Thyroid lobectomy and flight

1028 views 2 replies
Reply to Topic
GroovEye

Total Posts: 188

Hello everyone
I've been lurking on the forum for a while as I was diagnosed with a tumour on my thyroid in November. I got a lobectomy Tuesday morning and still sore from the whole ordeal, waiting the 9th January the results from the lab whether this is malignant or not - in which case my surgeon said we would remove what remains of my thyroid.
I got surgery done on the 24th morning.
I also had flight booked (short haul, 40 min from London to paris). I asked the surgeon if it would be ok to fly and he told me "not recommended as there can be some bleeding with the pressure in flight but not forbidden as well".
 Has anyone had the experience of flying 2/3 days after surgery ? Should I risk it or is it stupid ?
Posted 06 May 2021

Inespolo says
?I was diagnosed with a tumor too.
Posted 06 May 2021

TuruCarlz says
I think it would not be appropriate to experiment after surgery, especially with such a disease. The rehabilitation time, in general, should be a week and not less. Your cocktail is right, flights are not forbidden, but if you want to risk it, you can fly. The choice is yours. To ease your worries at least a little, I can assure you that next to you will always be an air ambulance and will be able to give you first aid. Everything will be ok, even if you have problems with the wound. I think you might want to get some early information here https://www.airambulance1.com/ to make it easier for yourself the journey. Good luck.
Posted 06 May 2021

Reply to Topic