pakistanis overseas - eapecially in west

4469 views 67 replies
Reply to Topic
Bazigaar

Total Posts: 40761

r they (offcourse not all, but most) not forgetting their true values and culture?
Posted 12 Jun 2005

LiL_DollY says
Bazigaar said:

r they (offcourse not all, but most) not forgetting their true values and culture?

I took a course called....child in a diverse society.

Very interesting.

but basically...I was borna nd raised in the west...as everyone probably alreayd knows by now. But the way we were raised in a strict environment. SPeaking Punjabi at home. WEaring shalwar kameez when we got back from school. We prayed...all 5 prayers and if we didnt we got in trouble. We had ptv on in the house all the time.

We fasted during ramadan. Celebrated Eid. WE did everyhting.
You nameit we did it. Very cultural fmaily.

No one in my fmaily is a confused desi yet.

But there are some traditions that I would not carry on to my children.

-like arrnaged marriage...unless they wanted it
-too much strictness...a parent should be authoritative not authoritarian

I would carry on everythign else...
Eveyrone has their own style and way of doing things...and it becomes their own tradition and culture.

My children will be American Pakistani's
But not confused Desi's
Posted 01 Jul 2005

I wanna raise my children as American Muslims without any flavors of paki or saudi or malay traditions. I want them to learn their religion in its origional form and in its original language.

What is paki culture - a mix of hindu and western traditions! Who's more confused than desis themselves. They (only mean those who do it)wana live and look like westerners and carry on with paki traditions - double jeoperdy! They pray and worship only in rituals.

its all about show-off!
Posted 01 Jul 2005

LiL_DollY says
You have an interesting view
Posted 06 Jul 2005

and just how interesting is it!
I mean from which perspective?
Posted 06 Jul 2005

LiL_DollY says
From your perspective it is interesting

because at times of my life...I walsy wished that even though my pakistani parents were praying five times a day...and teaching us siblings quran...

that they also practiced Islam in other ways...

Meaning put Islam first and Not the culture...

And yet thats the way your thinking...

right>
Posted 06 Jul 2005

LiL_DollY says
as for the groups up top

I think...personal opinion
I fit into #3
than any other

although I do watch paki movies
sometimes
and listen to desi music...

But Im still more #3

Posted 06 Jul 2005

Bazigaar says
i dunno where i fit...
Posted 06 Jul 2005

LiL_DollY says
bazi....ahem ahem...
your a mixture #2 (mostly) and #3
pllus #1

I dunno
figure it out
Posted 06 Jul 2005

Bazigaar says
i know..i am all mixed up... 1, 2, 3 and maybe more
Posted 06 Jul 2005

LiL_DollY says
yeah i think so too
Posted 06 Jul 2005

LiL_Dolly, I wanna give my children the pure Islam so they will attach to its sources. In present day situation it is needed. In the time you were growing up, in 80's (I don't know how old you are) Desi parents in US were busy raising children as Desi Americans. Objective was to build a religious safety net around children who valued rituals and performed physical actions of prayers and suffered hunger & thirst in Ramadhan but it never was captured in their hearts. This was to prevent children from melting in the pot.
Posted 06 Jul 2005

LiL_DollY says
^cool...
I was actually born in the 80's
but its all good.

Carry on...
I wanna hear more..

sorry...
you just capture my attention so well
you'd make a great role model for young Muslims.
Posted 06 Jul 2005

Thanks so very much for lending me your ears! It'ld be my pleasure to coach young Muslims to correct understanding of the religion - balanced and far from any extremism.
Posted 07 Jul 2005

LiL_DollY says
Im ready...
go on...Bro
Posted 08 Jul 2005

Mr_jinnah says
Shahenshah said:

i am a pakistani overseas. (living in holland). i havent forgot my culture, my values not 1 bit. I am more pakistani then my family in pakistan. i think the people in pakistan are forgetting their values (not all off course). partly becoz of bollywood and partly becoz pakistanis dont have the feeling of unity and are not patriotic enough. and many more reasons
Posted 28 Sep 2005

you wld be immediately labelled as backward, orthodox, and uneducated.
Posted 28 Sep 2005

ashkhan says
well who cares if you r labelled that thats good of u making ur own id, i dont giva when it comes to what is right, i dont care what ppl label me as, i ll jus say u f'in bigri hui khotay ki ass. u id less, mindless person, bata tu kon hai?
kehtay hain na kawa hans ki chal chala, apni chal bhol gia.
jo apni id bholtay hai, un kay as pas walon say pochoy keh app kon hain, woh kehtay hain originally sometin else, aur woh log apnay app ko paki kehtay nahi, shame onu ppl.
iam an expat, and what? proud to b a paki.

u can b any nationality u want, dont mean u forget wat ur roots r. dont have to boast bout them by being an extremist be an individual.
expats have more values than ppl in paki land, cos
1) here in the uk everyday u hear things about forced mariges, and british asians being confused.
2) i met a girl at uni who totally shattered my idea of a girl from pakistan. she was her on study from pakistan, and within a yr she had changed her religeon, she was an atheist. and she was tellin me exples of ppl from pakistan and she called me all those things, backward. well i think she were plain herself. she were respect less and everything. hate her.
so ppl in pakistan are very much british, amrican and indian wannabees. we need to get a life.
like all these societies we should creat a personality of ourselfves.
Posted 29 Sep 2005

ashkhan says
so that ppl wanna b us, rather than we trying to b someone else.
Posted 29 Sep 2005

BadShaH1 says
pakis in pak arent changing their values.
Posted 29 Sep 2005

you can't tell from there my friend. Stay out for a while and then check-in, you will see it all.
Posted 29 Sep 2005

ashkhan says
just cos expats live outside of pakistan doesnt mean we are bay-kha-bar of the happenings in pakistan.
Posted 29 Sep 2005

BadShaH1 says
I do not think we have left our embedded traditions that far.The age is changing and yes it is affecting our society too.
Posted 29 Sep 2005

Values in Pak have changed in a decade more than anyone could imagine. Westernization in thought (I mean -ve impact of it only) and approach to life style have made our original and root values obsolete. You can see its reflection on general apperance. Element of haya have given way to obscenity. Things of shame have become things of pride and honor. Sinful acts have become so common, they are now a norm and accepted behavior.

While saying all this, I do not mean there hasn't been any improvement in any quarters of country or that all is evil. This is to sum up a general trend in paki society.
Posted 30 Sep 2005

Mr_jinnah says
Smooth_daddy said:

Why is that? plz explain.
Posted 01 Oct 2005

BadShaH1 says
Smooth_daddy said:

Values in Pak have changed in a decade more than anyone could imagine. Westernization in thought (I mean -ve impact of it only) and approach to life style have made our original and root values obsolete. You can see its reflection on general apperance. Element of haya have given way to obscenity. Things of shame have become things of pride and honor. Sinful acts have become so common, they are now a norm and accepted behavior.

While saying all this, I do not mean there hasn't been any improvement in any quarters of country or that all is evil. This is to sum up a general trend in paki society.

westernization has affected every country in the world.
Posted 01 Oct 2005

ashkhan says
it was no surprise for them cos their society isnt very much different than it is, except the khula-an of it now. woman were very much mixed with men, and stuff look at king henry the 8th all his affairs and stuff that is what their society has always been like, so it were bound to change. where as our has never been like that, our reliegon has always been with our hearts that had till now stopped us from doing wrong things, but by the looks of it ppl know are taking extremw advantage of it and almost disrespecting our religeon and giving it a bad name.
Posted 01 Oct 2005

Mr_Jinnah said:

Smooth_daddy said:

Why is that? plz explain.

Becuz your thoughts are of old timers - i don't mean to put you on the spot, anyone with such thoughts and values considered backward in Pakistan.

Ashkhan, I agree, I care less about what people think and label us with. My point is that labelling and name calling pushes people back from the right thing. This is what I see in America. youngsters shy away from islam and good values becuz with those values they won't fit-in the cirlces. They become outcast and lonely.
Posted 06 Oct 2005

ashkhan says
true cos they have lost track of identity. they think what shines is gold. thats not true, if u shine then ur gold.

to b gold have confidence and b true to yourselves.
Posted 06 Oct 2005

somebody needs to instil this idea in their heads.
Posted 17 Oct 2005

LiL_DollY says
I need my mentor overseas...
the paki one
by the name of.....
hmmm....
smooth bro
I want all your knowledge influenced on me
Posted 17 Oct 2005

Reply to Topic