2007

Xtreme says
Madrassas = way of making easy money !
Posted 22 May 2007

nikama says
as sharmili said the idea behind a madrissa is very noble but ppl are now misusing the madrissas.as for parents ,most of them are extremely poor ppl who cannot teach their childern on their own so the they have to choose between a madrissa and a workshop,and since maddrissa offers religious as well as contemporary studies they go for it.
Posted 22 May 2007

sharmili says
Ashii said:

ahhhhhhhhh okkkie

and wot abt the parents/families of these kids
arent they aware of wots going on in these institutes

Well, the parents are busy trying to make the living. Also, these madrassas are respected very well in the community. People tend to see the Instructors (Imams) as pious people who are blessed. It is the common believe that kids are taught by people who know about Islam. Its far better than these kids growing up on the street and joining gangs etc.

As I have said before that the idea is noble. There are just a few that have given bad name to entire system. We cannot take the actions of few and blame every single one of them. For a large number of people these madrassas do provide what they are setup for.
Posted 23 May 2007

Xtreme says
Nah most madrassas are scam to make money,yeh they do the purpose of making half baked imams who are virtually good for nothing( a few madrassas can be good still not so sure), they main problem is well surely poverty and as long as thats here we cant get rid of these madrassas.
Posted 23 May 2007

sharmili says
Lets look at it this way. If there are no madrassas, where else these kids are going to go? Most probably they will end up in some gang etc. At least this way they are learning something. Just because there are a few that cause problem, does not mean that all of them are a mess
Posted 24 May 2007

Xtreme says
yea sure poverty , but not a few quite a few make mess of everything.
Posted 24 May 2007

nikama says
we only take notice of those who threten us with home made bombs,but there are so many who are poisoning ppl's minds with their sectarian doctrines,who are gathering money in the name of ALLAH,and buying prados and pajeros.
mullahs are generaly a mess
Posted 05 Jun 2007

sun_shine says
Sab aik jaisay nahi hotay.kuch log Islam ko apnay faiday k liye use kartay hain per sab aik say nahi hotay.Media main hamesha madrassa ko terrorism k saath milatay hain per i think k agar saaray Madrassay main parhnay waalay terrorist hain to Mr Bush konsay madrassay say hain jo k World Biggest Terrorist hain.
Posted 05 Jun 2007

nikama says
han sab waqi aik jaise nahin hote
main kabhi kabhi over generalise ker jata hoon
sorry for that
Posted 05 Jun 2007

sun_shine says
Thats Fine
Posted 06 Jun 2007

sharmili says
sun_shine said:

Sab aik jaisay nahi hotay.kuch log Islam ko apnay faiday k liye use kartay hain per sab aik say nahi hotay.Media main hamesha madrassa ko terrorism k saath milatay hain per i think k agar saaray Madrassay main parhnay waalay terrorist hain to Mr Bush konsay madrassay say hain jo k World Biggest Terrorist hain.

No one said anything about Madrassas being the "training school" of terrorists. If that were true, we would not find people in other countries committing or trying to commit terroristic acts.

Religion in general has been used for one's advantage. Babar used religion to marry a Hindu girl. He got his actioned stamped by so called "Mullahs" of that era. A Hindu Raja (can't recall the name yet) married his own sister. Again this was Oked by the "Pandits".

My point is that one cannot blame religion for the shortcomings in life.
Posted 07 Jun 2007

sun_shine says
sharmili said:

sun_shine said:

No one said anything about Madrassas being the "training school" of terrorists. If that were true, we would not find people in other countries committing or trying to commit terroristic acts.

Religion in general has been used for one's advantage. Babar used religion to marry a Hindu girl. He got his actioned stamped by so called "Mullahs" of that era. A Hindu Raja (can't recall the name yet) married his own sister. Again this was Oked by the "Pandits".

My point is that one cannot blame religion for the shortcomings in life.

Sab say pehlay Mr.Bush nay kaha k" these Madrassas produce people who cause terror" tabhi to Pakistan main Madrassas pe Question Mark lag gaya.
aur i think Pehlay Hum log hi thay jo is shak main thay k kya yeh such hain ya nahi?
yaa Kuch Logo nay Religion ko apnay matlab k liye use kiya per sab aik jaisay nahi hain.

Posted 08 Jun 2007

Xtreme says
Yar i know a uy who had opened a Madrassa and he dont kow any ting about Islam ( Knows more than me ofciurse) and now he is minting money, also a Molvi sahib i knew opened one madrassa too wich is going great now and now he is called Hafiz Mufti blah blah Jaam-i-Jamshed.
Posted 08 Jun 2007

sun_shine says
Yaa that kind of People will be held accountable on the Judgement Day
Posted 09 Jun 2007

Xtreme says
Oh well cant we hold them accountable now!
Posted 10 Jun 2007

sun_shine says
we Are also accountable.it all happens in the society because of us.Why dont we raise voice against these people coz we have no support from other people.
Posted 10 Jun 2007

sharmili says
There are people who raise their voice against these issues. Unfortunately when it comes to religion, lack of religious knowledge, and trust on local imam can create havoc.

For crying out loud, we are talking about a society who burns a Hafiz-e-Quran to death because he dropped a piece of paper with Quranic Ayat in fire. That is the level of education we have about our own religion.
Posted 12 Jun 2007

sun_shine says
yess yeh point to hain
Posted 12 Jun 2007

nikama says
in a way we all are raising our voice against this.so have hope....kabhi na kbhi to change aa hi jay ga.
Posted 12 Jun 2007

sun_shine says
inshAllah
Posted 13 Jun 2007

Xtreme says
Local Imam ah someone love them .
Posted 17 Jun 2007

jessica alba ,anjelina jolie and i would have the pleasure and would love to kill bush that
Posted 22 Jun 2007

dr zakir nayak if you have heard about him president of {irf}islamic research foundation.india
us ne dara bagar bush ko satan ka cheala kaha
states mein 911 bhi us ki government ne hi karwaya   agar maloom ho to
yaar tum logon ko muslims ka bara mein parhna hai
to kabhi american funny clips par chala jao aisa aisa galiyan likhe hoti hain rongta khara ho jaiyan http\\you tube .com

Posted 22 Jun 2007

Reply to Topic