Waqar Younis gives himself a year

1593 views 33 replies
Reply to Topic
jason statham

Total Posts: 2999

Waqar Younis, the former Pakistan captain who was dropped after their first-round exit from the World Cup earlier this year, has given himself a year to fight his way back into the national side before he retires.

Waqar, 32, hit out at suggestions that he should retire immediately, and said he had high hopes of making a comeback. "No-one can force me to retire and I won't listen to anyone," he told reporters, "and no-one in the Pakistan Cricket Board has told me to retire because I feel I can play for one more year."

Shortly before flying to Australia, where he is to play some grade cricket, Waqar added: "I have had a good year with Warwickshire this year and hope I get another chance to play with them next year so I can fight back into the team."

Waqar, who once formed a deadly bowling partnership with the now-retired Wasim Akram, was among eight players axed after the February-March World Cup in southern Africa. An official report blamed Waqar for his obstinate handling of the team, and said he did not co-operate with other players.

But Waqar refused to be drawn on the report's findings. "It was disappointing to lose the way we did in the World Cup, but it's not new in Pakistan," he said. "I don't want to be drawn into any controversy because I am still playing."

Waqar, who has taken 373 wickets in 87 Tests, plus 416 in one-day internationals, insisted that a comeback was still on the cards. "I don't want to come [back] as captain and am ready to stage a comeback as a player."

He said he had recently held a meeting with Ramiz Raja, the chief executive of the Pakistan Cricket Board and a former team-mate. "I met Ramiz but it was nothing unusual," said Waqar. "I will be back in Pakistan and will surely play in some of the domestic tournaments."

Posted 08 Oct 2003

jani420 says
Yeh Wasim Akram ko jail mein kiss ne bund kiya hai
Posted 03 Nov 2003

Rain Man says
miene.

aise hi gussa aagaya tha ispe
Posted 03 Nov 2003

jani420 says
okais
Posted 06 Nov 2003

Reply to Topic