INDO-PAK SERIES WAS FIXED?

1218 views 24 replies
Reply to Topic
Rain Man

Total Posts: 24391

It was 'fixed', says the buzz. But no proof

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ TUESDAY, MARCH 23, 2004 12:31:08 AM ]

NEW DELHI/LAHORE: The buzz has been growing over the past week. Just wait and see, we were told, it's going to be 2-2. It's been decided, said these people with the kind of tone that hinted at inside knowledge.

Pakistan lost the 4th ODI match in Lahore on Sunday. (AP photo)

When India lost their way in Peshawar and Pakistan snatched a 2-1 lead in the one-day series, we were told, don't worry, India's going to win the next match. When India came in from the cold to set up a decider in Lahore, it grew louder. Tongues wagged in Lahore, Karachi, Mumbai and Delhi: the goodwill series has been "fixed", it was said.

Obviously, there's not a shred of evidence. Pakistan skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq flared up in an uncharacteristic manner at the post-match press conference. "Shut up. You may please leave the room," he told a reporter when asked if the match had been pre-decided.

The evidence is completely circumstantial. Silence descended darkly over the Gaddafi Stadium as Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Sami lost control over their line and length and Rahul Dravid and Mohammad Kaif grabbed the steering wheel. "The bowlers (suddenly) went flat and the field placements are a matter of debate," wrote Rashid Latif later.

Ihen, Imran Khan said on TV: "In the morning, the cabbies were saying everyone knows it's going to be 2-2."

But Dravid wasn't amused. "Will someone take this man out of the room," he pleaded as the questions got hotter. PCB chief Shahryar Khan was more circumspect. "It is sad people say such things," he told TNN in Lahore.
The ICC too was worried about the resurgence of bookies during this series. It even deployed four officials from its Anti-Corruption Unit to keep an eye on virtually every delivery. Late Monday evening, the council went on record to rule out the possibility of any match-fixing. Terming the allegations as baseless, it said, "no undesirable element" was allowed to go anywhere near the players. It's been a clean series, is the ICC's verdict.

Here, at The Times of India, we'd like to remind our readers of the old, old saying: Cricket is a game of glorious uncertainties. Yes, we know that thousands of crores and huge doses of political equity are riding on the series, but Dravid is a truly great player and Kaif gives 110 per cent to the game and the country, and to suggest that they were lent a helping hand, would be doing them a great disservice.
Posted 23 Mar 2004

MrDeath says
stupids
Posted 23 Mar 2004

Xtreme says
WELL LOOKS MORE LIKE IT MAN lol
Posted 23 Mar 2004

liars
Posted 23 Mar 2004

~Fragi~ says
no i dont think so
Posted 23 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
lol calm down guys, its a BUZZ...
but 50 50 chances are that it was fixed...after the match happened after 14 years in pakistan...
Posted 24 Mar 2004

sal_fan says
u neva know...esp wid the kind of hints one got in the last 2 matches
Posted 25 Mar 2004

¥Ä§ ÐËViL said:

lol calm down guys, its a BUZZ...
but 50 50 chances are that it was fixed...after the match happened after 14 years in pakistan...

rishwat khoor...sab ate hain match dekhne ke liye,,aur yeh paisay ke liye haar jate hain jese aaj
Posted 25 Mar 2004

Hayaa khan says
salaam...jab match jeet jatay hai tho aap loog khush hotay hai jab har jatay hai tho ilzaam dehtay hai par Thankx to Allah kai Indian team jeet gai...............and congratulation to tamsila,aryana laila lalita minsha fazila and bush.
Posted 25 Mar 2004

MR PERFECT says
lol.

i dont think the game was fixed.

i think pakistan lost fair and sqare. the look on inzamaam-ul-haq's face following the loss spoke volumes. he was sincerely disheartened.

whoever spreads rumours that the game(s) was fixed is looking 4 exuses, in my opinion. we lost. give india credit. nothing 2 be ashamed of. we lost a series, but we won in terms of moving ahead in the mission 4 peace!!
Posted 25 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
yea u're right nfakfan...
Posted 25 Mar 2004

NFAKFan said:

lol.

i think pakistan lost fair and sqare. the look on inzamaam-ul-haq's face following the loss spoke volumes. he was sincerely disheartened.

whoever spreads rumours that the game(s) was fixed is looking 4 exuses, in my opinion. we lost. give india credit. nothing 2 be ashamed of. we lost a series, but we won in terms of moving ahead in the mission 4 peace!!

match dekha hai? dekha hota tab na
Posted 25 Mar 2004

sal_fan says
NFAKFan said:

lol.

i know eh inzi looked as if he had cried i like him so much...such a good player n he is kute too
Posted 25 Mar 2004

toss jeeta hai...un ko dey die batting...lo jeet lo match..jab pakistan bowling kar raha tha tu due factor a gaya tha...kal kahan gaya due factor
Posted 25 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
the only thing i'm proud about the series is, when AFRIDI was beating them up in the second ODI
Posted 25 Mar 2004

koi match fix nahi hua...problem was due factor...tabhi kal pak ne underlights main batting ki thie...Inzimam is honest...not fool like waqar in world cup 2003 en 1999 in final
Posted 25 Mar 2004

MR PERFECT says
shahrukh khan said:

match dekha hai? dekha hota tab na

lol. ustaad jee, dekha ta match!! i did watch!
Posted 25 Mar 2004

sal_fan says
so who went to see the matches live?
Posted 26 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
Posted 26 Mar 2004

sal_fan says
wat
Posted 26 Mar 2004

MrDeath says
kick rahsid latif's butt 4 times
Posted 26 Mar 2004

sal_fan says
y? u like it so much kya
Posted 26 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
jub match harta ..sub yehan kehtay hain..it's not new.
same question journalist neh..Inzamam say phoocha..is it match fix?..Inzamam says..'Shut up'..
and journalist has been walked out..inzamam parachan ho gia.

Posted 27 Mar 2004

~Fragi~ says
well i dun think so k match fix tha . .i do agree wid mr ydakh k yeh koi new baat nahi .. jab bhi harey ......match fixing ka ilzaam
Posted 27 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
lol death
Posted 28 Mar 2004

Reply to Topic