Christian Hackenberg is ‘different’ and ready for Jets QB battle

116 views 0 replies
Reply to Topic
pinkpink

Total Posts: 0

Christian Hackenberg says he is not the same quarterback he was a year ago. Now, he hopes to prove it.
The second-year Jets quarterback said Monday he is entering 2017 more confident.
“Without a doubt, I think there’s a different level of confidence,” Hackenberg said at David Harris’ charity golf tournament in North Caldwell, N.J., “but I think that also goes back to Year 2 – more comfortable Dexter Fowler Jersey the situation, more comfortable walking in the building, more comfortable with the guys in the locker room, in the huddle. I think just that natural growth from, I wouldn’t even say confidence, but just the comfort standpoint of walking in there and doing things.”
Hackenberg said he found out when the public did in March that the Jets would have an open competition between Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Hackenberg for the starting quarterback job this year. Hackenberg did not play a down as a rookie, which was the clear plan from the organization after they drafted him in the second round last year. Now, he has a shot http://www.officialbaseballcardinalsstore.com/Dexter_Fowler_Jersey being the starter, but he would not say what he thinks his chances are of winning the job.
“At the end of the day, that’s not my call,” Hackenberg said. “I don’t have control over that. Something that’s always been stuck in my head going all the way back to high school is ‘control what I can control.’ Whatever I have control over, that’s what I’m going to try to do to the best of my ability.”
Hackenberg was asked if being the Week 1 starter is his goal. He chose his words carefully.
“I have a ton of goals, and being able to play obviously and help this team is one of them. I think the bigger picture is controlling what I have control over, and that’s ultimately the focus for me,” he said.
Hackenberg said he spent the offseason working in California with his personal quarterback coach, Jordan Palmer, and at home in Virginia with some different people. The Jets have not done much on the field yet. They begin organized Carl Soderberg Authentic Jersey team activities next week. He hopes the coaches see his improvement.
“I think I got better in a lot of ways, even going back from the day I stepped foot in the building until the end of last season,” Hackenberg said. “I’m just continuing to try to do that at every step of the way and continuing to try to grow because you’ve never met your full potential, you’ve never been there. You look at guys like [Tom] Brady, the best in the league at our position, and they’re always trying to get better. If they’re still trying to get better, then there’s no reason for me not to. I’m just trying to grow in a lot of areas.”
Hackenberg and Petty were paired up in the golf outing for a tournament that benefits the Give Kids Hope Foundation. It is the seventh annual year Harris has held the tournament.
Petty is coming off of surgery to repair his left (non-throwing) shoulder after suffering an injury in Week 16 against the Patriots last year. He said he is now 100 percent and expects to be a full go in OTAs. He said having a shot at the starting job won’t alter his approach.
“In my preparation since I’ve been here, it’s been the same for http://www.officialavalancheauthentic.com/Calvin_Pickard_Jersey how I’m approaching it,” Petty said. “Maybe for [the media] it’s a little different way to write it. My approach is always the same and will continue to be the same, that is to prepare like I’m the starter no matter what happens. It’s open, that’s great. If it’s closed, that’s great. I’m going to be the same guy.”
Posted 16 May 2017

Reply to Topic