Knicks eyeing point guard of the future with the No. 8 pick

145 views 0 replies
Reply to Topic
pinkpink

Total Posts: 0

French point guard Frank Ntilikina met with team president Phil Jackson, general manager Steve Mills and coach Jeff Hornacek at a restaurant next to the Garden on Wednesday morning.
Later, Ntilikina, an 18-year-old point guard fresh off a plane from Paris and the French http://www.officialcoloradoavalanche.com/Adidas-Adam-Foote-Jersey league finals, attended a pre-draft press conference in Midtown, where he said to finally be part of the draft process is “a dream come true.’’
The NBA draft is finally here, and the Knicks’ dream would be netting their point guard of the future Thursday night.
Other potential Knicks picks Dennis Smith Jr., N.C. State’s freshman point-guard stud, and Malik Monk, Kentucky’s freshman combo guard, also talked up the Knicks during the press conference, though combo guard Donovan Mitchell, a Westchester Bilal Powell Womens Jersey product, did not attend.
Mitchell, whose defense has the Knicks intrigued, had his workout with the Knicks pushed from Tuesday to Wednesday.
League sources believe it comes down to Ntilikina and Monk, if the latter drops. There’s a clear division within the organization. Monk, a 6-foot-3 sharpshooter, played only shooting guard in college, but perhaps can become a lead guard in the Knicks’ triangle offense.
Meanwhile, Kristaps Porzingis was back in Latvia, bewildered by a sudden spate of trade rumors. A league source told The Post that the Knicks want a top-4 pick and a significant asset for Porzingis — lofty demands expected to go unfulfilled, despite a flood of phone http://www.officialpittsburghpenguins.com calls from teams.
“They’re not moving him,’’ the league source said.
The Vertical reported Wednesday if the Knicks move into the top four they’d target two-way small forward Josh Jackson of Kansas. The Post reported on March 27 the Knicks may not take a point guard if they move up in the lottery because of their heavy interest in Jackson as Carmelo Anthony’s replacement. The Jayhawks’ freshman told The Post on Wednesday he hadn’t worked out with the Knicks. The Knicks likely would then take Arizona 7-foot center Lauri Markkenen, if he’s available, with their eighth pick as Porzingis’ replacement.
Phoenix, at No. 4, and Boston, No. 3, engaged the Knicks, who reportedly asked for the fourth pick and either shooting guard Devin Booker or small forward Marquese Chriss.
The Knicks don’t have a point guard under contract for next season  other than little-used rookie Chasson Randle. Derrick Rose is a free agent; Ron Baker a restricted free agent.
“It’s crazy,’’ Monk said of New York. “It’s a lot different from Arkansas. I like playing anywhere, but it would be nice here, too. Every night, high emotions, walking into a packed house and legendary building.’’
Ntilikina is 18 and may take longer to adjust. His 6-5 size, 7-foot wingspan, defensive prowess and pass-first game gives him a higher upside. Mills and top advisor Clarence Gaines scouted him closely in France, but it wasn’t until Wednesday that Jackson Alexander Mogilny Youth Jersey finally got to interview him. Ntilikina flew to Newark on Tuesday, though his Strasbourg team is still playing in the French league finals.
“They just wanted to know how I am as a man and how my season went,” Ntilikina said. “It was great meeting him. We talked about a lot of things about the game and who I am.’’
As a triangle fit, Ntilikina blends better than Smith, reputed more for flashy dunks and 1-on-1 play. Jackson has said he’s looking more for team players/defenders than super athletes, and Gaines, according to a source, is a fan of Ntilikina, even if some of the scouts prefer Monk and Smith. Gaines was largely behind the Porzingis pick two years ago.
“The system is a good system for me,’’ Ntilikina said. “I think I could play in it. The organization is very good. I think the game I play with my teammates back in France is very similar to this game. It would be great to be here with its big history.
“First, [I’m a] good defensive player. And on offense, I’m a team player, I want to give a lot to the team, make my teammates better. I think I can score, I can pass it, play pick-and-roll, shoot it.”
The Mavericks want Ntilikina and have talked to the Timberwolves about moving to No. 7 to get him. Knicks president Phil Jackson said on MSG Network Wednesday night “volatility’’ in the draft could make his team “change’’ course.
Ntilikina will return to France for Friday’s decisive Game 5, chartering a flight at 2 a.m. after the draft.
“It’s been different, but not difficult,’’ Ntilikina http://www.indianapoliscoltsauthorizedstore.com/andrew-luck-jersey said. “I’m playing for championships — that’s what we play for. That’s the city [Strasbourg] where I grew up.’’
Smith’s college coach, Mark Gottfried, said Smith has Russell Westbrook “athleticism,” and Smith, who said he is aiming to “win more games and win Rookie of the Year,’’ didn’t shy away from the lofty comparison. “I think it’s a fair assessment,’’ Smith said.
However, Smith’s stock dropped because of North Carolina State’s struggles as the Wolfpack finished 15-17.
As for fitting into the triangle, Smith said, “It would be fine with me. Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan, they played in that system, they thrived in it. That’s two of the greatest players we’ve ever seen. I believe I can do the same thing.”
“In the first 12 or 14 picks, you are going to get a good player and a starter,’’ Jackson said. “… Maybe not to begin. An 18-, 19-year-old body isn’t ready for it. The intensity, duration, physicality, but we hope to get a productive player.”
Posted 22 Jun 2017

Reply to Topic