earth quake

11031 views 298 replies
Reply to Topic
~dipsominiac~

Total Posts: 2352

Police and rescue workers at the site of a building that collapsed in Islamabad.

THIS IS MARGALLA TOWERS F-10 SECTOR ISLAMABAD.
A 10 STORY BUILDING WHERE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WERE LIVING AND DUE TO HOLIDAY IN SCHOOLS COZ TODAY IS SATURDAY ALMOST ALL OF CHILDREN WERE AT HOMES. SO WOMEN AND CHILDREN WERE THERE.... THESE ARE LIVING APARTMENTS...at the time of earth quake almost 200 people where inside

Toll rises in major Pakistan quake

Saturday, October 8, 2005; Posted: 4:00 a.m. EDT (08:00 GMT)

(CNN) -- At least 19 people were killed and hundreds more injured when a magnitude 7.6 earthquake centered near Islamabad, Pakistan, jolted residents of three countries as far as 400 miles away.

Frantic efforts to rescue survivors were underway in Islamabad, where an apartment building collapsed.

Elsewhere in Pakistan, preliminary reports indicate "widespread damage," particularly in Pakistan-controlled Kashmir and the country's northern area, Maj. Gen. Shauket Sultan, Pakistani army spokesman, told CNN.

But communication disruptions in those areas meant information was sketchy, he said. A helicopter rescue operation was launched.

Fourteen of those killed were in Pakistan, including a girl killed when her school was damaged in Rawalpindi, near Islamabad. Four others died in Manshera and nine in Pakistani-controlled Kashmir and the country's northern region, authorities said.

Police in Indian-controlled Kashmir reported five deaths -- three in the town of Baramulla and two in Srinagar. Also, about 150 people have gone to Srinagar hospitals with a combination of physical injuries and shock, police said. Nearly 200 houses in the region have been damaged by the quake.

Initial reports from Islamabad indicate that a two-block area was damaged, Pakistani Information Minister Shaikh Rashid Ahmad told CNN.

Video footage from Pakistani television showed crowds of people climbing on the rubble of the collapsed apartment building and attempting to free those trapped under large concrete slabs. Some of the injured were carried away on stretchers.

The temblor's epicenter was 60 miles (about 100 kilometers) north-northeast of Islamabad and more than six miles below the Earth's surface, according to the Web site of the U.S. Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center.

The quake, which struck about 8:50 a.m. local time (11:50 p.m. Friday EDT, 3.50 a.m. Saturday GMT), was believed to be the strongest in Pakistan in nearly 20 years. Many citizens were still in their beds at the time.

"My wife and I grabbed our daughter and ran outside immediately," Danny Kemp, deputy Islamabad bureau chief for Agence France-Presse, told CNN. Pine trees and light poles were shaking, he said. "I've never felt anything like it."

The quake was "quite shallow," said David Applegate, senior science advisor for earthquake and geologic hazards for the U.S. Geological Survey. "That means the shaking is going to be very intense."

The fact that Islamabad was near the epicenter "means a fairly large urban population has experienced some strong shaking," Applegate said.

There have been some initial aftershocks, he said, "and we expect quite a number more" -- some in the 6-plus magnitude range. Those aftershocks could cause additional damage to structures already weakened by the first quake, he said.

The largest of those, which struck less than an hour after the strongest quake., was measured at magnitude 5.9, according to the National Earthquake Information Center. Others included two 5.6-magnitude quakes and one at 5.4 magnitude, the center said.

Pakistan traditionally has been an active region for earthquakes, Applegate said. Saturday's quake was a "thrust" earthquake, caused by friction between the Indian subcontinent as it pushes against Asia. Although it is the same kind of mechanism that creates tsunamis, the quake was centered far enough inland that there was no danger of a tsunami, he said.

Aftershocks could continue for several days before beginning to decrease, Applegate said.

The quake was also felt in India and Afghanistan. In New Delhi, some 400 miles from Islamabad, buildings swayed and furniture moved, causing widespread panic among residents, many of whom rushed into the streets.

A 7.6 quake is classified as "major," according to the scale used by the center.

Japan's Meteorological Agency judged the quake's magnitude as a 7.8.

In February 2004, a pair of earthquakes registering 5.5 and 5.4 magnitude, respectively, killed at least 21 people and injured dozens more and destroyed hundreds of homes built of mud, stone and timber in a rugged, mountainous area about 90 miles northwest of Islamabad.

In January 2001, some 30,000 people died in a 7.7 quake in western India.

CNN Senior International Correspondent Satinder Bindra, CNN Producer Syed Mohsin Naqvi and Journalist Mukhtar Ahmed in Srinagar contributed to this report.
Posted 08 Oct 2005

ajj ALLAH NAIN HUMAIN BOHAAT BARA SABAK DIYA HAII
PLZZZZ GOD FORGIVE US
Posted 08 Oct 2005

exactly....
Allah hum sabkay gunah maaf farma k hum sab ko apnay hifzo aman main rakhay ameen suma ameen
Posted 08 Oct 2005

ameen sum ameen
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Police cover the body of an earthquake victim in Rawalpindi, Pakistan.

Thousands feared dead in quake
Darkness is hampering the search for survivors of a magnitude 7.6 earthquake that killed at least 856 people. Saturday's quake rocked parts of Pakistan, India, Afghanistan and the Pakistani- and Indian-administered areas of Kashmir. Officials warn the death toll could reach thousands.
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Damage is extensive, officials say

Hundreds die in South Asia quake
Pakistan says more than 1,000 people may have died in a powerful quake that also hit north India and Afghanistan.
The 7.6-magnitude quake with the epicentre 80km (50 miles) north-east of Islamabad wiped out several villages
At least 500 died in North-West Frontier province in Pakistan. More than 450 lost their lives in the disputed territory of Kashmir.

In Islamabad, people rushed to dig with bare hands to rescue those trapped when an apartment building collapsed.

Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, who was visiting the site, said the quake was a "test of the nation".
Posted 08 Oct 2005

Islamabad collapse

Part of the upmarket Margala Towers residential complex collapsed in Islamabad.

One rescuer, Rehmatullah, said: "I rushed down and for some time you could not see anything because of the dust... We pulled out one man by cutting off his legs."

Karam Usmani, a 28-year-old sub-inspector with Islamabad police told the BBC: "I heard the cries of the people in the debris and with my bare hands I started to dig and I pulled out one dead body.

"But I managed to rescue another man of 35 and carried him on my shoulders to the ambulance."

Posted 08 Oct 2005

Posted 08 Oct 2005

"I could only do one thing which was to pick people out of the rubble and with my bare hands I started to dig"

Karam Umrani
Islamabad police officer
Posted 08 Oct 2005

ashkhan says
allah ki qudrat, ka kehar bohot bhianak hota hai. sab say bara insan bhi chuha ho jata hai.
Posted 08 Oct 2005

true
Posted 08 Oct 2005

islamabad main bijli chamak rahi hai n badal garaj raha hai .... itnay din say sab barish maang rahay thay... but aj dil kar raha hai barish bilkul na ho coz itnay loog malbay kay neehcay dabbay hoay hain unka kiya ho ga... Allah ji plz is barish ko rook day jo anay wali hai ALLAH JI PLZZZZZZZZ....
BUHAT RONA AA RAHA HAI
Posted 08 Oct 2005

badal zoor say garaj raha hai... ALLAH PLZ BARISH NA HO PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ

SAB MIL KAY DUA MANGO NA
Posted 08 Oct 2005

isb main andhi chal pari hai... plz barish na ho... andhi yaheen ruk jaay
Posted 08 Oct 2005

BRISH SHORO HO GAYEE HAI ISB MAIN PLZ BARISH NA HO NA PLZ ALLAH JI PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ UN LOGON KA KIYA HO GA PLZ ALLAH JI PLZZZZZZ BARISH RUK JAAY PLZZZ
Posted 08 Oct 2005

OLAY PAR RAHAY HAIN TAIZ HAWA HAI...YALA BARI HAI PLZ ALLAH HELP ALL OF US SPECIALLY THOSE WHO ARE STUCK IN THERE
Posted 08 Oct 2005

WAFA says
Dipsominiac..ap appartment main rehte ho ya ??
Allah hum sab per aur jo musibat mian hay unki madad farmaye ameen beshak Allah hi sabse bara aur hum sab ka madadgar he..
Posted 08 Oct 2005

nahin but my house is very near to that building...
i guess 5 mins drive hai... ya shaid kam hai...

yaar yahan sakht barish hai n olay par rahay hain... kiya ho ga un logon ka jo phans gaay hain...
Posted 08 Oct 2005

WAFA says
nahi i wasnt talkin about margalla towers..i was just askin if u r in any buildin..coz kissi bhi bhuilding main rehna aj ki rat shai nahin...may Allah bless us..!
Posted 08 Oct 2005

u know wat.. margallah towers kay sath 2 aur living apartments hain jo proper multi story building hai...
woh khali karwa li theen k unko kuch ho gaya tu... aur woh loog samnay F9 park main baithay thay... ab socho is barish main na woh bahir baith saktay hain na hi building main ja saktay hain k kaheen phir na ho jaay

nahin i dont live in any building... no flats...

but i work in a 14 story building n monday ko jana bhi hai
Posted 08 Oct 2005

ashkhan says
my     4 ppl dead.
Posted 08 Oct 2005

see ARYONE channel
Posted 08 Oct 2005

ashkhan says
its been on all day
Posted 08 Oct 2005

they were showing how people are sitting out in da parks coz all hospitals are packed and they r getting medical facility in the parks now
Posted 08 Oct 2005

OMG

dude, i cant believe this happened!

this morning we all woke up for sehri and just turned on ptv and we were so shockkedd. and also, while we were watchin the LIVE news, over there, they all started shaking too!and then the lights went out, so they had 2 cancel the tranmission in the studios.

n yea some1 said b4, this IS a test from Allah(SWT).He is the most Almighty and can never be stopped. May Allah(SWT) bless us all-ameen.

n also, the people who died are lucky because they died in the month of Ramadan and will go to heaven

The Messenger of Allah, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam said :

"When it is the first night of Ramadahn the evil devils are chained. The gates of Fire are locked- not a single gate is opnened, and the gates of Paradise are opened"
Posted 09 Oct 2005

hmmmm
Posted 09 Oct 2005

shaista says

Khuda bas khair kare.
the death toll is just rising!!!

Posted 09 Oct 2005

BadShaH1 says
national trajedy
Posted 09 Oct 2005

hmmmm
Posted 09 Oct 2005