Celina Jaitley "BEAUTIFUL"

87944 views 848 replies
Reply to Topic
Rain Man

Total Posts: 24391

just comin from the HEARTTHROBS concert, i was standin right by the back stage, where they go to change their clothes n stuff...(wasn't in there, but right by there 2 inches away " so ne ways, Aish was sittin there celina n fardeen with his broken leg lol...n i saw both of em, aish n celina, believe it or not, like celina so much better, even took pics of her, n the best thing when i took the pic she looked n smiled so i gotta good pic of her too, if i ever get em scanned i'll post em here, but damn now she's my fav neha comes to the second spot while aish moves to the third...oh yea n when hrithik was came, i was again right by the stage, so i yelled booooooo u suck...but it was too loud i know he didn't hear me, but his fans looked at me in the angriest way...and now the bottom line, CONCERT SUCKED for like the hour n half they were dancin on the old songs, i was jus watchin Celine, she's the best...
Posted 08 May 2004

Fairl_Girl says
Posted 02 Sep 2004

Rain Man says
ye baat hai...to ye lo

Posted 02 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
is main baat nahi itni
Posted 06 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
Posted 06 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
Posted 06 Sep 2004

Rain Man says
nice pic
Posted 09 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
acha ji
Posted 09 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
Posted 09 Sep 2004

Rain Man says
u keep postin n i'll keep savin
Posted 09 Sep 2004

i hate celina    i ashwariya
Posted 09 Sep 2004

Rain Man says
nice to know that
i use to like aish...
Posted 09 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
Posted 14 Sep 2004

Rain Man says
nice sources u got there
Posted 14 Sep 2004

sweetstuff says
hey guys! remember me!

sorry, haven't been posting cuz my comp @ home has crashed, and i still haven't gotten it fixed. i'm @ school rite now, and it's the best i can do, see y'all around later! bye for now!

btw, there were some new pix of celina @ indiafm in the party and features archives, so go check em out. she was @ the temptations 2004 press meet.

i'll try postin em up, w/sum more stuff tomorrow. bye for now.

1847 Liberia becomes Africa’s first independent republic. This causes aid to stop from colonization of the society and Liberia begins to face economic problems. (Economic, 7)

1926 Firestone establishes a rubber plantation in Monrovia (the capital of Liberia). This was the largest rubber plantation in the world and was also the biggest employer for 45 years, leading the way for other companies to be established. (Economic, 0)

1930 President Edwin Barclay formed a new administration. He took power after the former president resigned after allegedly using slaves for forced labor. (Political, 1)

1940's Iron ore is discovered in the mountainous area that forms the northern border with Guinea. The founding of iron ore helps improve the economy, as it becomes an important natural resource to the land. (Economic, 0)

1942 US and Liberia sign a defense agreement and Liberia becomes a prominent nation to the world. Because of Japanese invasion and occupation of SE Asia, the West was denied it’s source of rubber, which was needed for the war. As a result, the US invested in development of Liberia’s transportation infrastructure. They built roads, an international airport, and a deepwater harbor in Monrovia. (Economic, 0)

1944 Liberia signs the UN declaration, making it a fully independent nation with close ties to the US. US currency replaced British currency. (Political, 0)

1944-1971 William Tubman is elected as president. He began a policy of national unification and economic development through foreign investment. (Economic, 0)

1971 Tubman dies and VP William Tolbert becomes the new president. He faces economic problems from fall in world prices of rubber and iron ore. (Economic, 7)

1980 Government increases the price of rice and anti-government demonstrations take place and
leaders of the opposition party were imprisoned when they call a general strike. (Economic, 2) (Violence, 1) (Political, 6)

1980 Tolbert is killed in an army coup. Stability is shattered among Liberia. (Violence, 8)

1980 New leader Samuel Doe takes power as head of the new People’s Redemption Council.He suspended the constitution and assumed full legislative and executive powers. (Political, 7)

1980 More than a dozen officials of the previous regime are publicly executed. Part of the reason for the violent overthrow of Tolbert’s government was that his government was dominated by Americo-Liberians (elite class; descendants of former slaves), while the majority of Liberia belonged to the indigeneous tribes. (Violence, 9)

1985 Elections were held, but most were sure it was a rigged election to assure Doe as president.
He formally took over in 1986. Under his leadership, inflation rose and exports decreased. Close ties to the US were deteriorating because of government corruption and lack of human rights. (Economic, 9)

1986 A new constitution is drawn up. But it is not very different from the preceding one, and controversy over Doe’s election ruins it’s legitimacy. (Political, 1)

1989 A rebel army, the National Patriotic Front of Liberia, based in Sierra Leone and led by Charles Taylor, crosses into Liberia and began an uprising against the government. This caused violence and riots to break out. (Political, 6) (Violence, 10)

1989 Struggle follows between ethnic factions. Doe was supported by the Krahn and Mandingo, while Taylor was supported by the Gio and Mano. (Political, 10) (Violence, 11)

1990 The Economic Community of Western African States (ECOWAS) organizes a peacekeeping force. But it fails to stop the fighting, even though some order is restored. (Violence, 14)

1990 Civil War breaks out as the NPFL battles ECOMOG, the Liberian army, their splinter group
the Independent National Patriotic Front of Liberia (INPFL), and the United Liberation Movement
of Liberia for Democracy (ULIMO), composed of former allies of Doe. This causes the collapse of the criminal law system as power passed to the hands of rival groups who established their own summary forms of justice. (Political, 12)

September 1990 Doe is captured and executed by a group led by another rebel leader. This causes more instability as the public leader is killed and thrown out of power. (Violence, 8)

October 1991 ECOWAS and the NPFL agreed to disarm and establish an Interim Government of
National Unity (IGNU). This was planned to settle down the rioting and other violent events. (Political, 14)

1992 The NPFL began to disarm in early 1992, but clashed with ECOMOG forces, and in August
was attacked by ULIMO from Sierra Leone. In September the NPFL launched an all-out assault
on ECOMOG forces in Monrovia, recruiting boys as young as eight to fight, and executing
civilians who refused to join. This shut down all transportation in or out of the capital for a while and killed thousands of civilians in the crossfire. (Violence, 15)

July 1993 The leaders of IGNU, NPFL, and ULIMO-K drew up a plan for a Liberian National
Transitional Government, led by a five-member Council of State consisting of one NPFL leader,
one ULIMO-K member, one IGNU representative, and two other civilians. A new provisional government is put into place in hope for a more stable future. (Political, 15)

1993 The provisional government does not follow the terms of the treaty. Peace becomes
even harder with a new group, the Liberian Peace Council. (Political, 1)

1995 A peace treaty is signed to put the government in the hands of a new six-member Council of State under a chairperson. Disarming began once again, and refugees start coming back to their homeland. (Political, 0)

1996 Civil War ends with the signing of the Abuja Accord. Fighters gave up weapons and no longer carried arms in order to prevent further fighting between rival groups. (Violence, 14)

July 19, 1997 An election is held, and the vote is judged fair by international observers, as Charles
Taylor is elected president. The Council of State dissolves with this election. (Political, 0)

2001 UN imposes economic sanctions on Liberia for aiding warfare in Sierra Leone. Months of fighting and international pressure pursue until Taylor resigns. (Economic, 9) (Violence, 14)

August 11, 2003 Taylor resigns and goes into exile to Nigeria because of threatening raids from his
involvement in promoting warfare in Sierra Leone. (Political, 14)

October 14, 2003 Gyude Bryant takes over leadership after he was chosen to lead a transitional government at the all-party peace talks. He was put into power for two years in order to prepare Liberia for a national election and to disarm any remaining groups. (Political, 15)

October 11, 2005 The 2005 election brings victory to leading contender Winston Tubman. (Political, 0)

2010 Liberia is being led towards a recovery step-by-step. In the process, the economy is steadily rising with the US as an ally, and politically things are becoming steadier and balanced as democracy flourishes. (Economic, 0) (Political, 0) (Violence, 1)

2010 Liberia is being led towards a recovery step-by-step. In the process, the economy is steadily rising with the US as an ally, and politically things are becoming steadier and balanced as democracy flourishes.

Almanac

1. Park, Ken. The World Almanac and Book of Facts 2005. New York: World Almanac, 2004.

This source provided me an overview of the situation in Liberia as well as sufficient history to be included in my timeline.

Books

1. Ellis, Stephen. The Mask of Anarchy: The Destruction of Liberia and the Religious Dimension      of an African Civil War. New York: New York University Press, 2001.

This source provided me information on how Liberia landed up in the situation it is in.

2. Heritage, Andrew. Financial Times: World Desk Reference. New York: Darling Kindersley Publishing.

This book helped in understanding the economic aspect of Liberia.

3. Kulah, Arthur. Liberia Will Rise Again: Reflections on the Liberian Civil Crisis. Abingdon Press, 1999.

This helped in my predictions of what will occur in the future of Liberia.

4. Pham, John-Peter. Liberia: Portrait of a Failed State. New York: Reed Press, 2004.

This book helped explain why Liberia is in the position it is currently in.

5. World Politics Annual Edition Basic Library Reference. Connecticut: Dushkin Publishing Group, 1989.

This book helped understand the leadership positions and types of government Liberia had in the past.

Internet

1. “Liberia.” MSN Encarta. 26 March 05. <http://www.encarta.com>

This internet source provided me with maps for the presentation, as well as history.

2. “Liberia in Pix.” Time. 30 Mar 05. <http://www.time.com/time>

This source provided me with pictures of leaders and current happenings in Liberia.

Magazines

1. Faris, Stephan. “Liberia's Taylor: 'I'll Go When the Peacekeepers Come’.” Time 10 Jul 2003. <http://www.time.com/time>

This magazine article explained the resignation of Charles Taylor as president.

2. Faris, Stephan. “Liberia: The US Comes In.” Time. 15 Aug 2003. <http://www.time.com/time>

This article provided an overview of how the US has aided Liberia in gaining a foothold on democracy.

3. Faris, Stephan. “Charles Taylor Leaves Liberia.” Time. 11 Aug 2003. <http://www.time.com/time>

This article explained the reasons as to why Charles Taylor resigned and the aftermath.

4. “Liberia.” Rand McNally World Facts and Maps 1995, 64-65.

This magazine provided interesting facts that were included in my timeline.

5. Michaels, Marguerite. “Liberia: In the Land of Blood and Tears.” Time. <http://www.time.com/time>

This magazine showed Liberia from the perspective of a foreigner during battling times.

Newspapers

1. Abel, David. “Liberia’s Elections.” The Boston Globe. 11 Mar 2005. <http://www.boston.com/globe>

This source was helpful in understanding the future election of Liberia.

2. “From Chaos, Order.” The Economist. 5 Mar 2005. <http://www.findarticles.com>

This article shows how Liberia could now step up and gain a foothold.

3. Peel, Michael. The Financial Times. 19 Jul 2004. <http://www.findarticles.com>

This explained the economic aspects of Liberia in recent times.

4. Powers, William. International Herald Tribune. 11 Jan 2005. <http://www.findarticles.com>

This article provided an overview of Liberia’s elections.

5. Thompson, Sametta. “Tubman Arrives.” New York Amsterdam News. 10 March 2005. <http://www.findarticles.com>

This article shows how Tubman may have a lead in this year’s elections.
Posted 15 Sep 2004

Rain Man says
we remember u...
cool, we'll wait for ur next post...update us with Celina...
Posted 15 Sep 2004

sweetstuff says

Obesessions : Celina Jaitley
MEENA IYER

The shoe must go on

Celina jaitely ‘s crazy about her shoes all 825 of them at last count. Her footwear fetish makes her the happy owner of the largest shoe collection in apna movies

“It’s a childhood passion,” she giggles. “My mother tells me that as a child, I’d insist on a matching pair of shoes for every new dress. And when we’d go out, I had this clever habit of dropping one of the shoes I was wearing, so the other would become redundant and they’d have to go out and buy me a fresh pair.”

Her parents indulged her all through school and college. “But,” she reveals, her eyes lighting up at the memory, “it was only after I became Miss India that the numbers really grew.”

So did the range of brands she picked up. She was traveling all over the world now and could get herself the designer shoes she’d always dreamt of. Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs, Guess, Bally, Diesel, Tommy Hilfiger and Esprit found their way to Celina’s dainty feet. So did some absolutely generic pairs. “The shoe has to catch my eye at first go,” says Celina. “If it does, I’ll buy it no matter what brand it is. Or how much it costs.”

So what’s the most she’s paid for a pair of shoes? “Can’t tell,” she says mysteriously.“But I don’t look at the price tag before picking up what I want.”

Are shoes on top of her shopping list every time she travels? But naturally. “When I go abroad, I get ready to shop the moment I’ve unpacked. And my first destination is a shoe mall. Hey, did I tell you I’ve also got an astounding collection of jootis and mojris from Rajasthan. And some of my shoes are made-to-order ones from the famous Chinese shoe-makers in Kolkata.”

Where on earth does she stock all her 825 pairs? “I have a special shoe closet at my home in Mumbai, but it’s just not big enough to store my entire collection. So I keep some of them in my parents’ home in Bangalore.”

Celina shows off some of the latest entrants in her shoe closet—sneakers, thongs, mules, sandals, slippers and boots in white, fuchsia pink and lime green, the hot colours this summer.

Now, how is she going to make place for more? What happens when a new pair arrives? “Well, I keep donating shoes to the Little Princess’ Association, which is a charity organisation run by the Times Foundation. My mother also gives some away to charities in Bangalore,” says Celina.

Any special care taken to look after all her shoes? “Absolutely,” she insists. “Each pair is wrapped individually in a light satin bag with my initials C.J. inscribed on it. And there’s a teeny-weeny peep-hole for me to see which shoe is in there. I put some moth balls in the bag and the closet. If the pair is pure leather, silica gel pouches are placed to avoid fungus formation. The favourite pairs are invariably kept in front so it’s easier to access. And the favourites also change each season.

Any favourites?“Of course,”she insist,’though they keep changing. The Marc Jacobs is a new favourite.Then I have these black knee-high boots with stilletto heels,which are not designer stuff, just a generic brand, but I absolutely love them.I could live in them in fact,I practically do.I’ve worn them so much even the rubber on one of the heels has worn out.But I wear them anyway.”

She’s so finicky about her footwear, she says, that she often ends up wearing her own in movies because she finds them better than the ones the costume department provides. Also, she has shades to match practically any outfit.

Expectedly, everybody keeps comparing her to the notorious Imelda Marcos whose collection ran into the thousands. While Celina doesn’t subscribe to Ms Marcos’ political ideology or approve of her methods in that area, she does confide, “Some day I want to have a museum for my shoes just like she has. That would really be something.”
Posted 16 Sep 2004

Rain Man says
lol...shoe lover, nice interview
Posted 16 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
ya
Posted 16 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
Posted 16 Sep 2004

Rain Man says
Posted 17 Sep 2004

sweetstuff says
Question 4
     Liberia is a country that is suffering from years of devastation and destruction all caused by civil warfare. The events that follow this stage of crisis, are what will ultimately predict the overall outcome of Liberia as a nation.
     Liberia has just stepped into it’s recovery stage on the Revolutionary Model and what happens next all determines the future. As the civil war, which usually takes place in the crisis stage, has just recently finished, the country is on it’s way past the crisis and onto recovery. The cycle of revolution is just about to be complete as things are quieting down and slowly returning to normal ways.
     The preliminary phase of the revolution lasted a long while, but was suddenly shattered with the death of President Tubman. With his death, many other things began to plunder. The economy went downhill, politically things became unstable, and all this promoted small shocks of violence as well. With the economy failing, and the many protests against the government, Liberia snuck into the first stage of revolution.
     Throughout the first stage, there were many protests against the government which showed the government’s inability to rule. There were anti-government demonstrations taking place and even assassinations of political leaders took place. Doe takes power as the head of state while things calm down a bit, until the arrival of Charles Taylor and his fleet.
     With the arrival of Charles Taylor, Liberia steps into the crisis stage of revolution as radicals finally take power of the government. It doesn’t take long for a grueling civil war to break out in Liberia. The civil war lasts for nearly seven years and manages to destroy what little hope there was for the country. Although many nations try to bring together the broken pieces of Liberia, their efforts do not prevail, and Liberia continues down the path of destruction.
     Things suddenly turn towards the brighter side as the civil war comes to an end. As the Abuja Accord is signed, the violence promises to be put to rest, and stability is on it’s way. Charles Taylor is the tyrant who is elected to rule, and he just causes more violence. But soon enough, he is taken out of power and in his place, the UN places Gyude Bryant who is politically neutral. With Gyude comes the path to recovery. This year an election will determine the future leader of Liberia, which will, in turn, determine the outcome of Liberia politically, economically, and socially.

Question 5 A
     All revolutions follow a similar pattern, but it is the events which occur in each that make each revolution significant in it’s own way.
     Russia and Liberia are two very diverse countries, yet both seem to follow the same pattern involving revolution. They follow a path which leads them to the development of something new for their nation. The two nations were fighting for the improvement of the political situations in their countries. Both nations were searching for reform in order to better their nation, but the ways in which they found these reforms is what makes each revolution significant.
     In Russia, the political scheme completely changes from an autocracy to a communist form of governing. Whereas in Liberia, no new form of governing has been introduced yet to run the country. Also, Russia’s civil war did not cause nearly as much damage as the civil war in Liberia which completely caused the economical, political, and social situation to nosedive in the nation. Lastly, while Russia has already followed it’s recovery stage, Liberia is yet to experience this phase of the revolution.
     China and Liberia both follow a similar pattern in order to develop their nations. Both countries see a fall in foreign investment as they are bogged down by incompetent rulers such as Empress Dixi and William Tolbert. With such baseless political figures, each country dies down economically and livens up violence as the order of the day. In China it was formed through the Boxer and Taiping Rebellions, and in Liberia it was through the anti-government demonstrations, all fighting for a better government to improve the conditions in which they were living in.
     In China though, there comes a savior quite quickly by the name of Mao Zedong, but in Liberia it takes a while for a new political leader with enough strength to help the nation flourish. Liberia is still awaiting that bud that will bloom into hope, but China has already seen this in the form of a new type of government, communism. China was able to reach it’s recovery stage, but Liberia is still processing through this very same stage in order to reach it’s final destination.

Question 5 B
     Liberia is a country that has been deeply affected by it’s political leadership for years. Every other aspect, whether violent or economic, has had a direct relationship to the political matters of the country. When a nation lacks political stability, chances are that the nation is not doing well with the violence or economic matters either.
     Due to the many changes of political leadership and the many different views that each one had, Liberia was unable to stabilize it’s political matters. This led to the fall in economy and the rise in violence. Power wasn’t just handed over; it had to be taken over. This usually meant the assassination of the previous political leader.
     Another issue to be dealt with in the political scheme involves the different types of governments put into place in order to rule Liberia. In the beginning, the slaves who had settled in Liberia from America wanted to build a political system modeling that of America’s. But this was just the minority of the nation, and the majority soon took over rule with the arrival of Tubman as president. During this time period, Tubman did his best to further the nation economically. But as soon as he died and another president came into power, all other aspects were shattered. This proved no other aspect or category of a nation could do well without the right political dealings involved.
     Once a correct leader is put in place, everything else tags right along with it. With bad leadership and political instability, Liberia went down a long, treacherous path towards doom. It was only until the intervention of the UN, where the UN placed a provisional government in place for a while, were they able to sail in calmer waters. With the arrival of UN appointed leader, Gyude Bryant, things are being stabilized in order to bring the country to a level where they could take decisions for themselves.
************************************************************ ************************

Question 5 C
     Liberia is a nation still undergoing many important changes that could determine its stability, as well as it’s future as a nation. In recent times, Liberia has crawled out of it’s crisis stage of revolution and has been slapped down it’s recovery platter. Liberia is yet to receive this platter fully and take advantage of it’s many rewards, although it is following that very same path.
     Liberia is yet to take off politically since the recent end of the shattering civil war. A transitional government has been put in place temporarily until the nation is prepared to take on the role of creating a new one. The decision will be made this year as elections are supposed to be held and new leaders are to be elected by the people of Liberia. A similar time had come in 2003 when Liberia was supposed to have a free election, but due to the intervention of the US in the election matters, the election never took place, and instead, Taylor was ousted as president and replaced by UN appointed Gyude Bryant. The elections are more likely to take place this year as compared to 2003. The US is not expected to intervene into matters, as the leadership by Bryant has done quite a lot in order to benefit the country.
     Economically, the country has a long way to go. This is due to the destroyed infrastructure and lack of foreign investment. The civil war has drained a lot from the country, and these are just a few of the elements it has taken with it. Unemployment is at a very high rate, and not much is being done about it. Due to the fact that the country has just recently been put under correcting political leadership, it will take a long while before a large amount of progress is scene. If the country chooses wisely for their leader in the upcoming elections, and that leader actually tries improving economic ties, then the economy will swing towards a high note. If a disabled political leader comes into play, then the economy could prove to be very hurtful towards the production of the mill.
     The potential for violence is always there in a nation where there is very little stability. Although many have tried to rid the nation of armed weapons, not everything has disappeared and it’s very likely that it could all resurface with a ruler who lacks leadership potential. Violence is still a language spoken in Liberia, and it’s also very hard to erase from the minds of those who have been speaking this language all along.
     It would be of Gianni Versace Design’s best interest not to produce a textile mill in the region of Liberia. It seems to be too big of a risk to place a mill in a region where political stability is not yet established, there is no sign of economic development or foreign investment, and that could truly be a hotspot for violence in the coming months with it’s national elections.
Posted 17 Sep 2004

Rain Man says
thanks for the link...

Posted 18 Sep 2004

Posted 18 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
nice
Posted 18 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
Posted 18 Sep 2004

Fairl_Girl says
shahrukh khan said: