Reply to Topic
Shahrukh Khan

Total Posts: 43596

Shootout in Lahore

Sri Lankan cricketers injured in terror attack

Cricinfo staff

March 3, 2009

Security guards inspect a damaged vehicle after the firing in Lahore © AFP

Pakistan's status as an international sporting venue has come under doubt after masked terrorists attacked the team bus carrying Sri Lanka's cricketers to the Gaddafi stadium in Lahore on Tuesday morning. Five cricketers, including Mahela Jayawardene, the captain, and Kumar Sangakkara, his deputy, received minor injuries. Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paravitarana were also injured in the attack which killed six security men and two civilians.

The ongoing Lahore Test has been called off and the tour cancelled. Sri Lanka's cricketers were evacuated from Gaddafi stadium and taken to a nearby airbase from where they are to fly back to Colombo.

Mahinda Rajapaksa, Sri Lanka's president, condemned the "cowardly terrorist attack" and asked foreign minister Rohitha Bogollagama to fly to Pakistan to oversee the evacuation of the Sri Lankan players.

There have been terror strikes on the sidelines of cricket, but this is the first time players have been directly targeted. The attack is perhaps the first major strike against an international sporting team since Palestinian militants attacked Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics.

Security concerns in Pakistan

September 2001- New Zealand decide not to tour Pakistan following the September 11 attacks. West Indies and Australia then decide to move their games in Pakistan scheduled for later in the year to neutral venues in Colombo and Sharjah.
May 2002 - New Zealand cancel their tour of Pakistan after a bomb blast outside Karachi's Sheraton Hotel where they were staying.
March 2008 - Australia postpone their tour of Pakistan slated for the end of March as a result of security concerns.The decision was taken in the aftermath of Benazir Bhutto's assasination in December 2007.
August 2008 - Citing security concerns, five out of eight member nations of the ICC choose not to send their teams to Pakistan for the Champions Trophy scheduled for September the same year. As a result, the tournament is postponed until October 2009.
October 2008 - West Indies call off a proposed tour of Pakistan scheduled for November citing security concerns, a week after the West Indies Women had cancelled the Pakistan leg of their Asian tour.
December 2008 - The BCCI call off India's scheduled tour of Pakistan in 2009 following a directive from the government.
December 2008 - The PCB confirm that Sri Lanka will tour Pakistan after India decided not to after the Mumbai terror attack.
February 2009 - The ICC decide not to stage the 2009 Champions Trophy in Pakistan after some of the members expressed reservations about touring the country.

David Morgan, the president of the ICC, described Pakistan as "a very dangerous place" at present. Speaking about the World Cup, he said: "Things will have to change dramatically in Pakistan in my opinion if any of the games are to be staged there."I think that international cricket in Pakistan is out of the question until there is a very significant change, a regime change I guess."

The Sri Lanka cricketers were on their way to the Gaddafi stadium when their bus was attacked by 12 armed terrorists near Liberty market, Habibur Rehman, chief commissioner of police, said. A grenade was also thrown at the bus but it missed.

"The bus came under attack as we were driving to the stadium, the gunmen targeted the wheels of the bus first and then the bus," Mahela Jayawardene said. "We all dived to the floor to take cover. About five players have been injured and also Paul Farbrace [a member of the support staff]…"

Describing the injuries, Sangakkara told CNN-IBN: "Thilan [Samaraweera] has a shrapnel wound in his leg, but he is fine. [Tharanga] Paranavitana had shrapnel in his chest, but thank God it wasn't very deep and just on the surface.

"I had shrapnel injuries in my shoulder, but they have all been removed and I'm okay now. Ajantha [Mendis] had shrapnel in his neck and scalp, but he too has had medical attention and is fine. Everyone else is perfectly all right."

The reserve umpire Ahsan Raza was also injured in the attack. Nadeem Ghauri, the TV umpire, who was travelling in a bus behind the Sri Lanka team coach said the firing continued for some time. Umpire Steve Davis, who was on the team bus, called the terrorist attack "terrible". "I'm lost for words," he said.

Speaking on Geo TV, Inzamam-ul-Haq, the former Pakistan captain, said: "This is the first time that a cricket team has been seriously targeted... Pakistan's image will be hit and only time will tell how much damage has been done to Pakistan cricket. The World Cup too might be affected... no country would want to come now to Pakistan... I am worried where Pakistan will get a chance to play, not only in Pakistan but outside as well. This is all so sad."

In Napier, the New Zealand and Indian teams donned black arm bands midway through their one-day cricket match as a mark of respect for the Sri Lankan cricketers.

The Indian cricket board, which had called off a scheduled tour of Pakistan last December, expressed its sorrow over the attack. "We pray for the speedy recovery of the injured cricketers, and sympathise with their families and compatriots," BCCI Secretary N Srinivasan said in New Delhi.

Intikhab Alam, the Pakistan coach, said his team escaped the attack because "the Sri Lankan team left [the hotel] five minutes before us".

The Sri Lankan team only stepped in after the Indian government had barred the Indian team from touring Pakistan after the terror attack in Mumbai.

Posted 03 Mar 2009

Asian says
haan sub politics hai

no one cares for the common man in Pakistan
Posted 05 Mar 2009

Fallout of the Lahore attack

'Kill cricket, create terrorists,' warns Younis

'Kill cricket, create terrorists,' warns Younis

Alex Brown

March 4, 2009

Younis Khan has warned that, without cricket, extremism in Pakistan will grow © AFP

Younis Khan has appealed to cricket's administrators to save the game in Pakistan, or risk pushing future generations into the clutches of terrorists. The Pakistan captain fears that an extended boycott by touring teams could lead to a dramatic decline in interest and participation in cricket among the nation's youth. That, in turn, could invite corrupting influences to fill the void that might otherwise have been occupied by sport, Younis argued.

"Our future as a nation is in our youngsters' hands," Younis told Cricinfo. "Sport helps to make good human beings. If the sport is not there, the children can do silly things. We have to be very careful about that. Nobody wants to see children going down a bad path and finding themselves involved with bombs and things like that. We all must do something to stop that happening.

"Maybe in the future we will be alone [as a cricketing nation] and that would be very sad, especially for the youngsters. When I was a boy, I loved watching Imran Khan, Javed Miandad and Wasim Akram playing against great teams from overseas. It is because of them - seeing them play - that I also played the game. But what if no one comes to Pakistan? How will the youngsters know about the game? What will they do?

"I appeal for all the bosses and the ICC not let cricket die here. They must think about all the factors, including what will become of the youngsters of Pakistan. It would be very easy right now for the ICC and the bosses to say there will be no cricket in Pakistan. But the future will not be good if cricket is taken away from my country."

Younis, and his entire team, remain shocked and saddened at the attack on the Sri Lankan team and ICC officials in the shadows of the Gaddafi Stadium. He was just six days removed from completing a career-best innings of 313 - the third-highest total recorded by a Pakistani batsman in the team's 57-year history - and had been buoyant at the prospect of again locking horns with Sri Lanka on a more sporting Lahore pitch.

But in 30 terrifying minutes on Tuesday, everything changed. The attack on the Sri Lankan and ICC buses, which left eight security and transportation personnel dead, will almost certainly ensure a blanket boycott by touring teams for the foreseeable future, and force the Pakistani team into a nomadic existence.

Our future as a nation is in our youngsters' hands. Sport helps to make good human beings. If the sport is not there, the children can do silly things - Younis Khan issues a warning about Pakistan's future

Younis expressed concern that, should Pakistan be denied the opportunity of hosting matches in the long-term, players could abandon the national team in search of career opportunities in Indian Twenty20 leagues or county cricket.

"I have seen a lot in my career," he said. "At the last World Cup, Bob Woolmer died and that was a terrible thing. Then, just after I had been made the captain, we have this shocking attack. This is a very bad time in Pakistan. It feels that every day we go backwards, not forwards. We have not experienced anything like this before.

"If something is not done quickly, maybe everyone goes to the IPL, ICL or county cricket. I hope that does not happen. It is up to the ICC and the bosses from around the world to make sure that cricket is not lost in Pakistan because of a couple of mad people. It is not the sportsmen's fault.

"I met with the Sri Lankan team before they flew home and had dinner with them. They were very sad about what was happening to cricket. Cricket is suffering. Sport is one of the only things that brings countries closer and now, because of a few idiots - people who use guns and bombs are not human - no one might come here and we could be all alone."

Younis pledged his loyalty to the Pakistan team for the entirety of his career, but admitted to sadness at the prospect of leading his country in neutral venues - possibly England, which has emerged as a potential host on account of a large ex-pat Pakistani community.

"I will stand by this team," he said. "I love my team and my nation. I have played the last ten years for Pakistan, and I probably have another three or four to go. I want to give those years to the Pakistan team.

"I would love to play Australia in Pakistan, but that is difficult. It will be a new experience for me as captain leading my team in a home game against Australia in England. I will look at it two ways - I will be sad because my home series is in England, but also excited to play on the good pitches of England against a very good Australian team.

"The Pakistani nation loves sports, and especially cricket. The crowds are big everywhere. They love coming to see all the great teams from England, Australia, India, Sri Lanka. The problem had already started with Australia and India not playing here, but now it is much worse, and we don't know if anyone will come here to play us."
Posted 05 Mar 2009

oodbalow says
sun_shine said:

*May be its a Political plan or something else.

no it was certainly not it was a security lapse indeed
Posted 05 Mar 2009

sun_shine says
*yaa Right
poori zimedaari Govt pe aati hain aur aani Bhi chahiye
ek Tv channel pe aik Msg tha k
"Govt 16 Players ki hifazat na kar saki tho 16 crore awaam ki kya hifazat karaigi"Lolz
sirf 12 boys Itni bari Headlines bana gaye...!
Posted 05 Mar 2009

oodbalow says
Asian said:

haan sub politics hai

no one cares for the common man in Pakistan

u r 100% right that no one here in Pak cares for the commom man par common man ko kuttay ney kata hai jo woh ja k baar baar usi ko vote deta hai jo us ko baar baar laat marta hai
Posted 05 Mar 2009

Asian says
they're asking why pak team was not in convoy

its totally political
Posted 05 Mar 2009

Jab tak Zardari hai tab tak pata nahi kya kya hoga
Posted 05 Mar 2009

oodbalow says
sun_shine said:

*yaa Right
"Govt 16 Players ki hifazat na kar saki tho 16 crore awaam ki kya hifazat karaigi"Lolz

bilkul Govt. ki zimmadari thi protection povide karna lakin Govt. k leyey top priority par us waqt "sasta tandoor" talaash karna tha

12 boys n they were well planned n trained

Govt. ko 16 crore awaam se kuch lena dena nahi here i must say aesi awaam par lanat ho jo aesi Govt. laati hai
Posted 05 Mar 2009

oodbalow says
Asian said:

they're asking why pak team was not in convoy

its totally political

half team so kar nahi uthi thi kuch members washoom main they younas khan ki begum parathey paka rahi thi shoaib akhtar keh raha tha main fry nahi omelette khaoun ga baray masley masaiel they pak team k saath
Posted 05 Mar 2009

oodbalow says
Shahrukh Khan said:

Zardari to kehta hai k main Shahrukh Khan ka buhat bara fan hoon
Posted 05 Mar 2009

sun_shine says
oodbalow said:

sun_shine said:

*yaa Right

bilkul Govt. ki zimmadari thi protection povide karna lakin Govt. k leyey top priority par us waqt "sasta tandoor" talaash karna tha

12 boys n they were well planned n trained

Govt. ko 16 crore awaam se kuch lena dena nahi here i must say aesi awaam par lanat ho jo aesi Govt. laati hai

*Yaa Right jee...!
Posted 05 Mar 2009

oodbalow said:

Shahrukh Khan said:

Zardari to kehta hai k main Shahrukh Khan ka buhat bara fan hoon

nahi usko janwar zyada pasand hain
Posted 05 Mar 2009

Butt accuses Broad of lies on security..

Butt accuses Broad of lies on security

Cricinfo staff

March 5, 2009

Ijaz Butt: "That a gentleman of his [Chris Broad's] stature is saying this is unfortunate." © AFP

Ijaz Butt, the PCB chairman, has accused Chris Broad of lying in claiming that security was lax for the visiting team and officials in Lahore.

Broad said on Wednesday that players and officials arriving for the Test were not provided sufficient protection despite assurances given by the PCB.

Butt, though, disputed Broad's account. "It is a big lie that there were no policemen. A commando jumped over Broad and saved his life. The commando was hurt so if there was no policeman, how come Broad was saved?

"All his [Broad's] statements are false. He has now made obnoxious comments. That a gentleman of his stature is saying this is unfortunate," he told reporters in Lahore. "He says there was no policemen there [but] I think there could be no bigger lie than this because six policemen died and ten are injured.

"Our people have also been injured. We lost six policemen who were trying to protect the cricketers and the match officials. So if some one is complaining about just a scratch, then it is very sad."

The PCB, he said, would lodge a formal protest with the ICC against Broad, who was the ICC's match referee for the Test between Pakistan and Sri Lanka in the city.

But Broad's account of events was backed by umpire Simon Taufel. "I'm angry we were isolated, I'm angry we didn't get the same amount of security the playing staff got, and I'm angry that in our hour of need, we were left on our own," he said. Simon Davis, the other umpire, went out of his way to praise Broad's actions during the attack.

Dominic Cork, who was in Lahore working for the media at the time of the attack, reacted angrily to Butt's comments. "If Butt believes the security was good enough for international sportsman then he is wrong," he said. "He should live and die by the words he came out with ... he is completely and utterly out of order. When they were getting the teams out of there I witnessed Butt sitting down and doing absolutely nothing."

Butt also denied suggestions of a conspiracy in the attack that singled out foreign players and officials. "It is wrong to suggest that. The same security procedure was followed," he said. "The Pakistan team used to leave at the same time as the Sri Lankan team and other officials, but somehow or the other on that day they got a bit late.

"There a two high powered investigations going on [and] I think we should not do witch-hunting. Let's not fool ourselves and our country, let the report come out. A lot of allegations are being made [and] instead of putting the blame on each other I think we should wait."

Wasim Bari, the PCB's director of HR and administration, also brushed off claims of slack security. "Let the investigations conclude then we will get to know what were the security lapses."
Posted 05 Mar 2009

oodbalow says

Posted 05 Mar 2009

Posted 07 Mar 2009

oodbalow says
Posted 07 Mar 2009

The Bus Driver Who Saved The Sri Lankans

LAHORE: There was no match but plenty of applause around Qadhafi Stadium on the day. Six brave policemen laid down their lives so that the visiting Sri Lankan cricketers could return home safe. And no less heroic was the feat of Mahar Mohammad Khalil, the bus driver who sped the visitors to safety after the vehicle they were travelling in was ambushed at around 8:50am on Tuesday.

Khalil was later showered with praise and cash awards as he met the members of the Sri Lankan team but perhaps nothing could match the satisfaction he must have felt when he brought the visitors to safety in the morning.

‘It happened all of a sudden,’ the gritty driver recalled in a talk with Dawn. ‘Thank God the rocket fired at the bus missed the target. The next moment, a man came out from a white car and threw two hand grenades towards us. The grenades rolled under the bus but did not explode. Then a second man came out of the same car and opened fire at us.’

Khalil said just then he heard Dr Muqaddar, the liaison officer to Sri Lanka team, shouting loudly. ‘He asked me to step on the gas and flee. The voice recharged me,’ he said. ‘It was as if I had received a 400-watt jolt. We made a dash towards the Gaddafi Stadium and thankfully reached it quickly. It was only when we were there that I found out that some players had been injured.’

Khalil was fortunate that half of the windscreen of his bus on the driver’s side was bullet-proof. Two bullets hit the screen but they failed to pierce the glass. Another bullet went through the other half of the windscreen. Had he been hit, not only his own security but that of the whole Sri Lankan team would have been compromised.

Mahar Khalil dismissed the impression that the attack took place due to a security lapse. ‘The security was strict and the policemen exchanged fire with the terrorists. That so many of the policemen were killed is a proof of their commitment,’ he reasoned.

PCB chairman Ijaz Butt told Dawn that the Sri Lankan players wanted to thank Khalil in person for keeping his composure in the face of adversity and saving their lives.

Khalil later went to the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) Mess where the Sri Lankans had been taken to before flying out of Lahore. Sources said that upon meeting him the Sri Lankan players hailed the brave driver as their saviour and lavished him with cash prizes as a token of their gratitude.
Posted 08 Mar 2009

The Real Hero
Posted 08 Mar 2009

intelligence report k bawajod yeh sab hona boht sharamnaak hai...
in logon ko apni seat bachanay ki pari howi hai... mulk mai kya ho raha hai... in ko kya lagay...
Posted 09 Mar 2009

valandrian says
bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309
bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309
bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309bd15309
bd15309
Posted 16 Apr 2018

Posted 26 Sep 2018

Reply to Topic