Zibahkhana hits Cinemas in Pakistan

3292 views 28 replies
Reply to Topic
MR NICE

Total Posts: 1124

Good news for horror movie buffs and aspiring filmmakers. Zibahkhana, the first modern, desi gore flick to have been viewed in almost 20 international film festivals and produced on an extremely tight budget, is finally hitting theatres in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad! After quite a long wait and almost a hundred thousand hits on its You Tube trailer by ardent fans, the film will have its premiere in Karachi at the Universe Cineplex tonight. Later, it will open at Cinepax Rawalpindi on December 21 and around the same time in Lahore as well.

Zibahkhana has had local viewing previously, but those were at small premiers at the Islamabad Club, LUMS and Karachi's Hotspot with only a word-of-mouth, likeminded crowd. Now, being screened at a theatre means the film can finally breathe publicly the way it actually hoped to.

Speaking to people from the twin cities about Zibahkhana opening at Cinepax, the response showed definite curiosity.

"My friends saw it at the Islamabad Club premiere and really liked it, so I'm kind of excited about watching it," said Saba, 19-year-old student.

Asad, a 28-year-old banker, said, "I would like to watch Zibahkhana and see what it is all about. We really should promote our new filmmakers. Because, honestly, we've laughed enough at our Punjabi moviemaking and it is time the laughing stops. If we don't support our amateur videography, what hope do we have of encouraging other independent directors and eventually improving our film industry?"

Which hits the nail right on the head. Not only does a horror Pakistani film with a cast of first-timers and a brand new director create the right kind of buzz and is good for our industry's image, but the fact that it is an independent, low-budget film and has still made it so far, managing to muster support from cinema houses and the censor board, should inspire other aspiring filmmakers to stand up and take heed.

According to a Guardian report, "Pakistani film industry, in contrast to thriving Bollywood, is in perilous health. Once it produced 120 films each year; these days that figure is closer to 40 and the growth of satellite television has further eroded its audience."

With such a baggage on one's shoulders, when a director takes it upon himself to complete a project like Zibahkhana within a specific budget, yet keeping it authentic and entertaining, it does need all the encouragement it can get. Otherwise, the effort would fizzle out in a puff of irrelevance. Only with the right kind of support, fresh, local films can keep rolling one after the other, without years of gaps in between the effort, and thus ultimately snowball into a healthy film industry.

In an article that appeared in Time magazine titled "A Horror Movie on the Doorstep of the Taliban", it was written that Zibahkhana is "78 minutes of voodoo creepiness, cannibalism, zombies -- one of them a midget -- gore, disfiguring diseases and a seriously messed up mother-son relationship. Omar Khan (the director) seems to have crammed every horror movie cliché known to Western audiences into Zibahkhana, but it's the distinctly Pakistani touches that keep the film rollicking along."

The description should raise enough curiosity for people to make the effort to view it on the big screen, considering slightly older films are being shown at cinema houses again in order to pull back the crowd.

When Instep Today got in touch with Omar Khan, he was busy checking out the film screen at Cinepax Rawalpindi, sounding thoroughly excited. The interview was picked up from there.

Instep Today: So how did it go at Cinepax?

Omar Khan: Well, most cinemas in Pakistan and all over the world are equipped for 35 mm screens. Our film was made on a miniscule budget. In order to get a 35 mm print, it would cost us more than it took to make the entire film. So we're trying alternate means of projection. We're using a high definition projector rather than a film projector. I was checking that out at Cinepax.

Instep Today: Do you feel Zibahkhana has finally come home?

Omar Khan: I am absolutely overjoyed. More than anything else that I could have hoped for was sharing it with the Pakistani public and the youth, in an environment where it was meant to be seen. I really couldn't have asked for more.

I am blown away by the support Cinepax and Arif Mohammad Baig in particular has extended to our film which has no stars, no budget or publicity campaign. By screening our film, Cinepax has shown its commitment to supporting growth of independent cinema in Pakistan and also supporting cinema that dares to tread a path slightly different to the mainstream. The prospect of having your work reach the public in a cinema is just what making films is all about.

Instep Today: How were the contentious issues with the censor board finally resolved?

Omar Khan: Well, there were all sorts of issues… regarding the format of the film, the print not being 35 mm, the archaic nature of their laws which were written back in 1979-80, and the fact that there has been a digital revolution in the meanwhile. We found ourselves putting one foot in ancient history and one foot ahead of time. But we managed to smooth out the few rough edges.

After that came the actual censorship of the film. We had to bargain over literally a few seconds here and there. I think in the end, both parties are reasonably satisfied. I don't think any compromise has been made to the quality of the film.

I would like to extend a big thank you to the chairman of the censor board who saved the day.

Instep Today: What rating has been assigned to Zibahkhana?

Omar Khan: It has been passed for General Viewing.

Instep Today: Currently, Rawalpindi Cinepax is showing films like Bourne Ultimatum, Goal, Awaarapan, and then The Bee Movie is coming soon too. What do you hope the response to Zibahkhana will be against these big guns?

Omar Khan: You know, that's what multiplexes are about. You literally show up not knowing what movie to watch and find something that might suit you. It's flattering in one way that our film is opening the same day as the Bee Movie. I believe if the youth gets to know about Zibahkhana, they would want to check it out, just as a change of air from what they are normally accustomed to.

And I'm very excited at the prospect of people seeing something that has truly been made indigenously. Even a film like Mohabbataan Sachiyaan, for example, has had a large percent made by non-Pakistanis. So here's a film that is truly, truly Pakistani. I am also very proud of the fact that it is a completely independent product which is not part of a media corporation or even Lollywood for that matter. It is something that has come out of Islamabad. If people take it in the right spirit, then I think kids are ready to identify with it and enjoy it very much. The film does have the potential to surprise everyone in a positive way.

Instep Today: Anything else?

Omar Khan: Well, getting our film on the big screen is a huge triumph over a very rigid system that doesn't encourage change. I do hope this opens the gate for independent filmmakers to follow with all sorts of films.

Posted 19 Dec 2007

MR NICE says
Great news for everyone living in Pakistan. Something worth watching over the Eid holidays.
Posted 19 Dec 2007

lollywood ka acha time a raha hai
Posted 19 Dec 2007

Hey,i was highly dissapointed when i got to know that no good pakistani film will be coming out thiz eid so i decided tht i will watch Gangster on the cineplex...
but thnx for sharing such a good news with us MR NICE!
I am very happy tht its finnaly hitting the theaters!
After Geo Films,one of thier other channels is relasing it AAG FILMS!
Well,the bit dissapoiting thing is tht it will not be able to give tht cinematic pleasure as its not on 35mm,its like a drama serial but anywayz lets see how it works!But teeneagers will enjoy it alot!!!
Posted 19 Dec 2007

Its a gr8 news but at the same time its a real shame that no single screen theater will show zibha khana its only releasing in cineplex cuz single screen cinema owners are more interested in releasing indian films inspite of the fact that almost all the indian films released so far are disasters.
Posted 20 Dec 2007

Movie stills.

Posted 20 Dec 2007

And now the filmmaker himself Omer ali khan.

You can download and watch Film's trailor at its official website i.e http://www.zibahkhana.com/
Posted 20 Dec 2007

paki lion says
not that impressive!
Posted 20 Dec 2007

Official Website: http://www.zibahkhana.com/
Posted 20 Dec 2007

paki lion said:

not that impressive!

then dont watch it and wait Gulaboo to get released with saima shaking her gaint butt and shaan with hi famous gandasaa
Posted 20 Dec 2007

MR NICE says
No offence charizmatic but Gulaboo is going to be something different as the script has been written by famous novel writer Razia Butt.

On the other habd I am surprised by you Paki Lion as what do exepct from a small budgeted film like Zibakhana. The film has gone to nearly 20 different film festivels around the world.

It has got great reviews every here. One has to give credit to Omar Ali Khan. Before this he restored the 1960s classic B&W film "Zindalaash" which was the first Pakistani horror film. The film got released on DVD internationally. Zindalaash also got great reviews considering the film was nearly 40 years old infact on one website it made to the top ten films of the year.
Posted 21 Dec 2007

MR NICE says
More on Zibakhana and its Pkistani release:

Zibahkhana has at long last released in Pakistan after much ado was made by it's director Omar Khan because the censor board was refusing to clear the film for public viewing. It wasn't surprising, because it takes a lot for mindsets to change, and Zibahkhana, being a typical slash fest couldn't be absorbed by myopic minds that aren't used to the new kind of Pakistani cinema that the filmmakers in the land of the pure want to make.

However, a whole new generation is ready for it. Zibahkhana ran to packed houses at the PACC in Karachi and also at LUMS during the FILUMS, the university's film festival in Lahore. The young and the restless gave it a standing ovation. A Pakistani film finally that speaks their language.

Featuring a bunch of jean-clad, pot smoking youngsters in a van looking for a concert, getting lost in the woods around Islamabad and getting chased by a burqa-clad serial killer, meeting the creepiest of characters along the way, Zibahkhana is not a film with any intellectual pretensions whatsoever. And that is exactly what is so refreshing about it. A spine chilling roller coaster which elicits may a chuckle and hoots along the way as people scream before heads roll, Zibahkhana is the second breath of fresh air for Pakistani cinema after Khuda Kay Liye.

Released by Aag Films, a subsidiary of the Geo Television Network on three cinemas in three cities, Cineplex in Karachi. Sozo Gold in Lahore and Cinepax in Rawalpindi, if you head out to the cinemas to see any film this should be it. After all, it does give a whole new meaning to the term qurbani ka bakra.

But what we really suggest you do this Eid is catch Zibahkhana in the theatres. There is something refreshing about this new breed of directors for whom the surprising success of Khuda Kay Liye has opened doors. Proving all the stalwarts of the film industry wrong, who historically maintained that a film without naach gana wouldn't work, Shoaib Mansoor has paved the way for a new exciting kind of cinema in Pakistan. It is a brave new frontier that is no longer seeking to emulate Bollywood. Zibahkhana is another endeavour in that direction. This is nothing like Bhoot or Darna Mana Hai or the many Indian horror films that have come out. Zibahkhana is classic camp horror in the best possible way.

And if it has anything in common with Khuda Kay Liye, it is that Zibahkhana too gives one that warmth that comes from watching something rooted in one's own world. The youngsters in Zibahkhana could be from any metropolis in Pakistan and their travels through the woods in Isloo will strike a chord with anyone who has ever been there. And for that pleasure alone this slash fest is worth a watch.

Posted 21 Dec 2007

I 100% agree with MR NICE...charizmatic Gulabo will be surely a nice effort as the film is based on a novel by Razia Butt and the producer is claiming tht its a family film so it has strong chances of being a HIT in punjab...also Gulabo is the 1st Pak Punjabi film to go to Technicolor Lab for processing.
Posted 21 Dec 2007

MR NICE said:

No offence charizmatic but Gulaboo is going to be something different as the script has been written by famous novel writer Razia Butt.

On the other habd I am surprised by you Paki Lion as what do exepct from a small budgeted film like Zibakhana. The film has gone to nearly 20 different film festivels around the world.

It has got great reviews every here. One has to give credit to Omar Ali Khan. Before this he restored the 1960s classic B&W film "Zindalaash" which was the first Pakistani horror film. The film got released on DVD internationally. Zindalaash also got great reviews considering the film was nearly 40 years old infact on one website it made to the top ten films of the year.

Buddy earlier sangeeta claimed that tarap will be a different film altogether with good budget behind her and decent star cast but she ended up making a crapp, what iam trying to say is that there is nothing wrong in razia but's novel as well as budget but there is definitely something wrong with sangeeta the way she handle the subjects shez gonna make it another crapp.
Posted 21 Dec 2007

afridi_hasnat said:

I 100% agree with MR NICE...charizmatic Gulabo will be surely a nice effort as the film is based on a novel by Razia Butt and the producer is claiming tht its a family film so it has strong chances of being a HIT in punjab...also Gulabo is the 1st Pak Punjabi film to go to Technicolor Lab for processing.

meray bhai earlier nargis also claimed that sohaa jora is a family film and last night i watched one song of soha jora in which nargis was trying to seduce mustufa qureshi and the dresses and dance steps of nargis explained every thing i wonder what these people think the family movie is
Posted 21 Dec 2007

paki lion says
charizmatic said:

paki lion said:

not that impressive!

then dont watch it and wait Gulaboo to get released with saima shaking her gaint butt and shaan with hi famous gandasaa

u know very well, that i hate such kind of movies! Do u even watn to say, that i should agree and likes every movies, wiich u think is good movie? sorry but u got ur own opinion so do I!
Posted 21 Dec 2007

cute4u says
it looks scary
Posted 21 Dec 2007

yoyo says
im not happy that they are releasing it without any promortion, and it has a very small release with only 3 cinemas
Posted 22 Dec 2007

MR NICE says
The problem with Zibakhana is that firstly its not made on 35mm film and also its mostly made in English with a bit of Urdu. Still its got shown in the 3 major cities of the country. Lets see the response.
Posted 22 Dec 2007

Bazigaar says
zibahkhana????
Posted 22 Dec 2007

charizmatic said:

Its a gr8 news but at the same time its a real shame that no single screen theater will show zibha khana its only releasing in cineplex cuz single screen cinema owners are more interested in releasing indian films inspite of the fact that almost all the indian films released so far are disasters.

Its not the cinema owners...its the filmaker itself who has decided to rls it in selected cinemas becuz the film is not on 35mm and its difficult to screen a film like this in an mainstream cinema so the director opted for small-screen cinemas like Sozo Gold,Cinepax and Cineplex so the pic quality is still better.
I will watch it later and if sumone goes to watch it plz tell us how was the pic and sound quality?
Posted 24 Dec 2007

MR NICE said:

The problem with Zibakhana is that firstly its not made on 35mm film and also its mostly made in English with a bit of Urdu. Still its got shown in the 3 major cities of the country. Lets see the response.

I dont think so MR NICE it has some english dialouges even,its made in Urdu.Even the movie is subtitled in English for those who dosent understand Urdu.
Posted 24 Dec 2007

The biggest negative point of the film is tht its not on 35mm so it will not be able to give that cinematic experience which films have!
But still lets see its good that new filmakers are coming,There should be financers who can finance these kind of filmakers.
Well the promotion of the film is not that good,Geo and AAG are not running the promos of the film frequently.
Posted 24 Dec 2007

charizmatic said:

afridi_hasnat said:

meray bhai earlier nargis also claimed that sohaa jora is a family film and last night i watched one song of soha jora in which nargis was trying to seduce mustufa qureshi and the dresses and dance steps of nargis explained every thing i wonder what these people think the family movie is

Lolz..i watched tht song months bak and after watching it made a post on it also tht such a cheap film is being called a family film!
Thats Nargis and we cant expect a family film from her and with a director like Pervaiz Rana these kind of songs are part of his films!Its a shame tht public degraded a film like Mein Ek Din Laut Kay Aaaonga which had glamour but no vulgurlarity infront of Suha Jora crap.But the producer of the film Gulabo is consistently sayin tht its a family film and i am not sayin tht the film will be a blockbuster...but one thing is for sure it will be a family film.
Posted 24 Dec 2007

afridi_hasnat said:

charizmatic said:

Its not the cinema owners...its the filmaker itself who has decided to rls it in selected cinemas becuz the film is not on 35mm and its difficult to screen a film like this in an mainstream cinema so the director opted for small-screen cinemas like Sozo Gold,Cinepax and Cineplex so the pic quality is still better.
I will watch it later and if sumone goes to watch it plz tell us how was the pic and sound quality?

yar come on the movie has been shown in 20 different film festivals hows it possible that it cant be shown in main stream theaters, no filmmaker wud like to make it his movie a limited release omer ali khan wud have love to release it in all major theaters.
Posted 24 Dec 2007

charizmatic said:

afridi_hasnat said:

charizmatic said:

yar come on the movie has been shown in 20 different film festivals hows it possible that it cant be shown in main stream theaters, no filmmaker wud like to make it his movie a limited release omer ali khan wud have love to release it in all major theaters.

Film Festivals usually show movies which are not on 35mm.The film can be shown in mainstream cinemas but the experience will be very bad.All the things have to be done.Its Omar Ali Khan himself who is limiting its release to small screen cinemas.
Posted 24 Dec 2007

afridi_hasnat said:

charizmatic said:

afridi_hasnat said:

charizmatic said:

Film Festivals usually show movies which are not on 35mm.The film can be shown in mainstream cinemas but the experience will be very bad.All the things have to be done.Its Omar Ali Khan himself who is limiting its release to small screen cinemas.

ok
Posted 25 Dec 2007

valandrian says
bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499
bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499
bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499bd53499
bd53499
Posted 01 Jun 2018

Posted 24 Sep 2018

Reply to Topic