Building a fantasy football team around Bucs WR Mike Evans

962 views 3 replies
Reply to Topic
Angel92

Total Posts: 0

There really aren't any ironclad conclusions to draw from a single 14-team fantasy football draft in the middle of June, but it http://www.authenticsteelerssale.com/shop-by-players-leveon-bell-jersey-c-2_8.html can offer some clues about what decisions many fantasy owners will face in their drafts.
We've previously covered the major trends and the first-round picks in the Fantasy Sports Trade Association league.
David Johnson goes No. 1 overall in FSTA fantasy football draft
So let's take a look at some of the strategy that came out of colleague Howard Kamen and I picking in the No. 7 overall spot.
Round 1: Best player available
Although it was tempting to take a running back, the best options were at wide receiver in this particular format (full point-per-reception scoring, start 3 WRs and a RB/WR/TE). I even put out a Twitter poll before the draft to gauge public opinion.
In the end, Mike Evans was the choice -- partly because he led the NFL in targets last season (171) and was third among wideouts in fantasy points per game (12.8).
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have another year of experience under the belt of quarterback Jameis Winston, and we've already seen how much of a rapport he has with Evans.
The arrival of free agent receiver (and noted deep threat) DeSean Jackson could also help take some of the pressure off Evans and improve his catch ratio.
Rounds 2-5: Building blocks
With No. 1 running backs in short supply http://www.coltsshopauthentic.com/shop-by-players-90-kendall-langford-jersey-c-1_37.html already (LeSean McCoy and Jay Ajayi went eighth and ninth overall), the choice with the second pick came down to Lamar Miller, Todd Gurley or Isaiah Crowell.
Terribly underused in Miami, Miller had a career-high 268 carries in his first season with the Houston Texans -- and that was despite missing the final two games with various injuries. Staying healthy will be huge for the 26-year-old Miller, but when is that NOT the case with a workhorse running back.
Interestingly, two tight ends were already off the board when the pick came back in Round 3. But the top-ranked one on my board was still there.
Jordan Reed is the top returning pass catcher in Washington with 1,000-yard receivers Jackson and Pierre Garcon leaving via free agency. And Reed was a favorite of Redskins QB Kirk Cousins. Only Rob Gronkowski averaged more fantasy points at the position last season than Reed's 8.7.
Reed's injury history is a huge concern, but tight end is a deep position -- and it shouldn't be difficult to find a replacement if he does miss time. So why not get a tight end much later? Because it's a position where there are few difference-makers. And Reed is one of them. (In taking him, we passed on the likes of WRs Terrelle Pryor, Donte Moncrief and Allen Robinson, as well as RBs Christian McCaffrey and Eddie Lacy.)
The next two picks were the top remaining players on my board at their positions, WR Emmanuel Sanders and RB Mark Ingram.
Both have their flaws, but who doesn't once you hit pick No. 50? We don't know what Denver's passing game will look like, but Junior Seau Youth Jersey Sanders in Round 4 seems like a better choice than Demaryius Thomas at the end of Round 2. (Passed on: QB Aaron Rodgers, RB Ty Montgomery, WRs Julian Edelman and Martavis Bryant.)
Ingram will face some competition from newly signed Adrian Peterson, but he's a good receiver in a pass-first offense. And he averaged over five yards per carry a year ago with 10 total touchdowns. (Passed on: Ameer Abdullah, Paul Perkins, Rob Kelley, Stefon Diggs, Eric Decker.)
Rounds 6-9: Rounding out the starters
If there's one vanity pick in this draft, it came in Round 6 with Tennessee Titans rookie wideout Corey Davis.
He's the flex starter on this team, but the rookie from Western Michigan has tremendous upside, something you look for in the middle to later rounds. I watched him a lot in college (where my son goes to school) ... so while I don't recommend this as a draft strategy, I do recommend enjoying the players you have on your roster. I'll be rooting for the kid. (Passed on: DeSean Jackson, Danny Woodhead, Frank Gore and a player we thought might be available in the next round, Adrian Peterson.)
With the six starting skill positions filled, Round 7 was when the quarterbacks started going quickly. Picking in the middle of the round made sure we wouldn't be caught at the end of a run. After Derek Carr was the sixth QB taken, we opted for the Redskins' Kirk Cousins ahead of Jameis Winston, Cam Newton or Russell Wilson.
It helps that he pairs nicely with Reed (although we could have done the same with Winston-Evans), but his 4,917 passing yards -- third in the league -- was the main selling point, even with a new cast of receivers. (FYI, passing TDs are worth four points.)
For flex consideration, we Tom Johnson Womens Jersey snagged Ravens wideout Mike Wallace and Patriots running back James White. It's hard to say how many touches they'll get, but there's an opportunity for some decent production.

Posted 10 Jul 2017

Reply to Topic