MYTHBUSTER

11682 views 240 replies
Reply to Topic
ricky boy

Total Posts: 324

this is an article from this sundays edition of 'daily jang' which of course is a paki newspaper..thought u d be interested...read on, it s kinda longish

India's new breed of films: breaking taboo barriers

"There is no such thing as adult movies now. Television and Internet has changed all that," says Usha Nayyar, a social researcher at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai.

By Mohsin Jaffri

With the dawn of information age, computer-links multiplying, Internet capability reaching new heights, data bank capacity going beyond imagination and visual clips on all subjects abound; what is there that can be veiled from the eyes of whoever surfs the web of his choice. In the knowledge field, the distinction between what a young person can grasp and an adult can understand is narrowing to the extent of becoming meaningless. The impact of this new revolution is more effective in the third world and developing countries where people, in the past, were allowed only 'controlled' information and access to the highly advanced social and cultural concepts were rigidly denied. That is no more possible now. The ruling authorities in some countries, India being one, has accepted the reality and are learning to bow down to 'free media environment'.

In this revolution, the western social and cultural concepts of 'right to choose' for adults and 'sex' taken as normal activity removed all the barriers from under the traditional stronghold of 'taboo'. Also, within this concept and a new approach to free market economy, 'whatever is sellable shall be sold', women found that a 'good figure and face' has a value in market. This helped women (talented and not-so-talented) take advantage of market economy and achieve economic independence.

In India, where women were trapped in centuries old traditions and were made to follow in the footsteps of mythological 'daasi' characters, women were subdued as "born to serve". But all this is changing now. With greater access to education (educational centres, school and colleges multiplying) and more open policy allowing foreign media to enter freely in India, young generation now seem to have more confidence in discussing, tackling such issues that were taboo just a decade ago. India, much ahead in Information Technology compared to its neighbours is also far ahead in accepting the revolution and meeting it. And it takes a positive route by accepting the challenge and implementing liberal policies to create a progressive environment.

India's censor policy has also gone through a complete overhaul. What was a complete no-no some years ago has not only become acceptable but is seen in a respectful vein - and not a mere cheap thrill.

There was a time when a film like Ram Teri Ganga Maili in which an attempt was made (daring for the time) to break taboo subject of sex (explicit encounters outside marriage) but didn't succeed. It actually raised quite a hue and cry. The audience not only felt uneasy but angry too. But a decade and a half later with the young generation better educated, well informed and with access to cultural environments of the western world and entering a liberal age in their own country accepted a highly sex-oriented film like Kama Sutra. Some so-called fundamentalists did create commotion but that was all. This was a courageous attempt and opened the way for 'free and frank' discussions on big and small screens both on taboo subjects.

India adopted a policy of 'liberalism in its true spirit'. She allowed women to come out in the open and choose and define their own role in the society. This helped the Indian women to emerge as 'reborn', accepting new challenges and creating a respectable place for themselves in society. The Indian film industry revitalised with the introduction of highly educated young girls and young men joining the industry, moved towards more open policy. With 'nothing barred' concept and stories, the image and quality of the screen became open and progressive.

Two films, Hey Ram and Gadar, took up the tricky subject of the division of India and birth of Pakistan. This was again for the first time that subject like this (sensitive to good neighbourly relation) was put on screen. Now, with mature and more educated audience, Indian film industry attempted another sensitive and taboo subject in Kya Kehna a story revolving around a single unwed mother, which turned into a box-office success - a subject that could not have been discussed in the open only a decade ago became a big-screen production. Another daring subject about 'live-in relationship' was filmed with the title Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai. This too managed to pull crowds without any agitation, fuss or criticism.

Anupama Chopra, a film commentator for the weekly newsmagazine India Today, says, "I think the biggest change is the way films have started dealing with relationships. It has become more natural and realistic." Indian women with newly found confidence through education and economic opportunities in job markets felt at ease with some of the taboo barriers removed and entered the new liberal environment with full confidence. In 'new mood society' taking the bull by the horn, more experiments were taken in. Another film Fire, based on 'relationship between two women' drew big crowds. Fire was produced by former actress Deepa Mehta who reasoned the choice of the subject on the grounds that there should be no dark corners in society that people shouldn't know about. Deepa Mehta's courage in tackling a taboo issue was appreciated by many liberal social groups and the film received critical approval. Soon another film being produced by Kalpana Lajmi (yet to be titled) would be in the market bringing the environment of the ancient city of Khajuraho, famous for its sexually explicit sculptures.

In a survey carried out in India, asking what the new generation of cinemagoers want, the reply was "something new reflecting the changes that are taking place and certainly not the old stuff". It is a known fact that India's film industry is the largest in the world. It produces on an average 160 films in Hindi (Urdu) and around 650 films in various provincial languages annually.

Indian film industry is now fully developed with the best technology related equipments, skilled computer animations, highly educated actors and actresses and fully skilled dancers (classical and modern). The demand for Indian films in foreign markets of the east and west is growing fast. Every thing begins from home, according to one estimate, the cinemagoers in India stand around 60 million per day; this has helped the industry to grow tremendously and to enter export market too.

The Indian film industry, film stories, subjects and issues being handled, and the new liberalism reflect that Hollywood is dead and Bollywood has come of age. Whether it means better cinema or not, only time will tell, one can safely assume that 'trite' could take a break for a while till the audience explore cinema that is unconventional, realistic and is closer to life.

Posted 09 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
good 4 u! sociology is 4 those who want 2 go into such a field. if not...stay away! lol. we were expected 2 read 225 pgs in one week?! i told the professor: buddy....i have a life and other courses 2! u expect us 2 read ALL this, 4 real?! he said yes, and i said, CHAO, buddy! that was one of many reasons i dropped it! anyhow, i'm sorry slik chick! i was just letting off some steam there. lol.

as 4 the chicken: lesson learned! lol.

as 4 eid...i wish i could go 2 pk yaar! but it doesn't look like that'll happend, atleast this eid. so i guess my eid will be spent waking up, eating dood and saveeyan's, then namaaz at the masjid, and then a day at home with family/friends, watching ptv prime and the eid specials they show! hopefully they'll air a concert like they did last year! how abt u? what r u're plans?!
Posted 06 Nov 2003

MrDeath says
ffm said:

MrDeath said:

abe ye raha lucky ali...my fav singer...he is da best rulz the world....

<font color="red"> arey haan yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh bhi lucky ali hai SAFAR , AKS wala ...

per we r talkin abt another lucky ali

are safar nain..sifar..
he was also in... the movie kaante...do ya remember him know nfak

chalo chaddo ji...tell me whts new in WWE
Posted 06 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
oh! yaar next week is survivor series!

the 3 big matches are:

hhh vs. goldberg II
team austin (HBK, RVD, BOOKER T, and the DUDLEY BOYZ) vs. team bishoff (SCOTT STEINER, JERICHO, CHRISTIAN, MARK HENRY AND RANDY ORTON)
and vince vs. undertaker in a buried alive match!!!

and whats more: the old undertaker is coming back! the deadman! at survivor series, vince will win (he'll burry undertaker). then 2 months later at wrestlemania, the undertaker will return as the 'deadman'!!! cool na?!
Posted 06 Nov 2003

~Fragi~ says
i hate wrestling
Posted 06 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
oh le. may we ask y, yaar!?
Posted 06 Nov 2003

~Fragi~ says
bus i lub cartooons

Posted 06 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. chalo teek hai! aap ko pata hai, wrestling ka cartoon bhi araha hai, next year!? no joke!
Posted 06 Nov 2003

~Fragi~ says
oh acha

wow

nice
Posted 06 Nov 2003

MrDeath says
acha nfak..do ya mean... that the undertaker will be in his old style again... i mean.. the graveyard music.. and the black outfit..balck cap... i really loved him that time... but unfortunately he changed his style n started commin on moterbike...///

arre haan...what happend at no mercy...that father daughter match..>>?? what abt smack down???

n give some news abt shane too..

Posted 07 Nov 2003

slik chik says
NFAKFan said:

good 4 u! sociology is 4 those who want 2 go into such a field. if not...stay away! lol. we were expected 2 read 225 pgs in one week?! i told the professor: buddy....i have a life and other courses 2! u expect us 2 read ALL this, 4 real?! he said yes, and i said, CHAO, buddy! that was one of many reasons i dropped it! anyhow, i'm sorry slik chick! i was just letting off some steam there. lol.

as 4 the chicken: lesson learned! lol.

as 4 eid...i wish i could go 2 pk yaar! but it doesn't look like that'll happend, atleast this eid. so i guess my eid will be spent waking up, eating dood and saveeyan's, then namaaz at the masjid, and then a day at home with family/friends, watching ptv prime and the eid specials they show! hopefully they'll air a concert like they did last year! how abt u? what r u're plans?!

IL PROB BE IN UNI FO EID DAY ASWELL, WEN I GO HOME IL JUS TALK TO MA FAMILY N FRNDZ TO SAY EID MUBARAK, N WILL MAKE SUM GOOD FOOD TO GET IN DA SPIRIT OF EID! DATS IT FO ME!
Posted 07 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
u won't take the day off slik chik?! common yaar....its eid! lol.

Posted 07 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
yup mr. death. the old 'taker, complete with graveyard music, black hat, gloves...u know...the deadman gimmick!

as 4 no mercy...vince beat stephanie! linda threw in the towel so steph had no choice but 2 give up. so now she's no longer the gm 4 smackdown. the new gm is paul heyman!

the main event for smackdown @ survivor series is:

team lesnar (brock, big show, nathan jones, matt morgan, & a-train) vs. team angle (kurt, benoit, john cena, bradshaw and hardcore holly).

and btw...u remember crash holly?! bechara died yesterday. to bad.
Posted 07 Nov 2003

slik chik says
NFAKFan said:

u won't take the day off slik chik?! common yaar....its eid! lol.

I KNOW BUT WUDNT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE, I LIVE ON MA OWN IN DUBLIN, N MA FAMILY IS HALF WAY DOWN DA COUNTRY, SO IF EID HAPPENS TO BE ON A WEEKDAY, THEN NO POINT, BUT IF IT FALLS ON A WEEKEND, THEN IM GONA GO HOME!
Posted 07 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
i see. if it was me....i'd take the day off regardless! u owe it 2 urself! its our biggest holiday! the world stops for christmas and haunika, so it shouldn't be business as usual for eid either - especially for us muslims! lol. ah, but you have your reasons. don't get me wrong...i'm not putting your decision down! u gotta do what u gotta do!
Posted 07 Nov 2003

slik chik says
yeah but see, wat am i gona do in my apartment all on ma own? nothin naa, gona be really depressing, so if im im uni, il have sum of ma other paki frndz n all n we can atleast have a bit of company or we might all just take the day off n hook up on the day n have a lil get togehter! hehehe, still thinkin bout it!
Posted 11 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
plan 'b' sounds better (day off with friends)!
Posted 11 Nov 2003

slik chik says
yEAH, I MIGHT ASWELL DOT HAT, BUT THEY'LL ALL EXPECT ME TO COOK FO THEM!,CUZ NONE OF THEM CAN EVEN COOK AN EGG, LOLZ, NOT THAT ANYBODY WUD BELIEVE I CAN COOK BY LOOKIN AT ME! HAHAHAHAH!
Posted 11 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. so what'll u cook 4 them?! biryani/saag, korma/pulaou, haleem/naan!?!?! what'll be on the menu?! keep in mind its eid....u can't stick 'em with every-day stuff! u gotta bust out the main event dishes! lol.
Posted 12 Nov 2003

~Fragi~ says
slik chik said:

yEAH, I MIGHT ASWELL DOT HAT, BUT THEY'LL ALL EXPECT ME TO COOK FO THEM!,CUZ NONE OF THEM CAN EVEN COOK AN EGG, LOLZ, NOT THAT ANYBODY WUD BELIEVE I CAN COOK BY LOOKIN AT ME! HAHAHAHAH!

well .... rite... no budy wud blv yer traits...

acha waise ya can cook >>>??? amazing
Posted 12 Nov 2003

slik chik says
NFAKFan said:

lol. so what'll u cook 4 them?! biryani/saag, korma/pulaou, haleem/naan!?!?! what'll be on the menu?! keep in mind its eid....u can't stick 'em with every-day stuff! u gotta bust out the main event dishes! lol.

LOLZ..HAVENT HAD TIME TO THINK BOUT THE MENU YET! WILL LET U KNOW WEN ITS DECIDED! BUT U R MAKIN ME HUNGRY BY MENTIONING ALL THEM NICE THINGS!
Posted 13 Nov 2003

slik chik says
ffm said:

slik chik said:

<font color="red"> well .... rite... no budy wud blv yer traits...

acha waise ya can cook >>>??? amazing
GOO THING YA FOUND OUT KIDDO!
YUP I CAN COOK, BUT U ONLY GONA GET KIDDO FOOD, MASHED PEAS AND CARROT! YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM!
Posted 13 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. sorry 2 have made u hungry, especially during ramadan! lol.

i'll be waiting 4 that menu. lol.
Posted 13 Nov 2003

MrDeath says
hey nfak i never asked ya where da ya live in canada... tell me more abt yrself..?
Posted 14 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
oh jee, i live in the heart and soul of canada, toronto which is where i was born and raised. my background is pakistani (lahore)!

i attend university, and i'm into music (NFAK, humaira arshad, fuzon), wrestling (triple h) and hockey (TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS)! thats abt it, without goin in2 2 much detail!

how abt u?! where in india r u from?!
Posted 14 Nov 2003

MrDeath says
me live in jaipur (rajasthan)

we basically belong to U.P.. Aligarh..

in 2 yr college.
Posted 17 Nov 2003

slik chik says
NFAKFan said:

lol. sorry 2 have made u hungry, especially during ramadan! lol.

i'll be waiting 4 that menu. lol.

lolz...keep waitin......cuz il only find out maself at the spur of the moment maself!
Posted 17 Nov 2003

MrDeath says
kya baat hai??
Posted 17 Nov 2003

slik chik says
im spending eid with ma friends, away from ma parents, n one of the main things bout eid is the lovely food, n none of ma friends can cook and i can, so i'll be one kitchen duty!
Posted 17 Nov 2003

MR PERFECT says
slik chik said:

lolz...keep waitin......cuz il only find out maself at the spur of the moment maself!

lol. u gotta plan ahead!! lol. (j/k)
Posted 18 Nov 2003

slik chik says
weel, i dont plan anything, becuz usually it doesnt turn out the way i want it to!and that really dissapoints me, which leads to anger, n i dont think anybody wud like to see me angry!
so, i prefere to go with the flow and , usually, it turns out good!
Posted 18 Nov 2003

Reply to Topic
Copyright ©2024 Janubaba.com - All Rights Reserved.- .019