LONDON -- Roger Federer fought back Saturday to reach the semifinals

968 views 2 replies
Reply to Topic
zgr123

Total Posts: 0

LONDON -- Roger Federer fought back Saturday to reach the semifinals in the ATP World Tour Finals. Roberto Firmino Liverpool Jersey . On the back of a poor season, the 17-time Grand Slam winner overcame a 3-0 deficit in the third set to beat Juan Martin del Potro 4-6, 7-6 (2), 7-5 to reach the semifinals for the 11th time. The Swiss earned a chance to prove that -- despite his aging legs, aching back and recent lack of consistency -- he can still beat rival Rafael Nadal, his semifinal opponent. "I just have to have the right mindset to give it one last go, maybe play with a little less pressure than I have in previous matches with him," Federer said. "I just feel like I need to look at it more as being an underdog a little bit because of circumstances, because of my year, because of his year. Maybe that free swinging is what I kind of need to do a little bit more tomorrow." The 32-year-old Federer has endured a tough year and the elite event is his last chance to win a big title in 2013. Federer has just four victories against top-10 opponents in 2013 and has not beaten Nadal since 2012. The top-ranked Spaniard leads 21-10 in their head-to-head series, but Federer is 4-0 on indoor hard courts, having secured all four wins at the ATP Finals. Nadal, who returned to tennis in February following a seven-month layoff due to a knee injury, clinched the year-end No. 1 spot this week in a season in which he won the French Open and the U.S. Open. In London, the Spaniard qualified from his group unbeaten. "We know each other that well. Hes going to do exactly what he needs to do, Im going to try to do what I need to do," Federer said. "Hopefully its going to match up good for me. If not, he deserves it. Hes had a wonderful season." Novak Djokovic, who beat Richard Gasquet 7-6 (6), 4-6, 6-3 in his final round-robin match to extend his winning streak to 20 matches since his loss to Nadal in the U.S. Open final in September, will face Stanislas Wawrinka in the other semifinal. Federer won only the grass-court event at Halle, Germany, in June. He regularly lost to unseeded opponents and secured his qualification for the Finals at the last minute. "The goal is always to win every tournament. But I think I had to be slightly more realistic in recent weeks and months," Federer said. "I knew that sometimes just getting a few rounds into the bag was positive." Both Federer and del Potro needed a win to progress from Group B and treated the crowd to a tense and entertaining back-and-forth match. Federer trailed in all three sets. Only once in 12 appearances has Federer failed to advance to the last four at the season-ending tournament for the top eight players. He struggled to return del Potros big serve in the first set and committed seven forehand mistakes as his rival opened up a 5-1 lead. Capitalizing on more Federer errors, del Potro broke again in the third game of the second set. The Argentine looked set for an easy win but failed to build on the momentum, double-faulting as Federer levelled at 3-3. Federer then gradually took the upper hand with a brilliant display at the net and played a nearly prefect tiebreaker as del Potro crumbled. Federer clinched the set with an ace. But Federer again started sluggishly in the decider, allowing del Potro to break as he hit two consecutive weak forehands. But the blip was temporary and, once again, his rival could not take advantage of his inconsistency. At 3-1, del Potro saved a break point but fluffed a forehand on the second one, bringing Federer back into the match. Hitting more confidently toward the end, Federer broke to go up 6-5 and saved a break point in the next game before closing out the match with his 10th ace. "I think I got two chances to win the match," del Potro said. "But in the end you have to be focused and to find the winners. I made the mistakes, and he was there really focused to take the chance." The mark of the champions. Joao Carlos Teixeira Liverpool Jersey . Hes the same player he always was, only now his efforts are being rewarded. The rookie manager has made a habit of heaping praise on others when things are going well, and accepting criticism when they arent.  But in the case of Hurtado, its what the coach is NOT saying that may be the secret to a superb run of form.Steven Caulker Jersey .ca provides the latest rumours, reports and speculation from around the NHL beat. BRASILIA, Brazil -- Starved of the World Cup action for 16 years, Colombia -- and its fanatical travelling supporters -- are certainly making the most of being back on footballs biggest stage. Driven on by a partisan pro-Colombian crowd that turned the Estadio Nacional into a sea of yellow, the South Americans scored through James Rodriguez and substitute Juan Quintero in a devastating six-minute spell in the second half to beat Ivory Coast 2-1 on Thursday. A second victory in Group C, following a 3-0 win over Greece, leaves Colombia on the verge of qualifying for a place in the last 16. Since 1998, every team that has earned six points in the group stage has advanced. "We have had two wins with players who are playing their first World Cup," Colombia coach Jose Pekerman said. "Were happy to have defeated such a good opponent. We have a lot of young players, and this is going to help them grow." Known for his midfield artistry, playmaker Rodriguez showed his prowess in the air by getting clear of Ivory Coast captain Didier Drogba -- again only used as a substitute -- at a corner to head in Colombias opener in the 64th minute, lighting up a disappointing match. The celebrations had hardly died down among the vast hordes of Colombia supporters by the time a defensive mistake by Ivory Coast midfielder Serey Die allowed Teofilo Gutierrez to play in Quintero, and the midfielder slotted home a low finish. Ivory Coast replied with a brilliant 73rd-minute solo goal by Gervinho, his second of the World Cup, but couldnt find a second despite a strong finish. The Ivorians remain on three points after their 2-1 opening win over Japan. Instead of Radamel Falcao, the countrys star striker who was ruled out through injury before the tournament, the most important factor in Colombias march through the group stage has arguably been its amazing support. With supporters wearing yellow shirts dominating the stadium, it was effectively an away gamme for the Ivorians. Tiago Ilori Jersey. "It was extraordinary," Rodriguez said, "it was very much in our favour that Colombia could win." The crowd roared with relief at the final whistle, with Drogbas introduction in the 60th minute helping pep up Ivory Coasts attack that had previously looked rudderless with Wilfried Bony as the lone striker. "I must say that we didnt deserve to lose," Ivory Coast coach Sabri Lamouchi said. "It was very experienced Colombia team who waited for us to make mistakes." The Ivorians may still need to beat Greece in their last group game to reach the knockout stage for the first time at a World Cup. Drogba may now start that match but Lamouchi will also be looking for more from the squads top player, Yaya Toure, who seems like a shadow of the player who starred for Manchester City in the English Premier League last season. There was no mistaking the passion of the Ivory Coast lineup -- Die was in tears during the national anthem -- but the teams undoubted attacking quality has been lacking so far at this World Cup and Colombia looked more threatening going forward. The best chance of a cagey first half was spurned by Gutierrez, who miscued a volley with the goal at his mercy after being perfectly set up by Rodriguezs left-wing cross in the 28th. Otherwise, the highlight of the first 45 minutes came when a large inflatable ball bounced onto the playing surface, causing a brief stoppage. Tricky winger Juan Cuadrado struck the bar with a fierce, angled shot before teammate Rodriguez, named man of the match, broke the deadlock with the kind of header that Drogba -- the player supposed to be marking the Monaco playmaker -- has been used to delivering. Quinteros side-footed finish gave Colombia breathing space, meaning that Gervinhos goal -- he jinked through two defenders, beat another and shot inside goalkeeper David Ospinas near post -- proved to be just a consolation. Cheap NFL JerseysCheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys ' ' '
Posted 11 Oct 2016

Reply to Topic