Australia struggle in India tour match 1

1303 views 6 replies
Reply to Topic
~Fragi~

Total Posts: 64603

HYDERABAD, India (AFP) — Ricky Ponting's Australia faltered with both bat and ball here on Friday as an Indian second string gave the tourists a taste of the perils that lie ahead.

The Australians, who were thrashed for 455 runs by the Indian Board President's XI, were reduced to 128-4 in reply before they ended the second day's play in the four-day tour match on 191-4.

It is the final warm-up for the tourists before the four-Test series opens in Bangalore next Thursday.

Adding to Aussie woes was the news that their number one spinner, the 36-year-old Bryce McGain, will return home due to a shoulder injury sustained last month.

A decision on McGain's replacement will be made after Australian chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch arrives here early Saturday.

The Australians struggled to contain the runs on a slow, barren pitch so typical in India as the home team's batsmen stroked freely in good batting conditions.

But when their turn came to bat, the Australian top order groped against the turning ball with young leg-spinner Piyush Chawla claiming 2-46.

Opener Matthew Hayden was caught behind off Irfan Pathan for 20, while his likely partner in the first Test, Simon Katich, was dismissed by left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha for 15.

Skipper Ponting, desperate to end his dismal run on Indian soil where he averages just 12 in eight Tests, made 41 before Chawla uprooted his middle stump with a googly.

Chawla also trapped Michael Clarke leg-before for 18, but Mike Hussey and Brad Haddin rescued the tourists by adding 63 for the fifth wicket.

At stumps, Hussey was unbeaten on 54 and Haddin was on 34.

The 19-year-old Chawla said he expected the Australians to struggle against spin in the Test series.

"They will have a problem because they will be up against Anil (Kumble) and Harbhajan (Singh), two of the best spinners in the world," said Chawla.

"But it was good to put the Australians under pressure today. I hope we can continue like this for the next two days."

The home team's first innings revolved around centuries from the promising Rohit Sharma and national under-19 captain Virat Kohli, who both scored 105.

Test discard Irfan Pathan struck a fluent 56 while adding 75 for the seventh wicket with Parthiv Patel (62) and 44 for the eighth with Chawla (23).

The hosts, who resumed on their overnight total of 371-6, added another 84 runs on the second morning.

Australia's hopes of finding a suitable spinner in place of McGain were hit as fellow debutant Jason Krejza failed to make an impression.

The 25-year-old Tasmanian off-spinner returned wicketless from 20 overs in which he conceded 123 runs.

Left-arm seamer Mitchell Johnson, who claimed 4-75, admitted these were tough conditions for the bowlers.

"We did not get as much reverse swing as we thought we would," he said. "It is quite a flat wicket and made it tough for the bowlers."

Posted 04 Oct 2008

sun_shine says
Assalam O Alaikum

*Best of Luck Team India
InshAllah...!
Posted 12 Oct 2008

Here are a couple important things to help you out throughout arranging the top sightseeing venture. Time for it to trip! Nearly all traveler desired destination features sightseeing possibilities. The idea not simply adds to the good thing about that will position,Check it out and also supplies pretty the awareness regarding the position. Counted amidst ought to do's, allow me to share 10 renowned approaches to be the top sightseeing travels.
Posted 08 Feb 2022

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. orthopadic manufacturer
Posted 26 Feb 2022

Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. sarms
Posted 27 Feb 2022

Great things you’ve always shared with us. Just keep writing this kind of posts.The time which was wasted in traveling for tuition now it can be used for studies.Thanks seraphine league of legends
Posted 05 Mar 2022

I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. smartest fortnite player
Posted 10 Mar 2022

Reply to Topic