When opportunity knocks, Farley eagerly answers

1111 views 3 replies
Reply to Topic
Angel92

Total Posts: 0

INDIANAPOLIS Matthias Farley watched the play unfold in front of him.
Quarterback Scott Tolzien's throw came in hot, but it was a step or two behind wide receiver Kamar Aiken on a slant route. Aiken http://www.officialnflfalconsshop.com/cheap-youth-atlanta-falcons-tyler-polumbus-pro-line-team-color-jersey-105950-p-746.html adjusted and reached back for the ball, but it glanced off his hands and headed for the ground.
Farley pounced from his safety position, diving to haul in the interception and celebrating briefly with his teammates.
Players rarely are in the right place at the right time by coincidence.
This is the kind of play that can be made when a player trusts his assignment and what his eyes are telling him
And Farley is just the kind of practice player the Indianapolis Colts are looking for in this bold new era of constant competition.
Signed last Sept. 4 just a week before the regular-season opener the Notre Dame product appeared in all 16 games last season as a core special-teamer. This week during veteran mini-camp at the Indiana Farm Bureau Football Center, he took the majority of the first-team reps at strong safety alongside free safety Darius Butler.
It's June, however, and there is no http://www.officialpanthersstore.com/shop-by-players-thomas-davis-sr-jersey-c-9_89.html official depth chart. First-round rookie Malik Hooker has yet to take the field, and third-year pro Clayton Geathers still is recovering from neck surgery.
But it's clear Farley has earned the trust of the coaching staff with his blue-collar approach to the game.
"I don't think any of us that are in the building daily with Matthias are surprised," defensive coordinator Ted Monachino said. "He's very, very sharp. He's athletic enough. He's a run-and-hit guy in the run game. He can get guys aligned. The good news is, when he's in there with Darius, he doesn't have to do all of those things. So he's able to just kind of let it go and play."
Farley came into the league as an undrafted free agent with the Arizona Cardinals last year. He impressed the team throughout the preseason but was the victim of the numbers game in final cuts.
So this is his first spring in Indianapolis, and he's making the most of it.
The first-team mini-camp reps seemed to be a reward for a strong showing in OTAs. But he took them as just another opportunity to improve.
"It's awesome," Farley said. "Any time you get to aganst the first-team (offense), you get to go against guys like (tight end) Jack Doyle and guys that are going to sharpen your craft. There's a lot of competition in the safety room, Geneo Grissom Kids Jersey which I think is awesome. Everybody's pushing everybody. So I think it's a very healthy environment."
Farley's not one to pass up an opportunity.
When the Colts ran out of cornerbacks during the fourth quarter of a Week 2 loss at Denver, he raised his hand and volunteered to finish the game as the nickel back recording his first career tackle in the secondary.
Farley is just as eager on special teams, where he led Indianapolis last season with 12 stops.
In fact, the game's third phase remains a major focus this spring.
He participated in every special teams drill even while taking reps as a defensive starter.
"It's still how I earn my keep. It's early," Farley said. "I don't take any of those plays off, any of those reps off, no matter how many reps I get in, because I know that's where my real value's at."
Farley's happy with his spring in general.
There are, of course, some plays he'd like to have back, and there's a list of things he wants to work on over the next six weeks.
The competition at safety only figures to intensify at training camp. And there are no guarantees in the NFL.
So he's not looking any further Ricky Wagner Womens Jersey ahead than the next opportunity.
"I don't look at it as a year," Farley said. "I look at it as today. If I get tomorrow, I get tomorrow. I'll make the most of it."

Posted 23 Jun 2017

Reply to Topic