PPP survives censors

1495 views 18 replies
Reply to Topic
MR NICE

Total Posts: 1124

Mubasher Lucman has heaved a big sigh of relief. His much-awaited, long-in-the-making film, Pehla Pehla Pyar is finally on its way to the theatres after being given a clean go-ahead by the Pakistan Film Censor Board.

A relieved Lucman told The Nation Plus, Thursday, that Pehla… had been passed "without any cuts!"

Though certain sections of the media were expecting some objections, especially to this seductive number picturised on Zara Sheikh and Ali Tabish, according to Lucman, "There isn't anything objectionable in the film.
"A committee of 7 people watched my film, and they were all praise."

Obviously flattered, Lucman revealed that the Ministry of Culture had even floated the idea of hosting a special show of the film for the federal ministers.
It may be mentioned here that Pehla… is the ad-man-turned-film-maker's first celluloid venture. Penned by veteran journalist and scriptwriter, Ali Sufiyan Afaqi, the film boasts Resham and Ali Tabish's fresh pairing, along with Nadeem, Zara Sheikh, Khushboo and Wasif. The film also uses an army of Indian singers and Bollywood technicians (including choreographer Jojo).

The film was slated to be released alongside Reema's Koi Tujh Sa Kahan - that is, on August 12 - but just a couple of days before its premiere, Lucman announced that he had pushed back the exhibit.

"I got ill while I was in Thailand getting my prints, so I couldn't submit the required documents with the Censor Board office on time."

Today, however, Lucman believes that whatever happened "happened for good!

"Our film's delay gave Reema a clean run at the ticket windows," he said, adding that Pehla… would also have the same advantage since there aren't any films due before Eid.
Lucman didn't give the new release date, saying that it was a matter he was going to discuss very soon with his distributors.

In reply to another query, Lucman said that he had planned two premieres, "One in Karachi and the other in Lahore."

Posted 26 Aug 2005

Reply to Topic