MOHAMMED Hafeez

746 views 8 replies
Reply to Topic
Shahrukh Khan

Total Posts: 43596

I was on the field when I got to know."

"I had been captaining Sargodha for a while and remember making 130-odd in one match in front of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) staff. I thought then that I might get a call-up into the national squad. Two days later, during another game, a friend came running out of the pavilion during a drinks break to say that someone from my house had called. Apparently the PCB had called home telling them that I had been selected. So I was on the field when I first got to know.

"Mentally there was a lot of pressure because it was international cricket and playing for Pakistan was something I had always dreamed of. Going to my first national training camp was also fairly nerve-wracking but Rashid Latif, the captain, was of great help. He was very open and made me feel comfortable immediately. He advised me to go out and play exactly as I did at domestic level and not worry too much.

"I felt in control on my first day [against Zimbabwe in Sharjah, April 2002]. I still remember my first scoring shot – good-length ball from Heath Streak, I went on to the back foot and punched it through the covers for four. That's when I thought `I can do this, it's not too bad.' I got out for 12 after I got a bit careless [to Streak] but I distinctly remember thinking that international cricket might not be as difficult as everyone thinks.

"Anyway, I put that at the back of my mind and started bowling. Whenever I fail at one discipline, I am always doubly determined to make up for it in another. I got Sean Ervine out leg-before, sweeping at my drifter, and also got Andy Blignaut out bowled. We won, so all in all it was a pretty good first day."

Mohammad Hafeez has played 12 ODIs this season with a batting average of 23.16, including three fifties, and a bowling average of 22.36. He made his Test debut against Bangladesh in August

Image Insert:

9.03 KB
Posted 14 Sep 2003

~Fragi~ says
well a new promising prospect of paki team ...
Posted 14 Sep 2003

saieen says
yups.....
doing goood job at the moment...
Posted 15 Sep 2003

~Fragi~ says
per aj fail hoya :-(
Posted 15 Sep 2003

madmax says
acha player hai aghar in and out nahi hoga team si to phir
Posted 15 Sep 2003

madmax says
acha player hai aghar in and out nahi hoga team si to phir
Posted 15 Sep 2003

MAA says
I KICKED A BASKETBALL NCE...
Posted 15 Sep 2003

saieen says
roooz roooz pass huwa tu phir tu Guru hu ga na :/
Posted 16 Sep 2003

MAA says
ney oye istarha ki baat sirf drunken village de vich.
Posted 17 Sep 2003

Reply to Topic