A New ‘Britney’ Documentary Is Coming To BBC

272 views 0 replies
Reply to Topic
miniming

Total Posts: 0

A New ‘Britney’ Documentary Is Coming To BBC

The Britney Spears story is being told through yet another lens. The BBC is working on its own project about the pop star and the drama surrounding the conservatorship controlled by her father Jamie. The documentary is tentatively titled Britney and is helmed by BAFTA-winning journalist Mobeen Azhar, who traveled to Spears’s home state of Louisiana and current residence of California to connect with the star’s raid fanbase. 

In a statement Azhar said, “I went to LA in search of the truth of how Britney Spears, one of the biggest pop stars on the planet, ended up in a conservatorship. I found myself in a world of lawyers, superfans and paparazzi and spent time with many of the people who’ve had a front row seat in Britney’s life. This film taps into the energy of the #FreeBritney movement and questions the industry, fandom, and the laws that facilitate conservatorships.”

Spears was the subject of another documentary earlier this year. Framing Britney Spears, produced by The New York Times and FX, took a granular look at the conservatorship which has governed the former teen sensation’s life since 2008 after she battled a series of personal issues. Under the legal agreement, Spears’s father in tandem with the Bessemer Trust acts as co-conservators of her $60 million estate. This has led to an outcry from her fans which spawned the #FreeBritney movement, advocating for the 39-year-old to be able to take control of her life and finances. The doc also explored the misogynistic and overly sexualized nature of the media coverage surrounding Spears at the height of her fame in the late 90s and early 2000s. 

Read More : pg

Posted 18 Mar 2021

Reply to Topic