Palestinian hospitals fill up as Israel loosens COVID-19 restrictions

81 views 0 replies
Reply to Topic
ritcha

Total Posts: 0

Palestinian hospitals are overfull and intensive-care units operating at 100% capacity with coronavirus patients in some areas of the Israeli-occupied West Bank, Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh said on Tuesday.
Palestinian cities have introduced full lockdowns over the last two weeks to control soaring COVID-19 infections, even as neighbouring Israel has begun to lift restrictions as it proceeds with one of the world's fastest vaccination campaigns.

"The percentage of hospital occupancy in some areas has reached more than 100%,” Shtayyeh said in Ramallah, one of the West Bank cities where his Palestinian Authority (PA) exercises limited self-rule.
"The number of casualties is increasing and the number of deaths is increasing on a daily basis, forcing us to take strict, direct and unprecedented measures."
The West Bank and Gaza, home to a combined 5.2 million Palestinians, have received around 34,700 vaccine doses to date. These came from small donations by Israel and Russia as well as 20,000 sent by the United Arab Emirates to Gaza.

Meanwhile in Israel, restaurants reopened on Sunday as the country kept up a fast pace of mass vaccinations.
"I brought millions of doses, now I'll have to bring tens of millions of doses. I am currently in talks with Pfizer and Moderna to bring more," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Israel Army Radio, campaigning ahead of a March 23 election.
Israel has given 53% of its 9 million population at least one dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, according to Health Ministry data, and 38% have received both doses.
The contrast has not gone unnoticed among Palestinians.
On Monday, Israel extended its vaccination programme to include Palestinian labourers who work in Israel and in its West Bank settlements.
Many Palestinians argue that Israel is neglecting its obligations as an occupying power by not including them in the mass roll-out.

See also: ?????joker

Posted 10 Mar 2021

Reply to Topic