useful travel tips in Shanghai

535 views 3 replies
Reply to Topic
freeamfva

Total Posts: 0

Hey there, i have done bits of pieces about some tips for all travellers to shanghai, especially for those come at first time, hope this will help as I have seen and heard too many akward and terrible experience here, rip off, troubles etc. Any feedbacks and questions are welcome.To get more news about Shanghai scenic spots, you can visit shine news official website.
Expates are the main target for some locals cons (I mean not very much shanghainese but Chinese, they make living on it). Massages (foot, body, spa) especially when they say “nice girls”, “happy ending”, “free drinks” etc, that’s how they get your attention and explore your desire for erotic side. 300rmb can be end up 3000rmb bill, believe it or not, I heard lot. They not doing this to expats only, also sometimes Chinese too who travel from nation wide to shanghai. Beside prostitution is illegal in China, you got caught up, fines plus lawsuit.

Merchants are usually on the same side of line, if one merchant or shop owner is trying to get you in the trap, the others will usually help out and kick up the row. They work together, split the profit. Tips: say no, no, no and still no to them if you don’t like or want anything from them. Don’t worry they won’t hurt you as they will be scared too if you shout out. Hardly locals will attack expats in shanghai unless you show your disrespect to them at first place, so don’t be arrogant.

Watch out thieves. They are out there. Nanjing Road promenade, the bund, in subway, Yugarden, those places most travelers will go. If you are on your own, put your backpack in front of you, if in a group just keep eyes on each other. I am not saying safety in shanghai is bad, but you don’t want this happen and get all the panic of loosing passport, money etc. So stay alert is important. Robbery, especially armed robber is very rare here; no guns fight or shooting here.
Tip two: TRANSPORT IN SHANGHAI

Suggest using subway (tube) it makes lots easier than take cab sometimes. Subway, Metro Tube whatever you like to call, it is very easy to use and nearly 12 lines that can take you to almost everywhere in shanghai, includes over 90% of the famous visiting scenery

Interchange is available between lines; you can always find a way to interchange to the line you want to take, looking for big round sign with M in the middle on the road, that’s the metro station.

Vending machine is selling the ticket and takes coins and notes. There is also one-day pass available if you are going to use lot in one day, but only available for metro, not with other public transport. If you stay in shanghai for a while, say more than 3 month, it might be handy to get a transport card ( Jiao Tong Ka), and you can pre-charge the card and use it for metro, bus, ferry and taxi. ( I don’t recommend to use the transport card for taxi, sometimes dodge taxi driver will replace yours with their empty one, or double charge for the taxi fare. So try to give taxi cash if you could.
Tip three: SHOPPING AND BARGAIN

There are lot of shops in shanghai, pretty much got what you are looking for just need to go to the right place.Electric stuff: go to the authorized retailers to ensure the warranty and after service. Big names like Suning, Apple retailers, Gome, Yongle, Metro City has got lots computer stuff as well.

Apparels/garments: Departments are everywhere. Huai Hai Road, West Nanjing Lu ( Jingan Temple Area), People square, Lujiazui Area, Xujiahui are. Luxury brands are located the bund area (Peninsula Hotel area, West Nanjing Road by Shanghai Center, Huai Hai Road by Hongkong Plaza area, Xujiahui in Gate Plaza, Lujiazui area in IFC(international finance center)

Supermarket and premium market: Metro ( Pudong and Puxi stores, Wal-mart, Carrefour, Tesco, Sam’s Club, Cityshop etc.

Gift and souvenir: Hongqiao Pearl market, underground market of Shanghai Science and technology museum, black market by West Nanjing road and Chengdu road ( they gave out black plastic bag as the name), Yu Garden, Tianzifang on Taikang Road
Bargain Tips:

In big retail shop or department store, you can’t bargain and the price on the tag is the price for it. ( some of them you maybe able to) But always ask what deals they have, what discount they got etc. sometimes they don’t tell you and you don’t want to miss deals like buy 200 get 80 off etc.

In market, especially those underground, gift market, remember to bargain. Don’t dare to bargain, don’t dare look at the price tag or think of the price they offer to you. ( they always have a calculator in their hand, type figures of the price they want to sell to you), cut at least 70-80% off, yeah you are right, stay with me, that’s 70-80% of the price they offer to you. They go for greedy, so we make it fair.

When bargain in the market (flea market, underground market, street gift shops in tourism area) Always let them to make the offer, not you. If you say 100rmb, they said yes, and then you have to buy. If they said 100rmb, you said 20rmb, they ok with it, and then you buy. This is the difference. Trust me on this, I have taken so many friends and overseas travelers (friends family) to those market, they rip off expats like this should be done in this way. If they say no, stick to your price and they will compromise, if not just go. After 3 seconds, they will ask you back and make the sale. Those people usually look like: awkward English ask you to” have look, cheap”, focus on their calculator, counter offer with your offer, and always say it is very “cheap” already, no they are cheaters, so no mercy.

Posted 15 Mar 2022

Thanks for sharing travel tips in Shanghai with us. I was searching for the USPS guide online and while searching for it online, I found your post. I am visiting Shanghai this weekend and your post is helpful for me.
Posted 17 Jul 2022

jackson321 says
I genuinely believed you would probably have something useful to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you can fix if you were not too busy looking for attention. After all, I know it was my choice to read.. Pinoy Flix
Posted 11 Sep 2022

Lasatin says
We all enjoy traveling, I'm sure, but not everyone is aware that you can do it on your own by buying travel plans that you can use for solo or group excursions. I advise you to go to https://wegotrip.com/en/edinburgh-d10/ to purchase self-guided walking tours of Edinburgh on this particular occasion. You will no doubt be able to find an exciting daytime adventure in this sizable city that will allow you to unwind and have a great time.
Posted 01 Feb 2023

Reply to Topic