MYTHBUSTER

11723 views 240 replies
Reply to Topic
ricky boy

Total Posts: 324

this is an article from this sundays edition of 'daily jang' which of course is a paki newspaper..thought u d be interested...read on, it s kinda longish

India's new breed of films: breaking taboo barriers

"There is no such thing as adult movies now. Television and Internet has changed all that," says Usha Nayyar, a social researcher at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai.

By Mohsin Jaffri

With the dawn of information age, computer-links multiplying, Internet capability reaching new heights, data bank capacity going beyond imagination and visual clips on all subjects abound; what is there that can be veiled from the eyes of whoever surfs the web of his choice. In the knowledge field, the distinction between what a young person can grasp and an adult can understand is narrowing to the extent of becoming meaningless. The impact of this new revolution is more effective in the third world and developing countries where people, in the past, were allowed only 'controlled' information and access to the highly advanced social and cultural concepts were rigidly denied. That is no more possible now. The ruling authorities in some countries, India being one, has accepted the reality and are learning to bow down to 'free media environment'.

In this revolution, the western social and cultural concepts of 'right to choose' for adults and 'sex' taken as normal activity removed all the barriers from under the traditional stronghold of 'taboo'. Also, within this concept and a new approach to free market economy, 'whatever is sellable shall be sold', women found that a 'good figure and face' has a value in market. This helped women (talented and not-so-talented) take advantage of market economy and achieve economic independence.

In India, where women were trapped in centuries old traditions and were made to follow in the footsteps of mythological 'daasi' characters, women were subdued as "born to serve". But all this is changing now. With greater access to education (educational centres, school and colleges multiplying) and more open policy allowing foreign media to enter freely in India, young generation now seem to have more confidence in discussing, tackling such issues that were taboo just a decade ago. India, much ahead in Information Technology compared to its neighbours is also far ahead in accepting the revolution and meeting it. And it takes a positive route by accepting the challenge and implementing liberal policies to create a progressive environment.

India's censor policy has also gone through a complete overhaul. What was a complete no-no some years ago has not only become acceptable but is seen in a respectful vein - and not a mere cheap thrill.

There was a time when a film like Ram Teri Ganga Maili in which an attempt was made (daring for the time) to break taboo subject of sex (explicit encounters outside marriage) but didn't succeed. It actually raised quite a hue and cry. The audience not only felt uneasy but angry too. But a decade and a half later with the young generation better educated, well informed and with access to cultural environments of the western world and entering a liberal age in their own country accepted a highly sex-oriented film like Kama Sutra. Some so-called fundamentalists did create commotion but that was all. This was a courageous attempt and opened the way for 'free and frank' discussions on big and small screens both on taboo subjects.

India adopted a policy of 'liberalism in its true spirit'. She allowed women to come out in the open and choose and define their own role in the society. This helped the Indian women to emerge as 'reborn', accepting new challenges and creating a respectable place for themselves in society. The Indian film industry revitalised with the introduction of highly educated young girls and young men joining the industry, moved towards more open policy. With 'nothing barred' concept and stories, the image and quality of the screen became open and progressive.

Two films, Hey Ram and Gadar, took up the tricky subject of the division of India and birth of Pakistan. This was again for the first time that subject like this (sensitive to good neighbourly relation) was put on screen. Now, with mature and more educated audience, Indian film industry attempted another sensitive and taboo subject in Kya Kehna a story revolving around a single unwed mother, which turned into a box-office success - a subject that could not have been discussed in the open only a decade ago became a big-screen production. Another daring subject about 'live-in relationship' was filmed with the title Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai. This too managed to pull crowds without any agitation, fuss or criticism.

Anupama Chopra, a film commentator for the weekly newsmagazine India Today, says, "I think the biggest change is the way films have started dealing with relationships. It has become more natural and realistic." Indian women with newly found confidence through education and economic opportunities in job markets felt at ease with some of the taboo barriers removed and entered the new liberal environment with full confidence. In 'new mood society' taking the bull by the horn, more experiments were taken in. Another film Fire, based on 'relationship between two women' drew big crowds. Fire was produced by former actress Deepa Mehta who reasoned the choice of the subject on the grounds that there should be no dark corners in society that people shouldn't know about. Deepa Mehta's courage in tackling a taboo issue was appreciated by many liberal social groups and the film received critical approval. Soon another film being produced by Kalpana Lajmi (yet to be titled) would be in the market bringing the environment of the ancient city of Khajuraho, famous for its sexually explicit sculptures.

In a survey carried out in India, asking what the new generation of cinemagoers want, the reply was "something new reflecting the changes that are taking place and certainly not the old stuff". It is a known fact that India's film industry is the largest in the world. It produces on an average 160 films in Hindi (Urdu) and around 650 films in various provincial languages annually.

Indian film industry is now fully developed with the best technology related equipments, skilled computer animations, highly educated actors and actresses and fully skilled dancers (classical and modern). The demand for Indian films in foreign markets of the east and west is growing fast. Every thing begins from home, according to one estimate, the cinemagoers in India stand around 60 million per day; this has helped the industry to grow tremendously and to enter export market too.

The Indian film industry, film stories, subjects and issues being handled, and the new liberalism reflect that Hollywood is dead and Bollywood has come of age. Whether it means better cinema or not, only time will tell, one can safely assume that 'trite' could take a break for a while till the audience explore cinema that is unconventional, realistic and is closer to life.

Posted 09 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
still enemies.

kane's on raw as a heel, and 'taker's on smackdown as a babyface.

i just want triple h 2 get his title back. lol.
Posted 17 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
look what we have done to ricky's topic....
Posted 17 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. he's the one who changed the topic himself. he asked me if i wanted 2 make movies. lol.
Posted 17 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
poor guy...hahalolo lol where is he?
Posted 17 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. beats me....
Posted 19 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
???? he had beaten yo up?lol
Posted 19 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
HA-HA. no he didn't 'beat me up.'

i meant i don't know where he is. beats me...

anyhow mr. death....they locked the topic of junoon. i have no idea why. so since this topic is already off-topic, we'll continue here. lol.

u said adnan sami's album is the album of the year. great. that was not my point. my point was this: u said junoon was a one song group, and you're wrong. if they were a one song group their latest album would not sell 1 million copies in the FIRST MONTH of relese in pakistan ALONE. lord knows how many more were sold in india, europe, north america and the rest of the world. and i asked u 2 name me an asian BAND who has sold more records than junoon. instead u gave me the 'album of the year.' lol.

secondly, u didn't answer my question. u talk abt fact books....look at your book 2. why is pooja bhaat asking them 2 do music 4 her movie?? if they're 'out' like u say they are, then you're precious bolly would not ask, right?? i'll close with this, which not only proves my point but also puts an end 2 this discussion (hopefully): pappu yaar (mr. death)....tang na kar. lol.
Posted 19 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
first of all congraz in advance for nearin to 1000 posts.,..

let me tell ya.. that tera chehra was sold out thrice..

T-Series is now producing its foruth lot.. we are 110 corors.. even the whole pak buys a album ... i not a match to one sold in india..

anyways... pooja bhatt is usin them jus becoz her father.. mahesh bhatt.. belive in good indo-pak relation.. i read this in his article.. he thinks... we need to jointly produce music...

i will continue this topic... but i jus wanna know. that a new album named aaroh is of junoon or not?

Posted 20 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
first things first thank you (1000 posts)!

yaar...i'm not doubting adnan sami's album. but u also have 2 understand, his album has been out for a while now (1 year i think). junoon's album has only been out for one month. when their album is as old as adnan sami's is right now, they'll surely equal his sales. and besides, adnan sami is also originally pakistani! so either way we shine when it comes 2 music, i'm sure u would agree.

which brings me 2 my next point...pooja bhaat's father. i admire him for promoting peace. don't u agree with him?? he seems like a smart man. he knows we know how 2 create magic when it comes 2 music and u guys make magic when it comes 2 movies. so why not collaborate and promote peace between india/pakistan even if its in this minor way?! sounds good 2 me.

as 4 aaroh, no its not a junoon album. aaroh is actually a different band altogether! why'd u ask?!
Posted 20 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
actully...i saw a add of aaroh in the pirated vcd of khel..
and... becoz the quality of vcd is too bad.. i was not able to see the faces clearly... one of them looks like a members of junnoon.. thats why i asked..

anyways.. pakistaan has produced many great musicians and singers... i like them all... no doubt on that..

hey i jus wanna know.. who is this hadiqa qiani.?? i like her face... and voice,,,

Posted 21 Oct 2003

vikram says
pooja bhatt signed junoon because they spend most of the time in india. if they get more offers from there they will settle down there like adnan sami. pakistan might produce good musicians , every country does. but whats interesting is that everyone of them wants to hop on teh india music bandwagon cause they are not allowed that freedom in ur community.
Posted 21 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
whatever u say assclown (vikram). india has no music bandwaggon, retard. pakistan owns that industry. as 4 pooja bhatt - she asked junoon cause she OBVIOUSLY has good taste in music. why settle for kraft dinners (anu malik etc.) when u can have steak and potatoes (junoon)?

mr. death, hadiqa kiyani is a pakistani singer. she was the voice behind 'boohay baariyan.' kick-ass song, wouldn't u agree?! and u're right yaar...she looks good 2!
Posted 21 Oct 2003

vikram says
ok this guy is a fool or he is on drugs. in your society music is haraam. musicians are ostracised. junoon gave an interview on national tv in india sayin teh atmosphere is not at all conducive for musicians to thrive in pakistan. thats why they love coming to india. i was just quoting them. or adnan sami. u should hear him talk when he rips ur countries social fabric apart. india is where the money is, the glamour is and recognition is and of course our babes . junoon is a good band , no doubt but unfortunately for them they just belong to the wrong country. 6 months in a year they are in india cause they are given respect and are compensated adequately andnot threatened and ridiculed as ur society is so intolerant. read teh newspaers before u comment.
Posted 22 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
our musicians are ostracized??? get real son. they're idolized.

secondly, no doubt our musicians come 2 india 4 many reasons - the main one being, they are ASKED 2 COME (and give a taste of some REAL music to your musically deprived country). bottom line: they come to india as PAKISTANI's and with the exception of one (adnan sami) they (happily) LEAVE AS PAKISTANIS.

as 4 the atmosphere not being conducive in pk, u've CLEARLY misinterpreted what junoon allegedly said. ofcourse u'll have naysayers who will hastle entertainers and magnify their mistakes/flaws 4 whatever reason. they exist in EVERY field in EVERY country - india included. if this is what being ostracized means, then yeah...musicians in pk and the world over are ostracized big time. the ones in pk get it twice as much tho, cause we're expected to produce top quality - and we damn sure get it.

as 4 money, glamour, recognition and even broads...its ALL in pakistan's music industry son. again, our artists go 2 india cause they're asked and it gives them a chance 2 make some xtra coin. not 2 get these things mentioned above.

you're just jealous u're country doesn't have a band or a singer worthy of even tuning up a pakistani musician's guitars or tablas - hence your retarded comments.
Posted 22 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
vikaram boss.. there is no use fighin with nfak.. he is too good at that..lol

anyways.. yes nfak.. i like that song too... actully i saw that song ... thats why i asked that.... kick butt song
Posted 22 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. yaar mr. death i'm not fighting. u and i were discissing casually and then this guy makes a baseless inane comment and asks for an argument. i have an obligation 2 tell it like it is!

u live in india right mr. death? any sign of bally sagoo/nusrat fateh ali khan's album 'magic touch 2'?? just curious....
Posted 22 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
no not yet...

but i heard abt some indian ppl realesing a album full of nusrats hits...

jus wanna ask yo one more thing... tell me the name of the handsome guy who sung the ...'haar gayee." song..

he is very youg.. i wanna know his name..thx.
Posted 22 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
sounds good.

i'm not 100% sure but i think his name's shehzad roy.
Posted 23 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
ya ya... he is the one... so is he a hindu...??? i mean roy.. is a hindu bengali..surname..
Posted 23 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
hey nfak.. i have toasted ya a great topic at sentiments forum... go n check that out at

http://janubaba.com/wforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4061&PN=1
Posted 23 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
first of all, thanks yaar! i'll do the same when u hit the 1000 mark!

anyhow....shehzad roy is muslim, but i think his mom or dad are christian - hence his last name! i'm not 100% sure tho. sorry!
Posted 23 Oct 2003

slik chik says
yup, shehzad roy, hes a muslim alrite, there r peepz in pak with similar surnames as hindu names, example wud be the surname SHAH, common in both india n pak!
n 1 mo thing, the guy aint nice lookin at all, i mean shehzad roy, he looks like a lil gurly wurly, i went upto him to get a cd signed by him we he was in ireland for a concert for the pak independance day, n he signed it n all, and then wen ma frnd went up he was like, ooooh gosh, all these gals, wat am i to do.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

i like his songs alot n all but not his looks!
Posted 24 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
i agree slik chick...he's one mmmmugly SOB. lol. (j/k)
Posted 24 Oct 2003

slik chik says
HEHEHE, SURE IS,
BTW, I DONT RECKON DAT IVE TALKED TO YA BFO ON JB!
SO NFK, WHERE R YA FROM?
Posted 24 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
born and raised in toronto, canada but my background is PAKISTANI! my family's from lahore and i've been there 4 times. the best city on the planet in my opinion!!

anyhow...where u from slik chik?! i would guess the uk or australia cause u used the word 'reckon'! lol. (j/k)
Posted 24 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
slik ke bacchi ....yo dont know that we were havin a private talk... why the hell yo inturrpted us...

n nfak i tell ya... dont take a misunderstandin on her sweet talks she is as ruthless as it can get...,,,

Posted 24 Oct 2003

slik chik says
NFAKFan said:

born and raised in toronto, canada but my background is PAKISTANI! my family's from lahore and i've been there 4 times. the best city on the planet in my opinion!!

anyhow...where u from slik chik?! i would guess the uk or australia cause u used the word 'reckon'! lol. (j/k)

OOOH RITE, DATS NICE, IM FROM IRELAND, DUBLIN TO BE PRECISE, IM 19 AND IVE BEEN LIVIN HERE FOR 10 YRS NW!
YUP, ME ABSOLUTELY LUVS PAK!
N YEAH, LAHORE IS DA BOMB! GREAT PLACE!

Posted 24 Oct 2003

slik chik says
MrDeath said:

slik ke bacchi ....yo dont know that we were havin a private talk... why the hell yo inturrpted us...

n nfak i tell ya... dont take a misunderstandin on her sweet talks she is as ruthless as it can get...,,,

USE PM FO PRIVATE CHAT MATE, THIS IS A FREE ZONE N I CAN POST IF I WANA, NOW GO BACK N LAY DOWN IN UR COFFIN, UR FALLIN APART AS IT IS ALREADY!
IM RUTHLESS..............WELL.....I GUESS I CAN BE! BUT NOT ALL DA TIMES!
Posted 24 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
cool...ireland eh! not bad.

r u in2 lollywood? or pakistani music? i know u're view on shehzad roy but how 'bout some others?! any favorites?

and lol @ mr. death. she seems polite so far 2 me! i'll give her the benefit of the doubt. lol.
Posted 24 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
ok nfak as u wish.. phir mat kehna ki mene bataya nahin.
Posted 25 Oct 2003

Reply to Topic