MYTHBUSTER

11664 views 240 replies
Reply to Topic
ricky boy

Total Posts: 324

this is an article from this sundays edition of 'daily jang' which of course is a paki newspaper..thought u d be interested...read on, it s kinda longish

India's new breed of films: breaking taboo barriers

"There is no such thing as adult movies now. Television and Internet has changed all that," says Usha Nayyar, a social researcher at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai.

By Mohsin Jaffri

With the dawn of information age, computer-links multiplying, Internet capability reaching new heights, data bank capacity going beyond imagination and visual clips on all subjects abound; what is there that can be veiled from the eyes of whoever surfs the web of his choice. In the knowledge field, the distinction between what a young person can grasp and an adult can understand is narrowing to the extent of becoming meaningless. The impact of this new revolution is more effective in the third world and developing countries where people, in the past, were allowed only 'controlled' information and access to the highly advanced social and cultural concepts were rigidly denied. That is no more possible now. The ruling authorities in some countries, India being one, has accepted the reality and are learning to bow down to 'free media environment'.

In this revolution, the western social and cultural concepts of 'right to choose' for adults and 'sex' taken as normal activity removed all the barriers from under the traditional stronghold of 'taboo'. Also, within this concept and a new approach to free market economy, 'whatever is sellable shall be sold', women found that a 'good figure and face' has a value in market. This helped women (talented and not-so-talented) take advantage of market economy and achieve economic independence.

In India, where women were trapped in centuries old traditions and were made to follow in the footsteps of mythological 'daasi' characters, women were subdued as "born to serve". But all this is changing now. With greater access to education (educational centres, school and colleges multiplying) and more open policy allowing foreign media to enter freely in India, young generation now seem to have more confidence in discussing, tackling such issues that were taboo just a decade ago. India, much ahead in Information Technology compared to its neighbours is also far ahead in accepting the revolution and meeting it. And it takes a positive route by accepting the challenge and implementing liberal policies to create a progressive environment.

India's censor policy has also gone through a complete overhaul. What was a complete no-no some years ago has not only become acceptable but is seen in a respectful vein - and not a mere cheap thrill.

There was a time when a film like Ram Teri Ganga Maili in which an attempt was made (daring for the time) to break taboo subject of sex (explicit encounters outside marriage) but didn't succeed. It actually raised quite a hue and cry. The audience not only felt uneasy but angry too. But a decade and a half later with the young generation better educated, well informed and with access to cultural environments of the western world and entering a liberal age in their own country accepted a highly sex-oriented film like Kama Sutra. Some so-called fundamentalists did create commotion but that was all. This was a courageous attempt and opened the way for 'free and frank' discussions on big and small screens both on taboo subjects.

India adopted a policy of 'liberalism in its true spirit'. She allowed women to come out in the open and choose and define their own role in the society. This helped the Indian women to emerge as 'reborn', accepting new challenges and creating a respectable place for themselves in society. The Indian film industry revitalised with the introduction of highly educated young girls and young men joining the industry, moved towards more open policy. With 'nothing barred' concept and stories, the image and quality of the screen became open and progressive.

Two films, Hey Ram and Gadar, took up the tricky subject of the division of India and birth of Pakistan. This was again for the first time that subject like this (sensitive to good neighbourly relation) was put on screen. Now, with mature and more educated audience, Indian film industry attempted another sensitive and taboo subject in Kya Kehna a story revolving around a single unwed mother, which turned into a box-office success - a subject that could not have been discussed in the open only a decade ago became a big-screen production. Another daring subject about 'live-in relationship' was filmed with the title Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai. This too managed to pull crowds without any agitation, fuss or criticism.

Anupama Chopra, a film commentator for the weekly newsmagazine India Today, says, "I think the biggest change is the way films have started dealing with relationships. It has become more natural and realistic." Indian women with newly found confidence through education and economic opportunities in job markets felt at ease with some of the taboo barriers removed and entered the new liberal environment with full confidence. In 'new mood society' taking the bull by the horn, more experiments were taken in. Another film Fire, based on 'relationship between two women' drew big crowds. Fire was produced by former actress Deepa Mehta who reasoned the choice of the subject on the grounds that there should be no dark corners in society that people shouldn't know about. Deepa Mehta's courage in tackling a taboo issue was appreciated by many liberal social groups and the film received critical approval. Soon another film being produced by Kalpana Lajmi (yet to be titled) would be in the market bringing the environment of the ancient city of Khajuraho, famous for its sexually explicit sculptures.

In a survey carried out in India, asking what the new generation of cinemagoers want, the reply was "something new reflecting the changes that are taking place and certainly not the old stuff". It is a known fact that India's film industry is the largest in the world. It produces on an average 160 films in Hindi (Urdu) and around 650 films in various provincial languages annually.

Indian film industry is now fully developed with the best technology related equipments, skilled computer animations, highly educated actors and actresses and fully skilled dancers (classical and modern). The demand for Indian films in foreign markets of the east and west is growing fast. Every thing begins from home, according to one estimate, the cinemagoers in India stand around 60 million per day; this has helped the industry to grow tremendously and to enter export market too.

The Indian film industry, film stories, subjects and issues being handled, and the new liberalism reflect that Hollywood is dead and Bollywood has come of age. Whether it means better cinema or not, only time will tell, one can safely assume that 'trite' could take a break for a while till the audience explore cinema that is unconventional, realistic and is closer to life.

Posted 09 Oct 2003

Rain Man says
too damn long
Posted 09 Oct 2003

ricky boy says
i no..
Posted 09 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
in reference 2 the last line of that novel (j/k), bahar begum (the stepmom from chooriyan (pakistani movie))said almost the exact same thing at the musical premiere for lollywood's upcoming movie larki punjaban. she said the time for 'acting' is long gone, and people want more reality-oriented work from entertainers (actors actresses).

interesting....
NFAKFan37903.3000462963
Posted 09 Oct 2003

ricky boy says
well ur bahaar begum is absolutely right nfak...she s too smart to play the step mom..lol do u wanna make movies nfak..?? just curious..
Posted 09 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
hey i told ya before that no one reads the damm long topics...

give some summary..i havent read it yet..
Posted 09 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. i have a crazy idea here and there, but then again, we all do don't we.

i respect what indian and pakistani directors do....i would be outta me league. so no...i have no desire 2 make movies. you?
Posted 09 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
lol
Posted 09 Oct 2003

2HOT4U says
MrDeath:your sig is hillarious!! lmao! hahhahahahhaha
Posted 10 Oct 2003

ricky boy says
NFAKFan said:

lol. i have a crazy idea here and there, but then again, we all do don't we.

i respect what indian and pakistani directors do....i would be outta me league. so no...i have no desire 2 make movies. you?

oh cmon nfak ..u r playin modest now..i think u r pretty clued in ...if u have ideas ..then go for it..i would love to make movies someday...which doesnt necessarily mean that i can or will....
Posted 10 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
i would definately pay 2 see a movie with you're name associated with it. lol.

as 4 me....the thing is, i would want an emotional movie, and to get emotion u need kick ass actors and actresses. that means u can throw out a huge chunk of the newer 'talent' making their way into lollywood and bollywood, atleast in my opinion (since most of 'em can't act for beans), and that in turn means i've already lost a boatload of viewers since they seem 2 dig this new 'talent.'

my bollywood movie would have amraish puri playing heel with madhuri, srk, anil kapoor and sunjay dutt and even sri devi 2 round things out. lol.

my lollywood movie would see shaan and saima in the lead, no questions asked with sharqat cheema playing the heel.

as 4 music....i would regergitate nusrat's music and give him 110% credit!

how abt u? NFAKFan37904.2973726852
Posted 10 Oct 2003

ricky boy says
I WOULD BE UR ON-SET PHYSICIAN...LOL
Posted 10 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
HA-HA.

u got somethin' against my all-star cast, is that it?! lol.
Posted 10 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
2HOT4U said:

MrDeath:your sig is hillarious!! lmao! hahhahahahhaha

an yr avatar is very sexy.
Posted 10 Oct 2003

ricky boy says
NFAKFan said:

i would definately pay 2 see a movie with you're name associated with it. lol.

as 4 me....the thing is, i would want an emotional movie, and to get emotion u need kick ass actors and actresses. that means u can throw out a huge chunk of the newer 'talent' making their way into lollywood and bollywood, atleast in my opinion (since most of 'em can't act for beans), and that in turn means i've already lost a boatload of viewers since they seem 2 dig this new 'talent.'

MY THEORY BOUT NEW TALENT IS THAT IF ONE S ABOVE THE THRESHOLD HE SHOULD BE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY..IF PEOPLE DIG EM THEN SOONER OR LATER THEY JUST GROOM EMSELVES..COURSE SOME ARE BETTER THAN THE OTHERS...AND BUDDY NOBODY WOULD INVEST 40 CRORES ON A ROOKIE UNLESS ONES PRETTY SURE TO THE BEST OF HIS OR HER JUDGEMENT THAT HE WOULD EARN A sh*tLOAD OF MONEY OF IT...WE HAVE A PLENTY OF KICK ASS ACTORS WHO WEAVE MAGIC IN CINEMA THEATRES...IT S CRAZY BACK HOME..

my bollywood movie would have amraish puri playing heel with madhuri, srk, anil kapoor and sunjay dutt and even sri devi 2 round things out. lol.

my lollywood movie would see shaan and saima in the lead, no questions asked with sharqat cheema playing the heel.

as 4 music....i would regergitate nusrat's music and give him 110% credit!
UR BOLLY MOVIE IS A VERY VIABLE IDEA..ANYBODY IN TEH WORLD WHO FOLLOWS BOLLYWOOD WOULD SEE IT JUST FOR THE STARS..ALL THESE ACTORS COMMAND A GRRRT FOLLOWING ..AND UR PAKI MOVIE COULD HAVE ANY ACTOR BUT I WOULD SEE IT JUST FOR NUSRATS MUSIC.

how abt u?

Posted 11 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
son, you're acting like its all set 4 filming or something, what with that 40 crores comment. lol. i was kidding. lol.

but you're right, bollywood fans would flock solely 2 see the cast of my alleged bollywood movie, and lollywood fans 2 see cast of my alleged lollywood movie. lord knows they don't want 2 pay attention 2 my 2-bit directing. lol.

i wonder why bollywood donesnt make a movie with a MEGA cast? and by mega cast i mean the greats from the 90's with the greats from 2day. i wouldn't mind seeing that (similar 2 my proposed bolly cast).
Posted 11 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
hey nfak...yo like vince too... i am a great fan of him...
Posted 11 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
same here, mr. death sahib...i love wrestling, as u can see from my avatar. vince is a pure genius in my opinion! whose your favorite wrestler?
Posted 11 Oct 2003

ricky boy says
NFAKFan said:

son, you're acting like its all set 4 filming or something, what with that 40 crores comment. lol. i was kidding. lol.

but you're right, bollywood fans would flock solely 2 see the cast of my alleged bollywood movie, and lollywood fans 2 see cast of my alleged lollywood movie. lord knows they don't want 2 pay attention 2 my 2-bit directing. lol.

i wonder why bollywood donesnt make a movie with a MEGA cast? and by mega cast i mean the greats from the 90's with the greats from 2day. i wouldn't mind seeing that (similar 2 my proposed bolly cast).

well there are mega issues with mega casts ...there are so many actors, all mega stars in their own rights.. and they come expensive ..i mean really expensive....but there are huge movies with imaginative casting coups...my buddy was telling me that all pakistani movies in a period of time have the same actors in every movie....is that so ??
Posted 11 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. 2 an extent, thats true. there was a period when shaan and saima were in 90% of the movies released that particular year. lol.

i guess the reasoning behind it was: why mess with a winning pair/formula?! people complain now, but at the time, they packed the cinema's 2 watch.

as 4 bollywood, the way u make it seem, money should not be an issue. casual fans like me would be drawn 2 marquee names like madhuri, anil kapoor, srk and so on -all in one movie. as such, people would not mind investing in such a movie and profit should not be an issue then, no? ah well....easier said than done i guess.
Posted 12 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
my fav at WWE is shawn micheles.. he is just superb... heart break kid..

secondly i like that Mcmahon family..thy are a great family lol lol
Posted 12 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. indeed, they're quite the disfunctional family! thats what makes them great!

my favorite wrestler is Triple H, as i'm sure u can see!
Posted 14 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
triple h an hbk use to be frns.. then triple h kicked hbk ,,,,, whats the latest story goin on... in wwe... i dont get to much of ten sports.
Posted 14 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
pakistan and india (and even europe) is behind in wwe storylines. i don't know why tho? we're such big fans!

anyhow, the latest is: next event is 'NO MERCY'

it will have kurt angle vs. john cena, undertaker vs. brock lesnar in a biker chain match, and stephanie vs. vince in a father/daughter match!!!! should be good!

and on raw, hbk is beginning a feud with goldberg. hhh is taking time off, so he can get married to stephanie!
Posted 14 Oct 2003

desibaba says
its such a stupidly programmed farce of a show. wonder how anybody with a reasonable IQ could appreciate that sh*t.
Posted 15 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
wrestling's a farce?!? oh no....i suppose next you'll tell me santa clause doesn't exist. (severe sarcasm).

people who watch it (or most of 'em) do so cause they appreciate the athleticism displayed by the wrestlers and the entertainment aspect of it.

u name me any other show which features everything imaginable: a live audience, suspense, comedy, drama, action, stunts, pyro, hell even love triagnles. lol.
Posted 15 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
yes desibaba.. this WWE rocks... i know all the fights are nakali,,,but i love the story there..

an yes nfak..what... father/daughter clash.. hahhaha dont i lov WWE lol lol lol

why dont yo change yr sign to a more famous sayin of vince..-> you'v got... no chance in hell.....

what do yo say?
Posted 15 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. its true! vince vs. stephanie. sable will be in vince's corner, and linda will be in stephanie's corner! if stpeh loses, she is no longer GM of smackdown! interesting stuff eh!

as 4 my quote...your suggestion is good, but i like the one i have yaar! its original, and so true! lol.
Posted 15 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
n who is the guest refree there...lol lol shane i guess.llhhahahhahah...

Posted 16 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. no yaar! shane is busy with kane in a feud of his own!
Posted 16 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
o yes..kane.. i like him too... are the two brothers happy ..or still enemy? i mean undertaker.
Posted 17 Oct 2003

Reply to Topic