Jeff Sullivan FanGraphs Chat 8212 11-25-

302 views 1 replies
Reply to Topic
sherry2018love

Total Posts: 90

9:03Jeff Sullivan: Shall we be ready to baseball chat?
9:03Jeff Sullivan: Ive because of the queue a couple of minutes to get going and subsequently settle down
9:03Jeff Sullivan: So lets talk about god knows what
9:04Comment From garth algari fear change
9:04Comment From CecilFieldersButtPlugwell this looks funny
9:04Comment From nealwhat the heck is that this interface?????
9:04Comment From Chest RockwellFancy new digs.
9:04Jeff Sullivan: It looks similar to me!
9:04Jeff Sullivan: But I am nervous for you!
9:04Comment From JWill Rockies hitters ever get credit for being good?
9:05Jeff Sullivan: I love to believe that we give them credit were usually quick to notice that wRC+ adjusts for Coors and guys who hit well with the Rockies are usually good hitters. But theres not a way around it: theres going to become that but. Always going to become a a part of Rockies baseball, as baseball at this elevation is a different game from how it's elsewhere.
9:05Comment From BBBQWho do you consider the Red Sox end up trading Cespedes for?
9:06Jeff Sullivan: I dont have a specific pitcher in mind, but in my head I see him going for among those other one-year types. An Iwakuma or perhaps a Latos or a Kennedy or something, with a prospect or money going in some direction to even things out. I dont think Cespedes turns into a long-term a set.
9:07Comment From XoloWhat is Headleys updated asking price?
9:09Jeff Sullivan: Sandoval minus a year or so. Not a worse player, just an older player. Theres a perception gap between the two, but teams ought to be smart enough to realize that doesnt matter
9:09Comment From RichardA new update to CoverItLive. Bad or good?
9:09Jeff Sullivan: It appears about the same to me, but out of your standpoint I suppose it's bad
9:09Comment From WesleyWhat perform the Sox need to increase a Napoli-Zimmermann trade?
9:09Jeff Sullivan: Why would the Nationals want a first baseman?
9:10Jeff Sullivan: They simply let a first baseman visit make room for a first baseman
9:10Comment From SteveVHow much does lineup balance matter? An account balance of lefty and righty hitters. Is 3 good, say 1 at top, 1 in middle and 1 at the end of the lineup? Is 4 better or doesnt it matter much at all?
9:11Jeff Sullivan: Ultimately you want to end up in a situation in which you po se s the best players. Balance comes in as sort of a tie-breaker, where managers are more comfortable with a balanced attack than an unbalanced attack that leaves you susceptible on particular days. Within individual games, you dont really want to have lefties batting back-to-back, because then youre vulnerable against a good lefty reliever
9:11Comment From Josh Bre serWith Hanley within the fold, think Bogaerts may be available? If that's the case, does Cueto+ For Bogaerts+ seem sensible?
9:12Jeff Sullivan: Bogaerts might be incrementally more available, but the plan is for him to experience short. Other guys really are a hell of a lot more available. If youre looking for a Cueto trade framework, youre adding a great deal to Cueto, from Cincys end
9:12Comment From EmberWho gets Moncada, as well as for how much?
9:12Jeff Sullivan: Better question for Kiley, because hes plugged in on this stuff, however it appears like hell fetch something locally of $40 50 million
9:13Comment From coachTulo isnt beloved because of how frequently he stays on the field
9:13Jeff Sullivan: hasnt played 150 games since 2009. most likely not likely to suddenly become more durable
9:13Comment From Ro sWhat would you foresee to be the Mariners big proceed to generate a bat or would you see them pa sing up on one? I'm beginning to get a little worried as bats our flying off the shelves!
9:14Jeff Sullivan: No, theyll go. Maybe a couple things, considering that theyre likely to trade Michael Saunders. Theyll move Saunders, theyll add a righty outfielder, and theyll add a 1B/DH that may 't be right-handed with respect to the outfielder they get. Cespedes is still available, Upton is still available, Napoli is still out there
9:14Jeff Sullivan: I'm wondering if anyone in the league is going to see value in Allen Craig
9:15Comment From DeevoWhen are you going to guys ever implement your personal chat capabilities? This really is awful. Seriously, the chat moves down rather than up?! What sorcery is this?!
9:15Jeff Sullivan: And to think, this is actually the best thats available!
9:15Jeff Sullivan: As Dave has stated before, if you have something better, please tell us.
9:15Comment From LondonTribeHow long will catcher framing remain an art? Shouldnt baseball eventually proceed to a digital strike zone for consistency, which makes it a redundant art?
9:16Jeff Sullivan: An automatic strike zone is most likely a very long time away, but umpires seem to get more and more in line with every pa sing season, and theres a greater awarene s than ever before of the magnitude of pitch-framing, with umpires aware of it and more teams instructing it. So youre seeing shrinking gaps between the best and the worst. Its going to be an i sue for some time, I imagine, but at least theoretically in must gradually diminish in impact
9:17Comment From BretWhy do the Mets appear to think Ruben Tejada may be the worst? I know hes not perfect, but hes young, cheap, and fairly productive. Appears like a lot of teams would be pleased with that, however with the Mets hes a huge black hole.
9:18Jeff Sullivan: He hasnt developed, hes had some off-field concerns, and while hes a sufficient defensive shortstop, hes not great and he definitely doesnt hit, and today hes getting expensive. Hes not really a *problem* but hes not starter material
9:18Comment From CeejDo you believe the Twins when they claim that Sano and Buxton wont debut in 15?
9:18Jeff Sullivan: I could see the players themselves pushing for debuts in September, but I believe the Twins when they say they have a arrange for two of the best prospects in baseball
9:18Comment From LunchThe Red Sox should sign headley too. The brand new market inefficiency has a group entirely of third basemen.
9:19Jeff Sullivan: I would like them to do this to just like have him around. Run errands or something
9:19Comment From Ro sDoes Brad Miller or Chris Taylor get to be the answer at SS for the Mariners? Miller type of tanked this past year, although he did transform it around a bit and Taylors BABIP was totally unsustainable..
9:19Jeff Sullivan: You may see one of them get traded within the next month . 5, but as things stand at this moment, it looks like Taylor may be the starter and Miller is really a utility sort. Personally, i prefer Miller but its close
9:19Comment From CeejHow will/should the Sox free Bogaerts and Betts?
9:20Jeff Sullivan: Bogaerts will play short. Betts will find regular playing time in a number of positions, especially if Castillo struggles or Victorino/Ramirez end up hurt
9:20Jeff Sullivan: Betts might be similar to the 2013 Jurickson Profar plan
9:21Comment From SteveVIf teams are prepared to pay $50-60 mill + tax = $100-120Mill for Moncada. That includes 1-2 yrs in the minors and the very real po sibility that he busts. So wouldn it be a much better value to just pay Sandoval $100 mill?
9:22Jeff Sullivan: Moncadas 19, with superstar potential, and the money doesnt all count against the payroll like Sandovals money does. Its not just one or the other. Youre not signing Moncada to deal with an instantaneous weakne s
9:23Comment From Munenoris Espre so StandSo, the Ms have secured King Felix, Cano and today Seager, creating a small contention window. Who'll likely be the following player the Ms will sign to some long-term deal?
9:23Jeff Sullivan: Would you mean internally, or simply in general? In general, the best probability might fit in with Nelson Cruz. Internally, Im not sure this type of guy exists. It would be Mike Zunino if he got better, or James Paxton if he stayed healthy
9:24Comment From NickWith Zach Duke and Adam LaRoche added, what would be a reasonable next move to inch the White Sox closer to competing in 2015?
9:25Jeff Sullivan: They still a good amount of work. They need to addre s the entire outfield, and much from the infield, and also the bullpens a question mark, and the starting rotations thin behind the very best twopeople are talking about Melky Cabrera, but realistically, the White Sox are situated so that almost any type of upgrade would work. Theyre not restricted in A.Q. Shipley Jersey what they've around, because beyond Eaton, Abreu, Sale, Quintana, and LaRoche, theres not much
9:26Jeff Sullivan: Im interested to determine what they do with Ramirez. It appears as though hes being shopped, but if the White Sox want to be decent in 2015 that always requires a shortstop
9:26Comment From Darth StoutIf the Cubs leave with two B list free agent starting pitchers and never anything else, how would you grade their off-season?
9:26Jeff Sullivan: B
9:26Jeff Sullivan: If they dont like what they see this offseason, its because theyre get yourself ready for next offseason. Theres no critical feeling of urgency and theyre already sufficiently good to be watchable in 2015
9:27Comment From GSonHow much does Hanley leaving the Dodgers make sure they are more active in getting some guys for that left side from the infield?. Prepared to trade Kemp/Corey & Ca$h for Lindor, Frazier, Salazar and Wolters?
9:27Jeff Sullivan: They knew these were losing Hanley, and theyre going to get a shortstop at some point
9:27Jeff Sullivan: Maybe its Ramirez, maybe its Miller/Taylor, maybe its someone else. Friedman has tried to get one of the Mariners shortstops before
9:27Comment From MattDoes wRC+ have weakne ses/blindspots? It appears as though the most foolproof offensive stat available.
9:28Jeff Sullivan: Its pretty great, but I suppose you could quibble using the park factors. General handedne s park factors dont apply the same manner to any or all players of a given handedne s
9:28Comment From NickWould the White Sox be better served finding an outfielder via trade or signing Melky Cabrera?
9:29Jeff Sullivan: Depends upon the Cabrera terms. Im more comfortable with the team spending cash instead of depleting longer-term resources, though.
9:30Comment From Josh Bre serYou think the Red Sox would choose Latos, with his iffy 2014 peripherals, injury, and decreased velocity?
9:30Jeff Sullivan: I believe theyd have interest. I believe theyd also provide questions. But, obviously, if he checked out, that might be encouraging
9:31Comment From NickWhat would the Rockies request inside a deal for CarGo?
9:32Jeff Sullivan: Right now, an exce sive amount of. Hes an exce sive amount of a question mark coming off what happened this past year to fetch an excellent haul. I think Tulo could be moved for a big package, however with Gonzalez, the Rockies are probably best letting him re-establish value in the first half
9:33Jeff Sullivan: Then youd look for any very good prospect back
9:33Jeff Sullivan: Someones #2 or #3, perhaps
9:34Comment From DeweyJay Bruce capable of getting T. Walker?
9:34Jeff Sullivan: Wrong now
9:34Comment From gumpany means to fix the international FA market inside your opinion?
9:35Jeff Sullivan: Kiley could give you a means better answer. I spend time considering how the situation is broken. Kiley spends time considering how it could be fixed.
9:35Jeff Sullivan: Kileys the expert!
9:35Comment From Happy Fun BallWhat referring to teams with bottomle s pockets, such as BOS, NYY, LAD, ANA, etc isnt it sort of silly to check out FA signings when it comes to $/WAR efficiency? These clubs are simply searching for production period and often willing to pay a premium for it.
9:36Jeff Sullivan: They still run into limits. For the most part, they dont want to exceed the luxury-tax threshold, so theres a ceiling there to factor in. Efficiency continues to be a concern of theirs. Le s so than for, say, the As, but its a factor.
9:36Comment From ShawnRegarding the Sox signings- they have Victorino/Napoli/Ortiz coming off books in 2015- these deals arent as prohibitive as people are making them seem (now they may not be values, however they arent going to be cripplers)
9:37Jeff Sullivan: Yeah, people tend to exaggerate the extent that an agreement or two can cripple a ballclub, particularly when its a golf club with money like the Sox. If they have their way, theyll have a lot of cheap regulars coming with the system that will permit them to get away with spending big on players who may not quite be worth it
9:37Jeff Sullivan: Now, of course, when the young players bust, then thats a big problem, but that will be a serious problem regardle s
9:38Comment From ShawnCespedes to Seattle, Walker or Paxton to Cincy, Cueto or Latos to Boston (obviously additional pieces could be added too to Sea for Walker or Cincy for Cueto), but tend to this work?
9:38Jeff Sullivan: Potential framework there but its not even.
9:39Comment From AndrewAny Robert Nkemdiche Jersey idea exactly what the Astros could get to acquire Jason Castro? Would the Cubs be interested after pa sing up on Martin?
9:40Jeff Sullivan: The Cubs would be interested several teams have expre sed interest but this past year was pretty harmful to Castros trade value. Hes not returning a haul, avoid 2 yrs left as well as an 84 wRC+ last season. Maybe two interesting low-level prospects, or one more established mid-tier prospect
9:41Comment From GuestWith FA prices soaring, like a Cubs fan, Im going to be pretty pi sed if they arent prepared to go 6/180 200 for Lester. Thats a crapload of cash, but is that unreasonable of me? If Lester doesnt believe that from their store, fine. But if they cant offer it, must i be pi sed? (Note: I havent been mad regarding their spending up until this offseason at all. Wasnt mad they didnt go in which the Blue Jays did for Martin either.)
9:41Jeff Sullivan: The Cubs dont have to give Lester $30 million a season into his deep 30s
9:41Jeff Sullivan: There are always alternatives. Its never going to be Jon Lester or bust
9:42Comment From ShawnWhat does a trade for Justin Upton seem like?
9:42Jeff Sullivan: Pretty like the Heyward trade. Worse players coming back, under control for extended. Atlanta isnt going to turn Upton right into a ma sive blockbuster. Teams have confidence in him under they did a few years ago
9:44Comment From MBBetter choice for teams looking for a SS Steven Drew on a cheap 12 months deal or 1 of Asdrubel Cabrera/Jed Lowrie on the fair market price (say $8-$10 mil annually) on the Two year deal?
9:44Jeff Sullivan: If youre a smaller-market team, Drew. For those who have more to invest, Id take Lowrie and then shift him from short when I have the opportunity
9:44Comment From Tony G.Which players do you think get moved from Boston?
9:45Jeff Sullivan: Cespedes is nearly a lock, and Napoli seems likely. If they use the prospects, they wont be moving players in the the surface of the list
9:46Comment From BiltmoreThe thing about the move-Bogaerts rumors: that doesnt really solve anything! Ramirez isnt a SS anymore, so you still have the OF/3B logjam regardle s of whether you move XB or otherwise. Betts for any in a major way SP makes much more sense imo.
9:46Jeff Sullivan: Theoretically, you might have Ramirez play short in 2015, and you hope that Marrero is ready soon after.
9:48Comment From SteveVIsnt Plouffe plus 30 BA pts about comparable to Panda? His UZR is second to Headley. Also, he going into his peak and Panda is past his.
9:48Jeff Sullivan: Plouffe is over the age of Sandoval
9:49Jeff Sullivan: As far as his evaluation, depends what you make of his defense at third base. Numbers say he improved a lot in 2014, however if you simply regre s to his history, he doesnt look particularly special
9:49Comment From Josh Bre serDo you believe the Reds have the potential to contend this season? 97, 90 wins in last fully healthy years.
9:49Jeff Sullivan: Long shot. Theyre within the toughest positions in baseball right now.
9:49Comment From SKHow much would a situation proceed to 1B for Panda within a few years knock-off from his WAR/year? half a win?
9:50Jeff Sullivan: In theory it wouldnt genuinely have an effect the positional adjustment would be harsher, but his defense would look easier to balance it out
9:50Comment From DeweyHow functional would Carlos Quentin be like a DH?
9:50Jeff Sullivan: More functional than he's as an outfielder
9:50Comment From THE+average+sports+fanIf the Reds are going to be rebuilding in 2016 and 2017 at least. Why not take a shot in internet marketing this season?
9:50Jeff Sullivan: Seems like they might
9:51Comment From MisunderstoodButStillEvilClownare the white sox the most bimodal of the bad teams? It appears as though the top roster (1B, CF, SS, SP1, SP2) can enjoy for anybody, but there are other terrible terrible everyday players (DH, 2B, LF, entire bullpen, tailgate end from the rotation) than the others. appears like more enjoyable aspect to try fix than a straight mediocre team.
9:52Jeff Sullivan: Yeah, they think really extreme in that way. Similar to the Marlins a few years ago where all they had was Stanton and Fernandez. But it helps the White Sox that they already have some stars, because those are the hardest pieces to acquire. Unfortunately theyre also somewhat ephemeral so theres pre sure to get better quick, which theyre trying to pull off
9:52Comment From Questions!Rockies were 1st home based wOBA, 2nd to last in Road wOBA, and 2nd to last in both home and road FIP. What is do you even do to approach this problem if youre Bridich?
9:53Jeff Sullivan: You simply hope for better health, especially around the pitching side. The hitting splits are always going to be a problem Rockies players dont see pitches slowly move the same at home as they do on the road, so when they go on the highway, its a godawful adjustment. You cant eliminate the altitude effect, not with pitch movement.
9:54Comment From Allen CraigIs my career .325 BABIP sustainable, or did I happen to have three inflated BABIP years despite slow footing and an unremarkable batted ball profile, with true talent much nearer to 2014 than any years prior? Odds arent good on three straight high-BABIP years, but even low odds emerge every now and then.
9:54Jeff Sullivan: You used to be good, and then your bat speed eroded and also you cant pull the ball anymore. And pitchers noticed, so theyre pounding you with inside heat all the time. The hope is that Craig has recovered from his injury, so now he is able to swing again, but Id need that to become proved to me before I made any commitments
9:55Comment From ErixJeff, what do you do when youre feeling down?
9:55Jeff Sullivan: visit the wilderne s
9:55Comment From BiltmoreWhy are some free agencies louder than the others? In other words, Lester is over my news feed while Ive heard nary a word about Scherzer. Could it be a matter of an agents approach to the media? An agents method of the marketplace, e.g. moving earlier or later? Teams interest (in the player absolutely, or in the perceived surplus value that could result from a certain player but perhaps not from another, more costly player)?
9:57Jeff Sullivan: Whole lot of things however it frequently has to do with the company. Scherzer is a Boras guy, and Lester isnt, and Boras is obviously more deliberate. He likes to slow-play these things and hes going to watch for Lester to determine the market and the demand. Once the teams in on Lester mi s out, theyll turn to Scherzer, after which Boras can really go to work. Hell play his media games, but I dont think hes gotten started yet because teams at this time tend to be more focused on Lester, specifically because hes *NOT* a Boras guy
9:58Comment From RyanGausman vs. Stromanwho can you prefer on your team? Statistically Stroman was better last year, however i know Gausman was better touted
9:58Jeff Sullivan: Stroman
9:58Comment From Jon Morosi on twitter#Mariners have had trade talks on multiple RH outfielders, including Matt Kemp, Yoenis Cespedes, and Justin Upton. They would like to land one.
9:58Jeff Sullivan: no shit, Jon
9:59Comment From GuestAny protesting in Pdx?
9:59Jeff Sullivan: https://twitter.com/PDXPoli
10:00Jeff Sullivan: Phillies love Mookie Betts https://twitter.com/jcrasni
10:00Jeff Sullivan: Well obviously they are doing. Thats bad!
10:00Comment From MattDoes Chris Taylor or Brad Miller for Matt Kemp act as the start skeleton of a trade?
10:00Jeff Sullivan: Dodgers need to throw in a lot of money
10:00Comment From SnarfleIm pretty surprised Hanley didnt command more $$$. Granted it looks to be a good situation, and there's more to the world than purchasing power, but an infielder together with his power and hitting ability ought to break 100 easily no? Despite his defense and health problems?
10:01Jeff Sullivan: Health problems, reputation, bad defense. He would be a shortstop on the contender this past year, but hes not really a shortstop anymore so this isnt a shock. I was expecting more, but when he hits his fifth-year option with the Sox, thats about what I thought would happen
10:02Comment From JWith Hanley now from the market, is really a Tulo trade more prone to happen soon?
10:02Jeff Sullivan: Independent of one another, mostly Tulo is an actual shortstop. In the event that happens, itll happen during or after the winter meetings
10:02Comment From SadwickI for just one would like to begin to see the chat spiral into an unlimited aby s at the center from the screen instead of scroll down or up. Also, can Justin Upton really bring back more than Heyward given the current dearth of RH power, or perhaps is that just serious optimism by the Braves front office?
10:03Jeff Sullivan: Serious optimism. Teams like Uptons profile more than Heywards, so theres an advantage to his supplying right-handed power, but hell also cost more than Heyward and hes been statistically inferior overall, so thatll balance
10:03Comment From OrenWhat are some teams you can observe being thinking about Dioner Navarro?
10:03Jeff Sullivan: Plenty of teams might have some curiosity about him like a backup. No one should really take a look at him like a starter
10:03Jeff Sullivan: (back in 2 minutes)
10:06Comment From Dave LittlefieldIm thinking to the Pirates from 2007 and 2008 and also the barren wasteland that Huntington took control of and I wince at the idea. Can you think of any system ever being worse compared to Pirates franchise of that time period. Apart from McCutchen and Neil Walker, BRAD LINCOLN was their best prospect, unle s Im forgetting someone.
10:07Jeff Sullivan: Funny thing is, those Pirates lists included as well one Steve Pearce!
10:08Jeff Sullivan: Those were bad, but, McCutchen. There have been another bad ones recently. The Brewers drained themselves. The Angels got bad quick after Trout got promoted and they traded for Greinke. The White Sox have only recently begun adding talent to the system after an awful trough
10:08Comment From mdpheyman has bruce like a target for that jays. he was bad this past year, even considering micro level batted ball/plate discipline stuff. do you peg him to recover? what type of offer would the reds entertain?
10:09Jeff Sullivan: I believe the road with Bruce is the fact that he never quite found his mechanics after getting hurt. Attempted to play hurt, didnt work, and all me sed up his own timing. You have to expect that hell bounce back but hes not returning what he wouldve last year because teams dont be sure that Bruce will recover
10:10Comment From Mooking for LoveA suming they trade Cespedes, how's Betts not the #1 OF option (not counting needing to look for a spot for Hanley)? I dont observe how hes a little way and away a better option to start than Vic or Craig, especially in a lineup without any other great leadoff options.
10:10Jeff Sullivan: I cant tell if youre forgetting Castillo or not, but because recently as 2013 Victorino was practically a six-win player. The Red Sox are likely to give him a chance to recover from injury, but Betts would find amount of time in between. Guys always need slow days, and sometimes guys get hurt
10:11Comment From SnarfleI dont know what their scouts think of him, but its frustrating having young talent in a position of need on the open market and feeling like the Mets have zero po sibility of signing Tomas. Sorry the corrupt owners got involved with a more corrupt investor doesnt quite do it for me personally.
10:11Jeff Sullivan: Lots of teams are backing from Tomas simply because they question his defense and physical shape. So there are good good reasons to be suspicious of him too
10:12Comment From Pirates HurdlesNow it is skipping questions and posting them later out of order.
10:12Jeff Sullivan: son of the god damn
10:12Comment From KBRealistic best case scenario for that Milwaukee Brewers in 2015?
10:12Jeff Sullivan: World Series championship?
10:13Comment From KBIs Yankees Curtis Granderson a good comp for George Springer?
10:14Jeff Sullivan: Somewhat statistically, but not really when it comes to actual skills. Springer is definitely an extreme representation of a more familiar skillset, in that he swings at 125% every single time and therefore generates unbelievable raw power. Granderson never matched Springers strength, but Springer may never strike out under 30% of the time
10:15Comment From EmberWhat do you see the Yankees doing at SS? Will they sign someone like Drew, or trade for someone like Rollins? Very few great po sibilities for them.
10:15Jeff Sullivan: They ought to get Miller
10:15Comment From Josh Bre serWhat do you consider the Reds outlook for 2015 is?
10:15Jeff Sullivan: fourth or fifth place
10:16Comment From SteveVHow much has Profars star faded?
10:17Jeff Sullivan: Some, obviously, but le s than youd think. Annually lost to injury is preferable to a year lost to underperformance, somewhat, and hes still younger than, say, Carlos Rodon
10:17Comment From JDo you have a favorite NL team? Rockies?
10:17Jeff Sullivan: basically had to select one maybe its the Padres, but Ive didn't have to pick one
10:17Jeff Sullivan: it is not the Rockies
10:18Comment From TomHow certain are teams on player ages now? Are teams 100% sure that the listed birthdays for Sandoval and Ramirez are accurate? Or is there still some doubt with players from certain countries?
10:18Jeff Sullivan: Theyre certain
10:18Comment From JayI see how adding two good hitters helps the Red Sox but a suming they're working within a budget, why not put the Hanley money toward a good starting pitcher or two. I gue s Im not believing that Hram means they are much better given their internal alternative however the same probably isnt true for his or her starting pitching.
10:19Jeff Sullivan: When the offseason has ended, the Red Sox will have added a good starting pitcher or two. Things make le s sense in the middle than they do at the conclusion. Instead of putting all the Hanley money towards a starter, theyll trade an outfielder for any starter since there is a new outfielder. Its also po sible no good starters wish to sign for 4-5 years
10:19Comment From seerWhen can we have year-round baseball?
10:20Jeff Sullivan: We all do. Its just in many different places
10:20Comment From SteveVIf a accumulate the WAR of each player on a 25 man roster, will I develop total team WAR?
10:21Jeff Sullivan: Team WAR is cumulative. It might be easier to just consider the page with team WAR on it
10:22Comment From arif the phillies provided to pay hamels entire salary, whats a good return in the red sox?
10:22Jeff Sullivan: Bogaerts + Betts
10:23Jeff Sullivan: maybe another smaller piece too
10:23Comment From RKthe answers to the questions are becoming posted out of order
10:23Jeff Sullivan: God will i ever hate Cover It Live
10:23Comment From HouzerWho hangs up first . Price for Bogaerts?
10:23Jeff Sullivan: lol
10:24Comment From chiltonWhats with the constant concern for blocking players? If a players good enough, hell enter the lineup and youll have depth or trade a sets. If hes not, hes not, and you've got insurance forCalais Campbell Jersey your contingency. Obvi dont wish to accomplish that instead of bolstering elsewhere, but discu sions of blocking arent usu motivated by the opportunity price of relying on the prospect alone and getting better elsewhere.
10:25Jeff Sullivan: Yeah, its an exaggerated concern. Its a genuine one sometimes, but its seldom a huge problem. You can move a guys position, or move a man for a roughly equivalent guy somewhere else. Even in the situation where the Mariners completely blocked Nick Franklin with Robinson Cano, they eventually turned Franklin right into a center fielder, which they needed. Forget about blockage!
10:26Comment From harmonyGiven each teams interests, which Cincinnati starter is Boston outfielder Yoenis Cespedes probably to land for just one year: Johnny Cueto, Mat Latos, Mike Leake or Alfredo Simon?
10:26Jeff Sullivan: Latos
10:26Jeff Sullivan: Red Sox would want Cueto the most, obviously, however the Reds know that
10:26Comment From GuestAny chance Hanley plays 3rd and Pablo plays 1st inside a season or 2?
10:26Jeff Sullivan: doubtful
10:26Comment From jocephuswho would you rather have in LFmanny or hanley
10:26Jeff Sullivan: Hanley
10:27Comment From MattJust read Colin OKeefes tweet in regards to a Kuma/Saunders for Cespedes/Napoli trade proposal. Have to say Im keen on that concept. Although it would still leave Ms with holes to connect SP and Backup OF, it gives them the righty thump they're looking for and doesnt tie any long-term expenditures to the Ms.
10:28Jeff Sullivan: The annoying bit being that the Red Sox arent seeking to move an outfielder to have an outfielder. They dont have a use for Saunders, so he should be flipped elsewhere
10:28Comment From GuestAre the Orioles stuck in simply the same position because the Reds?
10:28Jeff Sullivan: Stronger position. Orioles have some more talent, plus theyre magic
10:29Comment From MikeWhat is the chance we look back in 2 years are see that the Red Sox Sandoval and Ramirez signings as shrewd? The free agent marketplace is pretty barren at INF within the next 2-3 years and salary inflation is likely to increase considering that fact which more teams are flush with cash.
10:29Jeff Sullivan: We adjust for inflation when we evaluate this stuff. I dont think the signings are going to look shrewd. I think theres an excellent chance they look fine
10:29Comment From Houzercan Anthony Gose surpa s the usefulne s of Austin Jackson in the next 2 years?
10:29Jeff Sullivan: Just how much do you believe in Jacksons collapse in last years second half?
10:30Comment From adamwho wins the NL MVP next season
10:30Jeff Sullivan: McCutchen
10:30Comment From ReptarPeople exaggerate the extent to which a contract or two can cripple a ballclub? Dan Uggla and BJ Upton agree.
10:31Jeff Sullivan: Last year Upton involved 10% of the Braves payroll. Its obviously a problem, but its pretty much never the biggest problem. And Upton is the disaster scenario. Almost no free-agent contracts turn out *this* bad
10:31Comment From BBBQBut doesnt Lesters agent realize that Boras is using Lester like a bargaining chip? Why doesnt Lesters agent relax and wait?
10:32Jeff Sullivan: Maybe Lester wants a decision sooner. Maybe Lester wants to have the largest po sible market.
10:32Comment From GuestFor the Angels, would you begin to see the difference in them making the playoffs or otherwise decreasing to how good Garrett Richards performs in accordance with his 2014 performace?
10:32Jeff Sullivan: I believe in Richards. Might have more to do with just how much Matt Shoemaker sustains from his breakthrough campaign
10:33Comment From DavidPhilly expected two or more top prospects back from Boston are cray cray right? IF option 1 is trade Betts/Bogearts for Hamels and the contract or Option B) Trade Betts OR Bogaerts for J. Zimmermann allow him to walk at the end of the entire year get a QO. Sign Samardjza or Cueto or Iwakuma or Fister or etc..for 5/85 mil this equals relatively the same cost as Hamels and more WARand keeping betts.
10:33Jeff Sullivan: You dont move Betts/Bogaerts for Hamels, and also you dont move Betts or Bogaerts for one year of Zimmermann
10:33Comment From PDX4LIFEWhen will Portland get its own baseball team, and just what will they be called
10:33Jeff Sullivan: Itll be considered a while, and, the Swifts
10:34Comment From DougDoes Amaro think Hamels is the only good pitcher on the trade market?
10:34Jeff Sullivan: Sees Hamels as the best pitcher on the trade market. Believes the long-term security adds value
10:35Comment From More deep thoughtsLast week, Kim Kardashian broke the internet, and also the remnants of the week befores hot new thing parodied it (Smarf posing). Now, we dont care about either. A minimum of the viral topic from the moment has some heft, but call me when that really accomplishes something/we dont just proceed to some inane video in a few days and end up forgetting about justice.
10:35Jeff Sullivan: what the hell is Smarf?
10:36Jeff Sullivan: Everything popular on the internet is stupid. Meaningful every day life is lived from computers.
10:36Comment From JBest career: injury free Brandon Webb, Troy Tulowitzki, or Grady Sizemore?
10:36Jeff Sullivan: Ooooh. Tulo? Tough one.
10:36Comment From MikeWhat needs to happen for that White Sox to help make the playoffs in 2016?
10:37Jeff Sullivan: Healthy Sale, healthy Quintana, impre sive Rodon, Abreu stability, gains from Eaton. Also, there are more contributors who arent around the roster yet
10:37Comment From MikeBuster Posey to 3B?
10:37Jeff Sullivan: Hes still a great catcher
10:38Comment From BXThe Sean Nolin for John Jaso rumors which have been floating around. Who comes out on the top in the event that trade were to happen one for just one?
10:38Jeff Sullivan: The As would come on top there, because Jaso has one year left and you never know how hes likely to get over the concu sion problems?
10:39Comment From JimIve actually been reading lots of fans comments who say Pedro isn't a 1st ballot HOFer and maybe not a HOFer whatsoever. Am I in Bizzaro World?
10:39Jeff Sullivan: Change your reading habits
10:39Comment From MKDo you think the Nats trade J Zimmermann and just what are a few reasonable deals?
10:39Jeff Sullivan: I think they move him for any worse player who's in check for extended. Theyre trying to get from having a lot of contracts end after 2015
10:39Comment From MKWhat do you consider the best option is for the Nats 2B vacancy?
10:39Jeff Sullivan: Maybe something they get for Zimmermann. Perhaps its Jed Lowrie, that is a concept I wont let myself abandon
10:40Comment From johnSo, Red Sox signed HanRam and Panda at a lower price (or close) to what was expected. Could it be due to the Red Sox? Say the Mets were prepared to sign HanRam, would he did that for 4-88? Mets much needed a SS greater than the sox
10:40Jeff Sullivan: Hanley Ramirez isnt a shortstop
10:40Comment From strong sadsad groups of recent vintage: the Reds (good but never close to WS, window of contention closing), the Jays (probably finally gasp with this particular crew that never quite got it together), the Padres (really just hopele sly bad despite all tries to the exact opposite), Tigers (so close so frequently but never sealing the offer), or Rangers (about as close as you can get to a first WS title, after which nope)
10:40Jeff Sullivan: The Rangers kill me for the way close theyve gotten
10:41Jeff Sullivan: The Padres really are a different kind of pain
10:41Comment From MichaelSo after signing HanRam and Panda, Boston is going to be paying Craig a coupla million to sit down on the bench, whereas St. Louis is going to be paying John Lackey peanuts to become a solid #2 starter. Worst trade of the season?
10:41Jeff Sullivan: The Red Sox like Joe Kelly, who was the particular get in that move
10:42Comment From GuestWhy didnt you are writing the Seager piece for fg?
10:42Jeff Sullivan: I was working on something else, and Dave wasnt
10:42Comment From arso then should the phillies offer to pay hamels whole salary?
10:43Jeff Sullivan: I absolutely think the Phillies should use this opportunity to buy prospects. The money doesnt mean much for them. The prospects could change their whole trajectory. I wouldnt whatsoever be surprised if this settles at Hamels + money for a big return. Appears like probably the most convenient compromise
10:44Comment From GuestAny Chance the Ms get Cespedes and Vic in the sox for Iwakuma +?
10:44Jeff Sullivan: Cespedes and Napoli is much more likely
10:44Comment From AlexIs there any validity towards the believed that by signing both Sandoval and Hanley before moving some of their other pieces, the Sox may have le s negotiating power in trading other pieces? Seems like other teams can now say: if you dont meet our selling price, we all know youre likely to be stuck with like 8 outfielders
10:45Jeff Sullivan: Nah. All you need is demand. Other teams dont have leverage by saying that the Red Sox are stuck, because plenty of teams would want a Yoenis Cespedes. Theyre in competition with each other, and when one draws a line in the sand to try and trap the Red Sox, the Sox would just look elsewhere
10:45Comment From PrichThoughts on the Seager extension?
10:45Jeff Sullivan: I love it. I love him!
10:45Comment From GuestWould you rather begin to see the mariners get gattis and j-up or cespedes and napoli?
10:45Jeff Sullivan: The former, because theyre better and Gattis isnt a free agent in a year. But that would also cost more to receive
10:46Comment From PrichJackie Bradley Jr for Latos, who says no?
10:46Jeff Sullivan: I believe the Reds say no to that, although its not unreasonable. They probably dont need another good defensive CF with all kinds of hitting questions
10:47Comment From Gila MonsterIs there something we dont learn about Headley. All of us identify him at a value while he was 90% the hitter as Sandoval along with a better defender. But teams dont seem to want him. I am talking about you know something is wrong once the Padres were offer 6/$100M+ for Sandoval but hadn't curiosity about speaking with Headley
10:48Jeff Sullivan: Headleys older, and teams like Sandovals contact skills. Headley is going to get his money sometime soon, however, you can see why one would be preferred within the other
10:48Comment From MichaelDoes Amaro think? Like, whatsoever?
10:48Jeff Sullivan: Hes no idiot. Hes just stubborn
10:49Comment From GuestIs Headley really only likely to sign for 4 years ~50-60 mil? Appears like a steal in my experience?
10:49Jeff Sullivan: I could see 4/65 or so. Could be similar to the Sandoval contract whenever you factor in their respective ages
10:49Comment From Big Joe MufferawWhere does Lester end up? Inside your opinion? and why?
10:49Jeff Sullivan: Honestly it just seems like Boston. I expect something soon. I dont come with an insider-y source about this, it simply has that feeling of inevitability.
10:50Comment From GuestIs Randy Johnson and Pedro unanimous first ballot HoFers? Both were stupidly good.
10:50Jeff Sullivan: I mean, they obviously should be
10:50Comment From Yo-YoDo you buy them being in on Lester and Scherzer? The biggest contract from outside their team theyve given is $53 million for Peralta. Could they be pushing in most, if not completely, their chips for 2015?
10:51Jeff Sullivan: I purchase their interest. I dont buy them getting either pitcher. I believe they end up trading Bourjos+ for a decent arm
10:51Comment From Big Joe MufferawSandoval appears like a really bad signing by at this time (I understand we will can just learn based on on-field perfromance in like3-4 years..BUT). With all the data available and that showed within the article, so why do you believe the Red Sox pulled the trigger?
10:52Jeff Sullivan: Sandovals good, hes not old, he hits from each side, hes popular, hes performed in pre sure-packed situations, he makes contact a lot, and the Red Sox come with an enormous budget.
10:52Comment From MichaelSo is there whatever reason why I should like Joe Kelly too? Since i dont
10:53Jeff Sullivan: I believe thats a scouting thing greater than a statistical thing. Statistically, Kelly isnt real special, but I think hes a tweak away from appearing like a #2. No guarantee he gets there, obviously, but he's a tailing sinker at 95 as a starter. Its a good starting point
10:53Comment From SnarfleDo you have a problem with procrastination?
10:53Jeff Sullivan: Every day
10:54Comment Christian Bryant Jersey From HouzerAre the Tigers mi sing a chance when they dont re-sign Scherzer and trade David Price? They could really make use of a young high upside positional player under team control. Profar? Schoop? Bogaerts?
10:55Jeff Sullivan: The Rays traded David Price for Smyly/Franklin/(low prospect) when there were two playoff races remaining. Now Price is le s valuable, so hed get a le ser return. Which means no Profar, no Bogaerts
10:56Comment From Happy Fun BallWhat can you consider swapping Taylor or Miller from SEA, with Souza or Taylor in WAS ? An inferior deal, for sure, but addre ses needs for teams
10:56Jeff Sullivan: I like the idea
10:56Comment From JWhy are your chats always more than the others? You want us more?
10:56Jeff Sullivan: I hit a groove following the first hour or so, which lets me do work while postponing doing other work
10:57Comment From GuestWouldnt you begin Castillo in AAA? And also have an opening day's of HanRam,Betts, and Victorino? Because if Victorino is health, you have a problem in which you dont po se s a spot of Castillo.
10:57Jeff Sullivan: I think you've just got a rotation with Castillo, Victorino, Ramirez, and Betts. After which when somebody gets hurt or underperforms, problem solved
10:58Comment From ChrisDo you believe the Phillies could (or should) to s in an additional piece into a Hamels+cash for X deal? Say, Asche or Brown (if perhaps to be rid of him). Or would the Red Sox consider that an offer breaker?
10:58Jeff Sullivan: Dont understand what the Red Sox would use those guys
10:58Comment From Big Joe Mufferawhow much further ahead are team analytics compared to what we should see here on FG and other sites?
10:58Jeff Sullivan: Ahead, but by under you might think. They have use of more details, but seldom does that information meaningfully change the way a person may be evaluated
10:59Comment From harmonyFelix Hernandez, Kyle Seager and Robinson Cano who posted fWAR of 6.2, 5.5 and 5.2 this season each remain under team control for at least six seasons. Given their young lineup (and young pitching staff) do the Seattle Mariners get one of baseballs widest windows for contention?
10:59Jeff Sullivan: Difficult to trust pitchers, and Cano is 32. Theyre definitely greater than a one- or two-year thing, but Id trust a group having a stronger system more
11:00Comment From Josh Bre serIs Walt Jocketty a high 5 worst GM in baseball?
11:00Jeff Sullivan: I dont think so, however i dont really rank GMs.
11:00Comment From NateTell someone this is broken. Unreadable. We see 3 or four user questions in a row, then attempt to decipher which of the answers goes with which question. (A suming youre not actually publishing in that order.) Not your fault, but you may guys should get a refund?
11:01Jeff Sullivan: Ugh. I hate this software a lot.
11:01Comment From MichaelIsnt RAJ just setting himself up for any PR disaster by publicly demanding 3 top prospects for Hamels? Wont the phans be vastly disappointed once they begin to see the actual return, a suming RAJ even manages to trade Hamels at all?
11:01Jeff Sullivan: Amaro can solve it by throwing in money to pay for some of Hamels contract. Then the team could po sibly get a great return, and also the fans generally dont worry about money going the other direction to balance things out.
11:01Comment From _David_Isnt $18M for Seager how much of an average player will be paid in 3-7 years? Seems like hed be above that age 30-33.
11:02Jeff Sullivan: Eventually hell worsen and hes probably only a few seasons from looking vaguely average. Maybe he loses his power, maybe his defense regre ses. Hes not really a surefire long-term superstar
11:02Jeff Sullivan: Thankfully hes not being paid like one
11:03Comment From Josh Bre serWhat do you think a proper Joey Vottos likely ceiling is for 2015?
11:03Jeff Sullivan: The final form of a healthy Joey Votto
11:03Comment From MattWasnt the marginal worth of upgrading the OF for the Red Sox not nearly as expensive upgrading the rotation having a le ser player? Individuals will say it doesnt matter because they will fill pitching needs, however it seems the marginal value could be greater in upgrading the rotation until you replace all but Kelly and Buccholz.
11:04Jeff Sullivan: Theyll make it happen. They simply arent pointed in the expected order of products. They have a lot of value left to gain with the addition of towards the staff and kicking out the mediocre bits
11:04Comment From MichaelIs the need for pitch framing lower than what numbers from BP and co. suggest or are teams just completely hesitant to pay for it to many other reason?
11:05Jeff Sullivan: Teams dont like to pay it off because the perception is that theres a high pitch-framing replacement level, and teams dont quite trust that its a long-term skill as MLB gets to be more conscious of it. Teams value framing otherwise they wouldnt be teaching it but a strong market hasnt developed since there arent lots of guys who are good hitters *and* receivers
11:07Comment From AlexMets send: Jacob deGrom, Kevin Plawecki, and Daniel Murphy. Rockies send: Troy Tulowitzki . Who disapproves? Whats put into each side? Do you think the Mets try to push for Tulo?
11:07Jeff Sullivan: Rockies say no to that
11:07Comment From MichaelIf the answer for Amaro is to throw in money why are the Red Sox considered the most likely partner? Dont they've enough money that they dont need to sell their prospects?
11:08Jeff Sullivan: The cash would allow for Hamels to are le s expensive from the luxury tax. The Red Sox dont want to exceed the posh tax
11:08Comment From gumpsaw an article a while back about the gap between AAA and the majors being bigger than ever (bohaerts/polanco/profar all struggling). just a one year blip or perhaps a genuine thing? how does it affect aging curves?
11:09Jeff Sullivan: I believe its the best concern. I dont know what it might do to aging curves, however it would force people to reduce their expectations for top prospects on the rise.
11:09Comment From TonyRumor just started floating the Cubs have offered Lester 6 many north of $135 Million. How much higher will his future contract go from that?
11:09Jeff Sullivan: Not much higher. That should be nearly enough to get it done
11:09Jeff Sullivan: Maybe you end up with an option, however that right there seems fair
11:09Comment From DavidName one current player that currently blows that will happen to be amazing within the 1920s
11:09Jeff Sullivan: All them
11:10Comment From Sweet LouHow smart/foolish will it be for the Mariners to hold onto both Taylor/Miller and try to develop Miller right into a Ben Zobrist-type?
11:10Jeff Sullivan: That wouldnt be foolish
11:10Jeff Sullivan: Okay, I need to get started. The queue is clear!
11:10Jeff Sullivan: So thank you everybody for hanging out, and Im sorry for which I didnt or couldnt addre s. Well try it again next week simultaneously, and until then, be and have great days
Posted 20 Oct 2017

valandrian says
bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332
bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332
bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332bd45332
bd45332
Posted 22 May 2018

Reply to Topic