Lahore bans ’obscene’ dancing

2253 views 39 replies
Reply to Topic
lovelypakistan

Total Posts: 15

Events like fashion shows are frowned upon by some Islamic practitioners in Lahore

City authorities in the capital of Pakistan's Punjab region, Lahore, have imposed an indefinite ban on what they describe as "obscene dancing" in theatres.
The ban, which has been put in place with immediate effect, follows Tuesday's police raids on half-a-dozen theatres in the town, which authorities said were promoting "vulgarity".

The decision to ban stage dances was taken at a meeting presided over by Mr Khalid Sultan, a senior civil servant heading the city administration, and attended by theatre owners and senior stage artists.

It was on Mr Sultan's orders, on Tuesday, that police invoked a law on stage entertainment to stop performances in five theatres, all belonging to the private sector.

If the order was to be interpreted to imply a blanket ban on all stage dancing, artists would protest and resist the move

Naheed Khanum
playwright
Their reason: operating without a license and showing "vulgar dances".

All the theatres included under Tuesday's ban have been allowed to resume their performances on condition that they will not allow "obscene dances" by professional stage dancers or use of "vulgar language" in their dialogue.

The owners, who had mostly converted their cinemas into theatres - when film shows gradually lost popularity to VCRs - have also been asked to obtain operating licenses.

Morality or taste?

Outside Pakistan, steps announced by Lahore's city administration are likely to be seen as part of a pattern to rid society of un-Islamic ingredients.

There have been demonstrations against pictures of female models on billboards and demands to alter the university curriculum.

However, whether religion or issues of taste are the real motive behind the latest ban is not yet clear.

Pakistani theatre generally thrives on practically unscripted plays without storyline, and interspersed with songs and dances.

Audiences are often treated to impromptu humour on the part of the cast - usually with sexual overtones.

Vague wording

Speaking to the BBC after the meeting on Wednesday, the District Co-ordination Officer, Mr Sultan, said the aim of the ban was to restore the status of theatre as "a means of genuine entertainment".

"For this reason, the ban will extend only to obscene dances and vulgar use of language," he said.

But a senior playwright and director, Naheed Khanum, has reservations.

"Of course, everybody should appreciate official efforts to curb vulgarity on stage. But if the order was to be interpreted to imply a blanket ban on all stage dancing, artists would protest and resist the move," she said.

The city authorities have not defined what constitutes "vulgar dialogue" or "obscene dancing".

In the absence of an objective test, the power to interpret the new directions will naturally fall into the hands of the police.

Posted 26 Mar 2004

Saki says
aahhhh. i can't believe they will do this, i see no vulgarity in fashion shows, its better than other countries' fashion shows where the situation is worse..
plus with actions like these they're preventing this media from expanding and we already r sooo behind..
Posted 26 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
Lahore is popular for vulgar punjabi movies and Stage dramas..no family can't go in theatre and cinimas..

Posted 26 Mar 2004

~Fragi~ says
have ya been to lahore ??? ,.. n plz no rasping
Posted 26 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
first u mind your own business!...dont irritate from reality.
Posted 26 Mar 2004

~Fragi~ says
i said plz no rasping .... n watch out fo yer lingo plz
Posted 26 Mar 2004

shaby says
if they have places like heera menhdi in lahore, wats wrong with these fashtion shows.
Posted 26 Mar 2004

sal_fan says
haha, i see many people here r jealous of lahore...chalo kuch nahi...aisa tu hota hi hai
Posted 26 Mar 2004

MrDeath says
btw great gals in da pic...
Posted 26 Mar 2004

MR PERFECT says
sal_fan said:

haha, i see many people here r jealous of lahore...chalo kuch nahi...aisa tu hota hi hai

shabby's got a point. if pakistan has 'red light' areas (lahore is not the only city in which these places exist), then why not allow 'vulgarity' in fashion shows?!
Posted 26 Mar 2004

paki_fan says
why is everybody in here so after.. lhr.... well i must say i am from lhr no atter what is going on there
Posted 27 Mar 2004

sal_fan says
NFAKFan said:

sal_fan said:

shabby's got a point. if pakistan has 'red light' areas (lahore is not the only city in which these places exist), then why not allow 'vulgarity' in fashion shows?!

i do not see a connection between the two! the red light areas r not advertised on tv...they r not at focus...but the fashion shows r...every person is prone to see them on tv...but how many go to the red light area
Posted 27 Mar 2004

MR PERFECT says
i understand what you're sayin' - that fashion shows are more prone to a larger, more diverse crowd. thats probably why its targeted for banishment, but my point is vulgarity exists in both fashion shows and the 'red light area' nonetheless! just cause one is not shown on tv doesn't mean people don't make frequent trips there!! if u ban one, ban 'em both, no?!!

....and btw...no, i'm not talkin' from experience! LOL.
Posted 27 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
ydakh said:

Lahore is popular for vulgar punjabi movies and Stage dramas..no family can't go in theatre and cinimas..

oye yaar samajhta nahin hai tu, lahore lahore eh
Posted 27 Mar 2004

MR PERFECT says
yup!! sing it loud bro!
Posted 27 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
can't sing yaar, mera gala kharab hai aaj
Posted 27 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
¥Ä§ ÐËViL said:

ydakh said:

oye yaar samajhta nahin hai tu, lahore lahore eh

tabhey tu compromise kar lia......bardashat say bahar hota hai tu kehna parata hai such jo kay karfa hota hai hamasha.
Posted 27 Mar 2004

~Fragi~ says
grrr.. ya ppl r going towards antha .. idiotic war .. yas contact wid me .. n peace out ...
Posted 27 Mar 2004

~Fragi~ says
but i muz clear k .. m urdu speaking .. migrated person .. mera lahore sey koi relation nahi .. but itz a peice of ma home land ... n i dont think k mein apni home land k liye aisee baatien soono ga .. over n out n peace out .... cheeers
Posted 27 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
no one's fightin here...n debatin is fine unless it turns into curssin each other out...
Posted 28 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
it's not serious! ok..dont permit topic of city based ..it will good for all!...all shod be pakistan based ..ok..
Posted 28 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
aur waise bhi i'm involved in the topic, kuch hua to main hoon na
Posted 28 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
han..aap tu jb kay srk ho...ju aaj ka keh raha..mein hon na!

waisey problem sirf aik hey banday ko hai..

do trust me..discussion honey chaye..agar main ghalut hon..tu prove kuru..behaz kur kay....
Posted 28 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
it's ok, wo silsila to chalta rahega...
Posted 28 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
kon sa silsila..silsila rososhub!
Posted 28 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
chalo karachi pe ek topic shuru karte hain...kya khayal hai...
Posted 28 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
nahi!koi zarrorat nahi!
Posted 28 Mar 2004

Rain Man says
kyon darr to nahin lag raha ke wahan par bhi lahore lahore eh hoga
Posted 28 Mar 2004

STANDARD says
nahi wahan pur wohey ho ga ju ub ho raha hai!and u know kis ki turf say..taank arana!
Posted 28 Mar 2004

~Fragi~ says
ydakh said:

han..aap tu jb kay srk ho...ju aaj ka keh raha..mein hon na!

waisey problem sirf aik hey banday ko hai..

do trust me..discussion honey chaye..agar main ghalut hon..tu prove kuru..behaz kur kay....

mujhe koi problem nahi hai .. but is tarah k views sey n behas sey harmony kharab hoti hai ... we hav to spread love n harmony na k yeh differences creat karney hain ... i said avoid these kinda topix coz yeh .. harmony ko disharmony mein badel rahey hain .. n itz ma place.. i gota role in this family .... so i hav a rite to decide wat shud we hav to discus or wat we shud not ,..
Posted 28 Mar 2004

~Fragi~ says
¥Ä§ ÐËViL said:

no one's fightin here...n debatin is fine unless it turns into curssin each other out...

its been crussin .. chek out some views .. n i wont allow any one of ya to cross dese limits .. it must b clear .... chek out sum views abt lahore city .. i told ya me 2 karachiate .. i love dat city coz wahan mein 15 years raha hoon .. mera parents sari umer wahan rahey hain .. per here.. i do love ma country too ... n i dont think any part of ma country is bad ... or vulgur ... if some body calls one part of ma country vulgur hez calling ma bastard .. okies.. n keep it in mind ... i dona wana such topics n post here again ....
Posted 28 Mar 2004

Reply to Topic