results in almost immediate changes

638 views 1 replies
Reply to Topic
Labi1995

Total Posts: 0

Perhaps the biggest take-home message from this paper is that if you want to get a handle on what more natural running feels like, simply take off you shoes and try running barefoot. Barefoot and minimalist runners often say that the best way to work on gait change, should that be your goal, is to start by running barefoot, and once you learn the barefoot stride it will be retained when you Nike Air Max 2017 Mujer start running in shoes. I tend to agree with this given my own experience, though I did most of my form work in the Vibram Fivefingers. I can now run quite comfortably in 4-6mm lift shoes with a midfoot stride, but it was a long Adidas ZX Flux Dames process to get to that point, and reprogramming stride can take quite a long time.All in all, this was a cool little study with a simple hypothesis and fairly straightforward results. Like other studies have, it demonstrates that barefoot running is different than running in shoes, and that impact parameters change when shoes are removed. Does it mean we should all be running barefoot all the time? Of course not! That might work for some, but it’s impractical for others, including me when dealing with 3+ months of ice covered sidewalks and roads as I have this winter. I personally am not a regular barefoot Nike Air Max 90 Womens runner, but have done so on a few occasions (up to 2 miles on asphalt) and can attest that it is very different than running in shoes. We still have a lot to learn, but it’s good to see scientists addressing these questions, and Nike Air Max 270 Femme this paper was a nice contribution.As is typical of just about any scientific paper, I’m left with more questions than answers after reading this one, but such is the nature of research. Among the things I’d like to know: What would have happened Nike Air Max 95 Mujer if the runners ran in a typical shoe with a 12mm heel lift? Would this have differed than the 4mm drop shoes?Extending the previous thought, I’d like to see shoes of varying heel lift tested so as to see if there is a threshold below which gait does change in a heel striking runner. Do you have to go all the way to barefoot? Other studies have shown that shoes like the Vibram Fivefingers do a reasonable job of simulating barefoot mechanics (Squadrone and Gallozzi, 2009), so it would be interesting to see at what point we lose that similarity as we modify midsole properties.How would the results javierrodriguez.es of this study vary if habitual minimalist/barefoot runners were tested? As discussed above, how does acclimation affect the results? All too often studies like this are done by exposing heel striking runners a novel condition (low drop Nike Air Max Classic BW Dam shoe, barefoot) and asking them to run without acclimating to the novel condition. The results of this study show that running barefoot results in almost immediate changes, but even the barefoot runners in this study produced an impact peak, which is typically not the case for habitual barefoot runners such as those examined by Lieberman et al., 2010. Clearly a motor learning process must be involved, and this needs to be studied in more detail.What the study is missing is what happens after short term acclimation. For example, if I spend two weeks running barefoot and then go shod, what happens?Nike Air Vapormax Donne I can tell you what happens with me (and obviously I am not representative of any number of runners), I revert back to a heel strike. Even if I put on a pair of Vibrams, I still heel strike once the foot is covered, regardless of the drop. Nike Air Max 95 Femme Admittedly, I am slow on the uptake, but this does support the notion (which you have put forth many times over) that gait change is not a short term proposition, but something that requires time and focus. On the other hand, terrain may also factor into what happens. Taking the example of the Vibrams again, if I wear Vibrams on a trail, I am more apt to run with a barefoot stride/gait, than my typical heel triking gait.They were my introduction to forefoot running, and I adapted pretty quickly. I run almost exclusively in them. I just picked up the Minimus last week, and I can’t seem to find my Adidas Superstar Donne forefoot in them. I did 7+ miles in them on Monday night and was so frustrated with the experience that when I got home I put on the Bikilas just to finish the night with that “one good mile” feeling. The transition was surprisingly Nike Air Max 95 Femme> difficult. The Bikilas were as awkward as they had been the first time I wore them, and my feet felt incredibly tender. I had to really focus on my form for a quarter mile or so before I could really get into the run.
Posted 11 Jun 2019

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention.

Click Here?
Sketchfab.com?
Website

Posted 11 Jun 2019

Reply to Topic