Security barriers effective in deterring intrusions

321 views 0 replies
Reply to Topic
nana1004

Total Posts: 0

We thank Mr Andrew Seow Chwee Guan and Mr Chan Whye Shiung for their feedback (Security barriers deter only certain groups; and Floating barriers off Pasir Ris an eyesore, both on Feb 4).
Singapore has an open coastline and is vulnerable to security threats coming from the maritime domain, such as intrusions by terrorists, illegal immigrants or other hostile actors.

The Police Coast Guard (PCG) adopts a multi-pronged approach to protect Singapore's coastline, which includes surveillance, patrolling and putting preventive measures in place to deter illegal intrusions and landings.
Floating sea barriers in the water and fences along the coast are examples of such preventive measures.

There have been cases where the floating sea barriers and fences successfully prevented unauthorised vessels or persons from further entering Singapore, allowing PCG officers to intercept and apprehend them.

In setting up the floating sea barriers or fences, a diverse set of requirements are taken into consideration, such as the suitability of the terrain, navigational safety, environmental protection and space required for water recreational activities. PCG also consults relevant agencies beforehand, such as the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore and the National Parks Board, as well as land stakeholders such as the owners and management of buildings and facilities on the shore fronts.

The terrorism threat to Singapore remains high, and it is important that these measures are taken to protect our country. ??????

The PCG will continue working with all stakeholders to address any feedback and concerns, without compromising the maritime security of Singapore.

I believe many parents are appreciative of the efforts put in by the Ministry of Education (MOE) and schools (Coronavirus: Ong: No need to suspend school with enhanced measures, Feb 8).

However, I'm sure there are also those who do not feel the measures are adequate in the wake of local transmission of the coronavirus.

While mass assemblies and external activities are cancelled, children are still sitting in close contact with one another in classrooms that are sometimes filled with up to 40 students.

Children are still travelling in school buses packed to maximum capacity, or taking public transport with crowds during peak hours.

Indeed, the best form of protection against any contagious illness is teaching children good hygiene practices.
But children are not as mindful as adults. Both my children in primary school often come home telling me certain classmates coughed into their faces, or that they saw their classmates biting their fingernails or rubbing their eyes.

This is despite constant reminders by their teachers to avoid such unhygienic behaviours.

Posted 24 Feb 2020

Reply to Topic