A du’a most of us know ...***

2351 views 7 replies
Reply to Topic
sun_shine

Total Posts: 13494

Assalam O Alaikum

* A du'a most of us know - in a different light

Rabbana atayna fidunya hasana wafil akhira hasana waqina adzhab annar.

"Our Lord! Give us in this world that which is good and in the Hereafter that which is good, and save us from the torment of the Fire." (2:201)

This is the first du'a that appears in the Qur'an --Surah Bakharah (2).

Anas bin Malik ® asked the Rasool (saw) to make du'a for them and so the Prophet (s) replied with this du'a. Anas ® asked him to make another du'a and the Prophet (s) responded by saying, what more/better du'a can I make?

Meaning: that this du'a covers everything that you can think of because by making this du'a you're asking Allah (swt) to give you the best in this life and the next. This covers everything from jobs to relationships, school, knowledge, family, health, wealth, etc.

The Rasool (saw) went to visit a sick man one day and asked the man who was always sick, did you make any du'a to Allah (swt)? The man replied by saying, I made du'a that Allah (swt) punish me for all my sins in this world so that I am not punished for them in the Hereafter. And so I am sick all the time. The Rasool (s) responded by saying you should not make a du'a like this. Instead you should recite Rabina atayna...(du'a above) because that is better for you.

Meaning; we should not ask Allah (swt) to test us because we don't know if we will be able to handle what we are tested with. Rather we should ask Him for all that is good in this life and the next. And ask forgiveness and protection from the fire rather than making du'aa to be punished. Remember, Allah (swt) is the most forgiving and if we seek His forgiveness He will in sha Allah forgive -- and protect us from any punishment/trials in this life and the next.

Wsalam O Alaikum...!

Posted 18 Mar 2009

Reply to Topic