MUSAFIR is a waste of time

2402 views 47 replies
Reply to Topic
charizmatic

Total Posts: 5317

well i watched the movie with gr8 expactations but man let me tell u that its a total sh*ttt movie is very stylish no doubt abt that but there is nothing in the story and one thing i wana mention is too much nudity and sex infact some scenes r specially injected in the movie jus for front banchers bekar movie
Posted 16 Dec 2004

Rain Man says
it didn't release in theatres over here, so i haven't seen it yet...
Posted 16 Dec 2004

SanjuBaba says
But its a Hit and I personally loved the movie. It just needed more of Sanju.

Masses Embrace 'Musafir'

Two weeks ago, a topnotch producer, who has just delivered a hit, narrated an interesting anecdote to me. I deem it fit to begin 'Business Talk' by sharing the amusing tale with you.

About a year ago, this producer had organized a pre-release screening of his previous film [also a laughathon] for one of his business friends. Once the screening ended and the anxious producer enquired how his business associate felt about the film, prompt came the reply, “Not too exciting.”

Notwithstanding the criticism by industrymen and critics, the film proved a profitable venture for the makers.

Back to the present! A few weeks ago, the producer invited the same gentleman to the pre-release screening of his new film. As usual, the producer raised the customary question, “How's the film?” The gentleman had a rather similar answer this time around. “Theek hain… Your earlier film was a masterpiece, us film ki baat hi kuch aur thhee… This one isn't half as exciting,” he answered. What a contradiction… or let's say, quite a somersault!

In an industry that embraces new friends and changes opinions every Friday, depending on how successful your film is at the box-office, this particular incident really doesn't come as a surprise to me. Everything boils down to how your film has fared at the turnstiles. Nothing else matters!

Two years ago, Sanjay Gupta's KAANTE opened to an extremely mixed response, with a majority of the industry ripping it apart. But the box-office figures had a different story to tell. The b.o. collections of KAANTE did silence Gupta's 'well wishers' in due course…

Back to the present! MUSAFIR, Dutt and Gupta's latest outing, opened to a similar feedback from a section of the industry. But this time around, the same people who had criticized KAANTE were calling the film a classic and the present one with all kinds of names. Note the contradiction!

You ought to have a strong stomach to absorb a film like MUSAFIR. The film is in sharp contrast to what the Johars and Chopras have been attempting for a while now. It's again different from the saccharine-sweet romantic tales or the saas-bahu dramas that continue to dominate the small screen these days. MUSAFIR is a dark movie, with scant appeal for the family audiences.

But the audience is always ready for a change provided it is within commercial parameters. Despite limitations [dark film, 45 + heroes, sex and violence aplenty, 'A' certificate] and criticism aplenty [by industrymen and 'renowned' critics], MUSAFIR had a thunderous start at the box-office. The first three days at practically every centre was 90% +, which is phenomenal for a film of this genre. The collections slided downwards from Monday at multiplexes, but at single screen theatres, patronized by the masses, it's in the range of 70%-80% +.

Had the film been a sheer waste of time, the collections would've plummeted on Day 1 itself. The strong face-value does play an important part when it comes to attracting crowds outside cinema halls, but what eventually matters is the content. If the film is weak in content, the collections register a sharp fall in the evening shows on Day 1 itself.

With a terrific start, Gupta and Dutt have won half the battle. Yes, the response is mixed - the masses are loving the film, while the ladies haven't given it their whole-hearted approval. But let's not forget, the days of universal acceptance for any film are over. The tastes change/differ from region to region, from state to state. And what eventually matters is how attractive your balance sheet looks at the end of the day.

The second release - ROK SAKO TO ROK LO - had a lukewarm start, despite fantastic promotion undertaken by its producers. Perhaps, MUSAFIR and HULCHUL [still strong at multiplexes] were too strong an opposition.
Posted 17 Dec 2004

khud poori dek kar ab humain bata rahe ho
Posted 17 Dec 2004

sanjay gupta hollywood chala jaye
Posted 17 Dec 2004

Fairl_Girl says
bull sh*ttt
Posted 17 Dec 2004

thakki hoi movie hai yaar bila wajah nude scenes dal diay hein and too many vulgar dialogues
Posted 17 Dec 2004

sanjay gupta didnt learn...he has met with accident after kaante was released
Posted 17 Dec 2004

hmm, it was okay. not that good. i liked Dhoom better
Posted 18 Dec 2004

shahrukh khan said:

nahi yaar kantee was gr8 movie but this time he missed the trick
Posted 18 Dec 2004

guest. says
no matter how the movie turned out to b .. which was stupid waste of time

bt the saaki song is a blast
Posted 18 Dec 2004

charizmatic said:

shahrukh khan said:

nahi yaar kantee was gr8 movie but this time he missed the trick

i mean to say that he is still making dirty movies
Posted 18 Dec 2004

SanjuBaba says
This movie is really not for Ladies and even if you don't like it. Musafir is already a hit.
Posted 18 Dec 2004

coz of dirty stuff
Posted 18 Dec 2004

Rain Man says
imma rent the DVD tonight, lets see whats the real deal...
Posted 19 Dec 2004

SanjuBaba says
shahrukh khan said:

coz of dirty stuff

It is not a hit cuz of dirty stuff. Its a hit cuz of the story and great acting by some really great actors and if u think its a hit cuz of dirty stuff then y don't all other movies that came out (ex: Julie) got hit ?
Posted 19 Dec 2004

nah, musafir isnt a hit cauz it came out on dvd already!
Posted 19 Dec 2004

Rain Man says
SanjuBaba said:

shahrukh khan said:

coz of dirty stuff

It is not a hit cuz of dirty stuff. Its a hit cuz of the story and great acting by some really great actors and if u think its a hit cuz of dirty stuff then y don't all other movies that came out (ex: Julie) got hit ?

i haven't seen musafir yet so nothing i can say about it yet, thou i rented the DVD imma watch it in n hour or two, but just to get ur fact right Julie was a HIT...
Posted 19 Dec 2004

SanjuBaba says
Bush_Blasta said:

nah, musafir isnt a hit cauz it came out on dvd already!

What that suppose to mean ?
Posted 19 Dec 2004

shahrukh khan said:

coz of dirty stuff

truee i agree
Posted 19 Dec 2004

Rain Man says
i finally saw it yesterday night...
the movie was good, ending was STUPID...they should've showed Sanjay Dutt a lil more...
Anil Kapoor was the best in the movie...two thumbs up for him...
about the heavy dose of skin show...well i don't mind that...i aint a kid...so ne thing goes neither i watch these kinda movies with my family...so...Koena should put a mask on her face n then she'll look even more beautiful...sameera is ite...

i would rate it
3.5/5...
Posted 19 Dec 2004

SanjuBaba said:

shahrukh khan said:

coz of dirty stuff

julie was a hit movie..i didn't saw it
Posted 19 Dec 2004

vikaram butt,mahesh butt,sanjay gupta hamesha aisi hi movies banatey hain
Posted 19 Dec 2004

SanjuBaba says
yash chopra and karan johar bhi ek hi tarah ki movie banate hain
Posted 20 Dec 2004

Rain Man says

there is no point in debatin on this...
every one has their own style of makin movies...
Posted 20 Dec 2004

kamazkam karan johar,subash ghai,yash chopra family movies banatey hain
Posted 20 Dec 2004

YAS said:

there is no point in debatin on this...
every one has their own style of makin movies...

yes
Posted 20 Dec 2004

Rain Man says
Posted 20 Dec 2004

SanjuBaba says
it dosen't matter there is all kind of movies u can't just make all family movies
Posted 20 Dec 2004

thats y there is a evil
Posted 20 Dec 2004

Rain Man says
musafir is good, but i don't think its gona be a super hit neither it has a chance to get nominated in the Awards...
Posted 20 Dec 2004

Reply to Topic