play in steering

739 views 4 replies
Reply to Topic
piros365

Total Posts: 0

I recently replaced all front control arms in my M5 and because the tie rods were seized to the centre link I also replaced the centre link and tie rods.VXDIAG VCX NANO
I didn't change the idler arm bearing because there was nothing wrong with the old one but when I had the centre link out I noticed that I could move the pitman arm a little so I suspect that there is some play in the steering box.
Since putting everything back together and getting the alignment done I noticed that the car wanders a bit over uneven surfaces and when stationary I can turn the outer edge of the steering wheel by ~1-2 inches without seeing any movement in the front wheels. If I turn the wheel hard to the left and right it also feel notchy at the point where the front wheels start moving in each direction but worse when turning to the left.
Since all of the control arms/steering linkages are new (all rear control arms/balljoints are also new) I think the problem is in the steering box or column.Vagcom 15.7
My question is: could this behavior be caused by anything upstream of the steering box?
I understand there are a number of linkages that can wear out in the steering column but I assume that I wouldn't be able to make the steering column turn by moving the pitman arm by hand so I kind of doubt it - but I'm not an expert.
Posted 14 Jul 2016

Reply to Topic