Living in a country

4239 views 38 replies
Reply to Topic
Smooth_daddy

Total Posts: 2772

If you live outside Pakistan, but you are of Pakistani origin, do you consider yourself Pakistani or a national of your country of residence?

Non-Pakistanis are welcome to participate.
Posted 09 Apr 2009

ZaM says
Alhamdulillah i consider myself Pakistani no matter, if m not in Pakistan.
Posted 09 Apr 2009

PumpKin says
u can never erase ur origin coz its ur identity. I will always be proud of my origin wherever I live, it makes u unique n different
Posted 09 Apr 2009

well, how about those who were born in a different country than the country of their parents?
Posted 09 Apr 2009

i consider myself as a pakistani even tho i am out of pakistan

oviously as i was born in england i am a british citizen which makes me 'british' but still i do consider my self as a pakistani bcoz no matter wer we go

in this world or out of this world!
we will remain pakistani!

PAKISTANIS (AND PAKISTAN) ZINDABAAD!!!!!
Posted 09 Apr 2009

*~rain_girl~* said:

oviously as i was born in england i am a british citizen which makes me 'british' but still i do consider my self as a pakistani bcoz no matter wer we go

jhootiiiiiiiii
Posted 09 Apr 2009

sun_shine says

Assalam O Alaikum

*I am an Afghan But Born in Pakistan aur Idhar hi Baray huay hain
I Think Hum Bhi utnay hi Afghan hain aur hamaray Bhi wohi Rights hain jo Kabul ya Kandahar Main rehnay walay Ik Afghan ki hain

yaa for sure i Consider Myself as an Afghan...!
Posted 09 Apr 2009

Shahrukh Khan said:

*~rain_girl~* said:

jhootiiiiiiiii

SRK!!!!!
Posted 09 Apr 2009

I was born in Holland And Raised in Pakistan.. even though u r outside pak u cant forget ur identity
Posted 09 Apr 2009

Shahrukh Khan said:

I was born in Holland And Raised in Pakistan.. even though u r outside pak u cant forget ur identity

ahem!

jhootey
Posted 09 Apr 2009

Asian says
born in the uk

never been to pakistan

but i consider myself muslim first

then pakistani
Posted 09 Apr 2009

Our roots .... "Parent" & "Their Region" are very important....

We close to our parents and then our community....

most of us ... (at least this generation's either they born in pakistan or outside the country.... but their parents were born or at least have strong connections with their root country (Indian & Pakistani) especially.

and i guess your look/ style belongs to ur roots.

on these grounds...

i'm Pakistani .... chk out my "Location"   
Posted 10 Apr 2009

great answers!
...but I have a confusion...

people who were born in India migrated to Pakistan. Their children were born in Pakistan....They were proud Pakistanis....then these children migrated to a western country and became citizens of that contry....they then had children (from parents who were both born in Pakistan). What is the idntity of these kids? They should be proud of which heritage?

- Brit/Dutch/American
- Pakistanis
- Indian
Posted 10 Apr 2009

its very simple as i've described before. (truly for me).

it depends on the roots (his parents) & Community ...

if their tendency is more likely to pakistan ... then answer should be... Pakistan otherwise "India".

or might be "british" ... depends on "Roots"
Posted 10 Apr 2009

good topic sd
Posted 10 Apr 2009

SFA, thanks
share your views please
Posted 10 Apr 2009

WARMTH OF LOVE said:

its very simple as i've described before. (truly for me).

it depends on the roots (his parents) & Community ...

if their tendency is more likely to pakistan ... then answer should be... Pakistan otherwise "India".

or might be "british" ... depends on "Roots"

Sure, its simple but then there are other complexities that factor in...

Natives of our adotpted countries have started to wonder who our loyalties are with? If the immigrants of eastern countries are unloyal or partially loyal to these countries, then why they should be allowed to become citizens of US/EU etc and why kids of these immigrants be given citizenship of the country of birth?
Posted 10 Apr 2009

sd brother, if u are talking abt the nationality to aborad i.e. EU / US .... it jus give them right to live in those countries...

most of the new generation are very true to consider their "country of birth" as their own country... and its as true as u belong to India or pakistan.

but as i think .... ur affiliation belongs to those where u've strong connections such as family and community u live with...
Posted 11 Apr 2009

Ashii says
Hi everybody

glad to see that we still have "good topics" here hello SD

I was born in Pak, but Ive spend more than half of my life in France. Im still confused abt "what I am and what my children will be"

I agree to WOL that roots are very important. one cant and should not deny its origins but even if I love Pakistan a lot it wont be easy for me to live there for more than a month
and SD,, wot do u call heritage ?
I love Paki handicrafts, our language music love wearing shalwar kameez and khussa
I prefer a simple tandoori roti than a chef's cuisine
but then wot ?
I also love wearing jeans, enjoy speaking french and listening to french music, i love french litterature
and french cheese and bread ummmmmmm

may be by heritage you mean customs and social values
well,, there are a lot of good and bad things in Pakistani and french societies
pakistani people are nice and very loving specialy with NRPs ;) but i feel more secure while being with frenchies heheehee..

Im proud of my origins
but Im also proud of any good thing that happens anywhere on this earth and im also ashamed of all evils present here
bcoz im part of this world
ki kariye
Posted 11 Apr 2009

Smooth_daddy said:

If you live outside Pakistan, but you are of Pakistani origin, do you consider yourself Pakistani or a national of your country of residence?

Non-Pakistanis are welcome to participate.

Well SD i spent a lot of time outside pakistan. But I always be proud of being Pakistani
Posted 11 Apr 2009

hmm aub meri bari ok ..sub k sub patriots i lilke that .i am living in america frm last ten years n i love america n its my country is nay mujy sub khuch diya good education ,ek zabardast c life ,acchi job everything jo mai nay chaha GOD BLESS AMERICA
N NODOUBT AM A PAKISTANI N more then this am ntt CONFUSE .i know mujy dono cheezon ko kiss thran balance karna hai dono cheezain mean mera background kiya hai n aur mai jahan rah raha hoon this is the important thing
i found different type of desi of different age groups and different backgrounds will discuss later.

WHEN I WZ IN UNIVERSITY I MADE A UNION OF PAKI STUDENTS .abbhi bhi i try my best muj say jo bhi ho sakta hai mai kartaa hoon pak k liya

Posted 11 Apr 2009

Ashii said:

Hi everybody

glad to see that we still have "good topics" here hello SD

I was born in Pak, but Ive spend more than half of my life in France. Im still confused abt "what I am and what my children will be"

I agree to WOL that roots are very important. one cant and should not deny its origins but even if I love Pakistan a lot it wont be easy for me to live there for more than a month
and SD,, wot do u call heritage ?
I love Paki handicrafts, our language music love wearing shalwar kameez and khussa
I prefer a simple tandoori roti than a chef's cuisine
but then wot ?
I also love wearing jeans, enjoy speaking french and listening to french music, i love french litterature
and french cheese and bread ummmmmmm

may be by heritage you mean customs and social values
well,, there are a lot of good and bad things in Paki and french societies
paki people are nice and very loving specialy with NRPs ;) but i feel more secure while being with frenchies heheehee..

Im proud of my origins
but Im also proud of any good thing that happens anywhere on this earth and im also ashamed of all evils present here
bcoz im part of this world
ki kariye

Ashii, thanx for responding to the topic.
it's been a while since we debated on a topic.

By heritage I mean whatever background people may have. people of eastern background living in the west have an eastern heritage of language, religion, culture, customs, history, specialties, food & delicacies, clothings, celebrations, mannerisms, and...
Posted 13 Apr 2009

shaista says

I agree with Ashii.
came to Holland when i was 4. But that doesn't make me Dutch. Still feel that i am Pakistani. But i have picked up the best things from both cultures. We all love Pakistan, lekin is baat se bhi ittefaak kareinge ke kuch humari culture (ya phir culture ka hissa bana di gayi hain) aisi baatein hain jo humain achi nahin lagti. So picked the best from both.
But only a passport doesn't make u Dutch, Pakistani, Britisch, French or whatever. It's the feeling u have and the connection with that country.

Posted 13 Apr 2009

WARMTH OF LOVE said:

sd brother, if u are talking abt the nationality to aborad i.e. EU / US .... it jus give them right to live in those countries...

most of the new generation are very true to consider their "country of birth" as their own country... and its as true as u belong to India or pakistan.

but as i think .... ur affiliation belongs to those where u've strong connections such as family and community u live with...

I respect your view point but let's see from a different angle....Immigrants from all over the world made up America and made it a strong country...immigrants from everywhere are proud of it and they have taken it as their country...SFA cited his own story above...European and Russian immigrants to US tried to impose their culture and customs on their kids and grand kids but eventually they lost the battle...those early immigrants were no less proud of their heritage than us Pakistanis...but their children went for American culture....they talk of their background and things they do in their own cultural way at homes when it comes to religous practices and such; but they are Americans when it comes to the country. Their loyalty is for US. Is that what the children of Pakistani parents born in US or EU should go about doing as well?
Posted 13 Apr 2009

I presume we are talking about same thing... heritage is what you brought from old generation and as far as our link is strong to our traditions we will be loyal to our heritage and the present state.
It’s very simple to me ... if I am living in the UK I will support this country but when someone will talk about “Pakistan”. I’ll take side of my “home country. My roots are still active and strong enough to consider me the resident of the UK.
Loyalty to the UK/US or EU can’t change our loyalty towards “PAKISTAN” untill we will be connected to our heritage and traditions.
Being a Muslim (our main identity), we should follow and adopt good things either we got from “abroad” or “Pakistan”.   
Posted 14 Apr 2009

WOL, your point is well taken. The issue is with kids born in the west...yes they have connection with their parents' or grand parents' country and culture but this connection is not as strong as that of their parents. Plus they have a strong sense of ownership and belonging to the country of their birth. This dual loyalty comes under tough testing when the two countries are at odds with each other, especially in war like situation...who would you side with in these circumstances?

Let alone war, in international sports, when these two countries are competing, would you favor the country of your parent's origin or the country of your birth?

Now if we say the country of your parent's origin should take preference because of the heritage then the children born in Pakistan with their parents roots in India should be loyal to India? And if we say one should be loyal to the country of their birth, than the children born in US/EU of Pakistani parents should be loyal to US/EU? and by the same token, people who were born in India but migrated to Pakistan should continue to have loyalty toward India?

Posted 14 Apr 2009

the place where we live makes a big impact on our life as well as the children. if kids living in EU/US or anywhere if they'll support their "town of birth" it will be normal.

I agree the freedom of choices ... but as a parents we've given them to these children, its same like u give ur son two Play station games and let him play with them and guide him which one is better for ur IQ and which one is better....

if we say ... as parents we decided out kids to be born in these countries and give them freedom and don't guide them properly ... they'll chose wht they feel better.

moral is ... if we don't guide our children and youth abt their traditions or let them practice their religion or give them chance to meet their relatives back home, wht else we can expect.

Loyalty is wht u like most... by choice or by inherit or mixture of both.
Posted 15 Apr 2009

WOL, i think we are on different planes here.

i am not talking of a town...we are discussing a real issue as opposed to a theoratical or philosophical discussion.

I respectfully disagree with the notion of parents coaching their kids to be loyal with the country of their heritage. That is a very selfish approach. It would be hypocritical if parents who left their own country to live a better life in the west teaching their children to love the country that they left for personal gains, but they want them to love and be loyal to that country. They should coach them in doing what is right...being disloyal to the country of birth or the country of residence is wrong and against the teachings of Islam.
Posted 15 Apr 2009

shaista said:

I agree with Ashii.
came to Holland when i was 4. But that doesn't make me Dutch. Still feel that i am Pakistani. But i have picked up the best things from both cultures. We all love Pakistan, lekin is baat se bhi ittefaak kareinge ke kuch humari culture (ya phir culture ka hissa bana di gayi hain) aisi baatein hain jo humain achi nahin lagti. So picked the best from both.
But only a passport doesn't make u Dutch, Pakistani, Britisch, French or whatever. It's the feeling u have and the connection with that country.

Aap tu dutch ho
Posted 15 Apr 2009

Ashi shalwar kameez tumne kab pehney they??/ tum tu poori french ho khana pakana seekha ya roz bahir sey ata hai??
Posted 15 Apr 2009

Loyalty to the origin is not the disloyalties to the country of our children were born. I was emphasising on the point that we should be aware of our heritage and keep the balance between and should be fair to our children that what traditions we’ve back home and why we are here. (EU/US).
I’m still learning and thankful for this philosophical discussion.
Posted 15 Apr 2009

Reply to Topic
Copyright ©2024 Janubaba.com - All Rights Reserved.- .016