It might be Von Miller's time to be Broncos' captain

733 views 2 replies
Reply to Topic
Angel92

Total Posts: 0

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When Von Miller stands in front of his locker at the Denver Broncoscomplex these days, he doesnt have to look far to see whats missing this season.
Or rather whos missing, because to say thereMalcolm Smith Youth Jersey  is an opening in the leadership department would be a sizable understatement. Just look at the last two offseasons.
After the 2015 season, Peyton Manning retired, removing one of the strongest leaders to have ever graced an NFL roster. And after the 2016 season, DeMarcus Ware retired, and Ware isnt that far down the list of top leaders either.
So whether by necessity, timing or the way the football dominoes have fallen, it could be Millers time.
Were missing one of the greatest leaders in the National Football League, to ever come through the National Football League in DeMarcus Ware, so theres a little void there,’’ Miller said Tuesday after the teams first offseason workout. But I feel like well be able to fill it.’’
Miller is the Broncosmarquee player. Hes the Indianapolis-Colts Womens Jersey  guy with the $114.5 million contract that made him the highest-paid defensive player in the game.
Miller has been named to five Pro Bowls and three first-team All-Pro Teams, and he has won a Super Bowl MVP award. But he has never been elected as a team captain.
Circumstances may demand that he add that to his resume in 2017. In terms of resumes, with Mannings and Wares out of the mix, Millers stands out.
Miller is one of the Broncos' strongest voices, a free spirit whose wit and biting tongue find plenty of targets in the locker room every day. But he has not yet been in a role where he helped set the tone of the team.
Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins were on the Broncos' roster when Miller was a rookie, Manning arrived in Millers second season, and Ware arrived in his fourth season. And when Ware arrived, Miller simply was trying to resurrect his career as he battled his way back from a six-game suspension for violating the leagues substance abuse policy and a torn ACL.
Time has marched on, and Miller, about to enter his seventh season, finds himself in a different situation.
I feel like Ive always been a leader,’’ Miller said. Ive always had great examples of great leadership going all the way back to Tim Tebow and Brian Dawkins and Champ Bailey. Ive always had great examples of great leadership, so I know http://www.officialvikingshop.com/shop-by-players-captain-munnerlyn-jersey-c-2_46.html what it takes and I feel like Ive always done that.’’
Asked if it was important to him to be acknowledged as a team captain, Miller said, Its important for me to win games and win the Super Bowl. Youve got to go out there and earn the respect from the guys in the locker room. I feel like my whole career, Ive always been kind of like the peoples champ of the locker room. Its not really going to change. Im always going to be the peoples champ, but we have a void on our football team with DeMarcus Ware missing. Thats definitely one of my goals, but the No. 1 goal is to win games. Thats why Im here.’’
However it all shakes out over the next few months, Miller acknowledged, as he did after Mannings departure, that replacing Wares presence in the locker room cant be done simply by being named a captain. It will take a more concerted effort from Miller and others to set the tone.
Thats tough, thats just like when Peyton left,’’ Miller said. You cant really just fill that void. Youve got to just modify the http://www.officialvikingssale.com/shop-by-players-jarius-wright-jersey-c-2_47.html team and move on. Other leaders will step up, other players will step up but [you] cant really just fill a void like that.''
Posted 13 Apr 2017

Reply to Topic