Imran calls for the axing of Inzamam

949 views 6 replies
Reply to Topic
Shahrukh Khan

Total Posts: 43596

Imran Khan, the former Pakistan captain, has called for the axing of Inzamam-ul-Haq from the captaincy and feels that Younis Khan will make a better leader. Imran termed Pakistan's performance against Australia recently, where there were whitewashed 3-0, as "spineless" and lashed out at Shoaib Akhtar's insistence at retaining his extra-long run-up.

"To have expected them to work wonders in Australia was asking for the sky," Imran was reported as saying in the Herald Sun. "But what I think is disappointing is the manner, the spineless manner, in which they have played, the lack of fighting qualities, no leadership, no plans. It's the mismatch that has been greatly disappointing. People expected a bit more of a fight."

Imran came down heavily on Inzamam and felt he should have played the final Test despite his injury. "I can understand a fast bowler missing out, but a batsman missing out is disappointing. I played as a captain so many times with injuries because if the team is inexperienced they need you. He [captain] just has to bite the bullet, have pain-killing injections. I played the whole 1992 World Cup with pain-killing injections."

Imran was also not too convinced about Yousuf Youhana's credentials to take over the top job. "I don't know if he [Youhana] has the character. I want someone who has the ability to fight. You don't need the best ability, but you need some discipline. I think Younis Khan, if he had a better temperament. I mean he is a fighter but he throws his wicket away. But he seems to be a better choice as a captain."

Akhtar's run-up has been a talking point all summer with Imran and Bob Woolmer asking him to shorten the run after the Perth Test. Shoaib, however, likened his run-up to an airplane gaining momentum while take-off and refused to agree to the change. Imran revealed he had given the advice five years back. "I tried to make him understand you get your speed from your sprint. But you only get your sprint from 15 paces, the last 15 paces. You don't have to sprint all the way from the sightscreen.

"What Shoaib hasn't come to terms with is he runs all that distance but, as I explained to him, the grounds in Australia are very soft. It takes a big toll on your hamstrings and the back of your legs. He reaps the breakthroughs but great bowlers must be able to keep coming back, bearing in mind he did get two five-wicket hauls and didn't get much support."
Posted 07 Jan 2005

donot expact any thing from pakistani team jab tak imran jesa captin nahi millega hamara yehi haal hna hai
Posted 07 Jan 2005

yaar wese imran khan is right...2nd and 3rd match zaruri tha...injury le kar beth gaya...he is not a child...you have to fight to rechieve something
Posted 08 Jan 2005

THE MAFIA UNDERWORLD HAS BEEN RULING OUR CRICKET BOARD FOR AT LEAST LAST TEN YEARS WHICH IS NOT GOOD FOR THE PAKISTANI MANAGMENT, PLAYERS AND SADLY THE FANS.

I BELIVE IF AZHAR MEHMOOD WAS PLAYING REGUARLY FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS HE COULD BE OUR CAPTAIN.

HE GOOD PLAYER SINCE OUR CURROPT MANAGEMENT AVOID GOOD PLAYER AND LEAVE THEM OUT?

Posted 09 Jan 2005

Bazigaar says
no sachi...like gabbar singh
Posted 24 Jan 2005

ONLYARBAB says
ya bazi
Posted 28 Jan 2005

Xtreme says
Azhar mama is seen walking off the pitch as soon as a spinner comes on , how can he be a captain. He shouldnt be in the team to start with and so do razzaq atleast for Test .
Posted 29 Jan 2005

Reply to Topic