Bismillah it: The Halal Meat Dilemma

3268 views 78 replies
Reply to Topic
2HOT4U

Total Posts: 4298

I'm not one to shy away from controversial issues. In fact, I love them. What I'm about to write about is arguably the most controversial topic in the history of our Muslim community. Well what is it? It's quite simple:

Our Muslim community is divided on the meat issue as you'll see in a moment. First let's envision a scenario of myself in Burger King with an old friend.

"Wow man... the B.K. Big Fish is huge man" I said.
"Yes it's quite the catch" my friend replied.
"Arright let's get that then..." *I turn towards the cashier* "I'll have two Fish Sandwiches and-"
"Hey! Who said I wanted fish!"
"Well... we-"
"I want a Whopper! A WHOPPER!"
"But they aren't even cut properly... it's not Halal"
"It will be when I say Bismillah before I eat it."
"That makes it Halal?"
"Dude you're so dumb. Anything is Halal if you say Bismillah."

I shot him a disgusted look and proceeded to shake my head throughout the entire meal as he scarfed down the Whopper. You see, as Muslims, we are to eat meat that was cut properly (Zabiha...cut across the animal's jugular vein so it is bled properly). Most meat available in any restaurant is usually not cut across the jugular vein and thus not Halal but some people think otherwise. Some people think that if you say BISMILLAH, the meat magically becomes Zabiha and tolerable. People need to realize that magic is haram and you can't halalify a chicken once its on your plate on a bun.

Basically the logic is: anything makrooh (disliked, in this case meat that isn't cut properly) can be turned halal (lawful) if the magic words are said.

I decided to use this Bismillah logic with other things:

And next.

See the retardation?

I know, I know. Some of you are gonna start saying "BUH HAMZAH... WE CAN EAT ANY MEAT FROM THE PEOPLE OF THE BOOK!!! THAT MEANS ANYTHING BECAUSE THIS IS A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY!!!!"

People of the Book = Jews, Christians, Muslims. Sounds great on paper but I checked out some of the Slaughterhouses and this is what I saw:

He even said that too.

Addtionally, this whole meat issue just causes havoc anywhere. Evil and greedy corporations essentially just genetically modify innocent chickens all over the world to fill their large pockets with green.

What's worse... genetically modified chicken in a KFC bucket or Arabs in a KFC bucket?

I think people need to realize that if there is no Halal option available, it doesn't hurt to become a vegetarian for a little while. Well, it only hurts if the veggie-burger or soy-chicken you're eating is filled with sharp razor blades or flesh-eating bacteria but I think that is rare. It's only happened to me once. Anyway eating leaves can't be that harmful. If the Zabiha diet is going tough then just remember: Fish-Filet is your best friend.

I hope you learned a spine-tingling lesson in all this.

-Hamzah Moin

[[actual article: http://maniacmuslim.com/bismillah.html]]

so what's your take on the issue? i admit it, i used to eat the chicken burgers etc etc but i'm glad to say i've been haram free for the past three months :) yes and proud of it :p
Posted 01 May 2005

^manie^ says

everyones been there done itandnowthey want everyone else toquit......ha ha
Posted 01 May 2005

Cute_gal says
i stopped eatin haram food almost 4 yrs bak..... but seriously it sux...
Posted 01 May 2005

DejaVu077 says
Very nice article 2hot4u .

When i came here i faced the same problem but it was easy for me to handle it cuz i hav a family here and everyone use zabiha meat in my family.I think most of the people who use that Bismillah logic are usually not aware of what islam really says abt it.Also some people use it cuz its cheper than Zabiha.Also there r some muslim scholars who said that it is ok to use non zabiha meat and say BISMILLAH before using it and some says its ok to use non zabiha if u r travelling.What i men to say is that there r several different reasons for ppl using non zabiha but i think these r just excuses to use nonzabiha meat and there is no islamic law permitting use of it unless u r starving to death without it.
And it says in the article it doesn't hurt to become a vegetarian for a little while and If the Zabiha diet is going tough then just remember: Fish-Filet is your best friend.
ALHAMDULILLAH I hav never use non zabiha meat.It was very tempting in the begining but now it didn't bother me at all.   
Posted 01 May 2005

Ashii says

hmmm,, last time i think 2 yrs ago

""think people need to realize that if there is no Halal option available, it doesn't hurt to become a vegetarian for a little while""
AGREE

ehem,, ppl think saying Bismillah makes haram meat halal,,, ahannn... y dont they try eating porc,, im sure they can make it halal too

just a question --> "meat that was cut properly (Zabiha...cut across the animal's jugular vein so it is bled properly)"
saying Bismillah or Allahu Akbar is a must or just an option ?? i read somewhere that 'Khuda ka naam lena chaiye'
where the option of "WE CAN EAT ANY MEAT FROM THE PEOPLE OF THE BOOK!!!"
in this case we can eat (jewish) kosher meat bcoz they do zabiha and name GOD,, but obviously not christain's coz they dont (or no more) follow this method

can someone plz answer me,, coz i realyy realy wanna change my muslim boucher,, who s not vv clean and meat tastes like plastic
Posted 01 May 2005

Ashii says
hey one more thing,,,,,,,
geneticaly modified chickens,,,,,,,,, erghhhhhhhh
almost all muslim bouchers use these chickens,,

to kya karein
Posted 01 May 2005

DejaVu077 says
SALL said:

just a question --> "meat that was cut properly (Zabiha...cut across the animal's jugular vein so it is bled properly)"
saying Bismillah or Allahu Akbar is a must or just an option ?? i read somewhere that 'Khuda ka naam lena chaiye'
where the option of "WE CAN EAT ANY MEAT FROM THE PEOPLE OF THE BOOK!!!"
in this case we can eat (jewish) kosher meat bcoz they do zabiha and name GOD,, but obviously not christain's coz they dont (or no more) follow this method

can someone plz answer me,, coz i realyy realy wanna change my muslim boucher,, who s not vv clean and meat tastes like plastic

As afr as i know ALLAH ka naam laina chahiye at the time animal is slaughtered.Since we r muslims thats why we say BISMILLAH ALLAHU AKBER but the since jews also says ALLAH's name at the time of slaughtering animals,kosher meat is also permitted in Islam though the meat processed by a muslim is still preferable.
If u can find some other muslim butcher that wud be gr8 but otherwise i think its ok to use kosher meat.
WALLAH UL ELM
Posted 01 May 2005

DejaVu077 says
SALL said:

hey one more thing,,,,,,,
geneticaly modified chickens,,,,,,,,, erghhhhhhhh
almost all muslim bouchers use these chickens,,

to kya karein

Whats the issue abt the genetically modified chickens?
Everything we use here is genetically modified.Fruits and vegetables r genetically modified too. I don't think genetic modification is prohibited.Thats just a way to improve the quality and quantity of meat and doesn't harm the animals in any way.

But the thing that is prohibited is forced feeding.Thats cruelty and definitely prohibited in Islam.
WALLAH UL ELM
Posted 01 May 2005

Ashii says
ehem,,, iss area mei muslims bouchers bassss... ab kya kahein,,
hmmm it means kosher theek hota hai

nah,, not everything is genetically modified
use bio products
btw,, it doesnt improve quality,, only quantity

""But the thing that is prohibited is forced feeding. Thats cruelty and definitely prohibited in Islam""
matlab ??
Posted 02 May 2005

Bazigaar says
i don;t mind, i eat chicken and beef anywhere..doesn;t matter as long as it;s not pork..simple as dat...
Posted 03 May 2005

DejaVu077 says
SALL said:

ehem,,, iss area mei muslims bouchers bassss... ab kya kahein,,
hmmm it means kosher theek hota hai

nah,, not everything is genetically modified
use bio products
btw,, it doesnt improve quality,, only quantity

""But the thing that is prohibited is forced feeding. Thats cruelty and definitely prohibited in Islam""
matlab ??

In previous few months forced feeding have been a big controversy here.What some restaurants and farm owners do, They put a cylinderical thing with both ends open and one end has a long tube attached to it (couldn't recall the exact word for it right now) in the mouths of chickens and ducks so that the tube goes dirctly to the stomach of the animals and then feed them large amounts of food ( sometimes 1-2lbs ) at one time thru those tubes.That cause them to gain wait rapidly and hav some sort of effect on the meat too.Also in case of ducks this method make their livers to enlarge ( called fatty liver ) and and then make diff dishes from their liver which r very famous and some restaurants only specializes in those dishes. They show a documentry abt it on 60 mins.
This is definitely a cruelty and prohibited in Islam cuz islam also protects the rights of animals.
I even heard that KFC also uses that method in their Chicken farms and when i went to pak i even heard that issue their though not sure how much it is correct. DejaVu07738475.5462268519
Posted 03 May 2005

i have just two generally questions:

what is written in quran about this issue?
and do u really know, how burger king kfc and others cut there meat? (i think, ur beloved jugular vein is cut there, too)
Posted 03 May 2005

DejaVu077 says
Its not just abt cutting the Juglar vein,its abt say the ALLAH SWT name while slaughtering the animal.Also when slaughtering the animal his head shud not be decapacitated completely but shud be cut enough to cut the juglar vein.Here all the meat is cut elctronically and ALLAH SWT name is not said while slaughtering plus the head of the animal is cut completely and seperated from the body right away.

What Quran Sharif says abt........I don't have the reference available thats why i m not quoting it.If I found it i will post it here.
Posted 03 May 2005

^manie^ says
A mind all logic is like a knife all blade.
It makes the hand bleed that uses it.

actaully idun eat haram stuff....but it dont bother me as well...no pork...only vodka
Posted 04 May 2005

SohniKuddi says
^manie^ said:

actaully idun eat haram stuff....but it dont bother me as well...no pork...only vodka

U TEND TO SAY:

QUITE A LOT DON'T U?
Posted 04 May 2005

Bazigaar says
oye no drama bazi...kaho piyo aish karo
Posted 04 May 2005

Ashii says
hey waise aik baat

haram cheez haram hoti hai
woh sab log jo drink karte hein pork kyun nahi khate
iss mei aisi kya burai hai,,
Posted 09 May 2005

Bazigaar says
SALL said:

hey waise aik baat

cuz pork khanay ko mera dil nahi kerta..mae gosht (meat) bhi nahi khata only white meat here...
Posted 10 May 2005

DejaVu077 says
SALL said:

hey waise aik baat

Yeah u r right haram is haram.

But we just try find the logic for what we like
intead of following what Quran and Hadith says.
Posted 10 May 2005

Bazigaar said:

itna bi na aish karo.

oh by the way, good topic
Posted 10 May 2005

Bazigaar says
Bush_Blasta said:

Bazigaar said:

itna bi na aish karo.

oh by the way, good topic

bhai char din ke zindagi hae..phir sab khalaas
Posted 10 May 2005

sirf pork nahi haraam...
Posted 10 May 2005

DejaVu077 says
what u mean
Posted 10 May 2005

porc ke elawa bhi haraam hai
Posted 10 May 2005

DejaVu077 says
Offcourse there r many other haram things too.But this topic is about Zabiha and non zabiha meat
Posted 10 May 2005

Ashii says
Bazigaar said:

SALL said:

hey waise aik baat

cuz pork khanay ko mera dil nahi kerta..mae gosht (meat) bhi nahi khata only white meat here...

yani k halal haram be-maani hein
baat sirf dil ki hai..

khair,, it was a simple question,,
u ve rite to do wotever u want
Posted 10 May 2005

Ashii says
DejaVu077 said:

Yeah u r right haram is haram.

But we just try find the logic for what we like
intead of following what Quran and Hadith says.

hmm,,,
mera bhi yehi khyal
Posted 10 May 2005

haram is not always haram. what are u talking, yaar. even its allowed to neglect kalima if somebody is under pressure. all the things are written in quran. kabhi ghaur bhi kar lena chahiye.

these are the references about ur "haram is haram -theory":
Al-Quran:
2:174
5:4
6:146
16:116

so think about it. aur phir koi fatwa dena. jidher dekho chotte chotte, pidde pidde mufti baithe hue hain. hahaha   
Posted 12 May 2005

Ashii says

DL kya naaaaaaaa..
i asked a question,,, that if we can drink (koi majboori k bager) then y we cant eat pork

jo answer mila uss k hisab se 'fatwa' de diya
khekehkehehehee...
pide pide mufti
hahahahahhaaa.....
Posted 12 May 2005

DejaVu077 says
Posted 13 May 2005

Bazigaar says
SALL said:

Bazigaar said:

SALL said:

hey waise aik baat

yani k halal haram be-maani hein
baat sirf dil ki hai..

khair,, it was a simple question,,
u ve rite to do wotever u want

..well..alcohal..was at one time allowed in islam..in begining
Posted 13 May 2005

Reply to Topic