MYTHBUSTER

11719 views 240 replies
Reply to Topic
ricky boy

Total Posts: 324

this is an article from this sundays edition of 'daily jang' which of course is a paki newspaper..thought u d be interested...read on, it s kinda longish

India's new breed of films: breaking taboo barriers

"There is no such thing as adult movies now. Television and Internet has changed all that," says Usha Nayyar, a social researcher at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai.

By Mohsin Jaffri

With the dawn of information age, computer-links multiplying, Internet capability reaching new heights, data bank capacity going beyond imagination and visual clips on all subjects abound; what is there that can be veiled from the eyes of whoever surfs the web of his choice. In the knowledge field, the distinction between what a young person can grasp and an adult can understand is narrowing to the extent of becoming meaningless. The impact of this new revolution is more effective in the third world and developing countries where people, in the past, were allowed only 'controlled' information and access to the highly advanced social and cultural concepts were rigidly denied. That is no more possible now. The ruling authorities in some countries, India being one, has accepted the reality and are learning to bow down to 'free media environment'.

In this revolution, the western social and cultural concepts of 'right to choose' for adults and 'sex' taken as normal activity removed all the barriers from under the traditional stronghold of 'taboo'. Also, within this concept and a new approach to free market economy, 'whatever is sellable shall be sold', women found that a 'good figure and face' has a value in market. This helped women (talented and not-so-talented) take advantage of market economy and achieve economic independence.

In India, where women were trapped in centuries old traditions and were made to follow in the footsteps of mythological 'daasi' characters, women were subdued as "born to serve". But all this is changing now. With greater access to education (educational centres, school and colleges multiplying) and more open policy allowing foreign media to enter freely in India, young generation now seem to have more confidence in discussing, tackling such issues that were taboo just a decade ago. India, much ahead in Information Technology compared to its neighbours is also far ahead in accepting the revolution and meeting it. And it takes a positive route by accepting the challenge and implementing liberal policies to create a progressive environment.

India's censor policy has also gone through a complete overhaul. What was a complete no-no some years ago has not only become acceptable but is seen in a respectful vein - and not a mere cheap thrill.

There was a time when a film like Ram Teri Ganga Maili in which an attempt was made (daring for the time) to break taboo subject of sex (explicit encounters outside marriage) but didn't succeed. It actually raised quite a hue and cry. The audience not only felt uneasy but angry too. But a decade and a half later with the young generation better educated, well informed and with access to cultural environments of the western world and entering a liberal age in their own country accepted a highly sex-oriented film like Kama Sutra. Some so-called fundamentalists did create commotion but that was all. This was a courageous attempt and opened the way for 'free and frank' discussions on big and small screens both on taboo subjects.

India adopted a policy of 'liberalism in its true spirit'. She allowed women to come out in the open and choose and define their own role in the society. This helped the Indian women to emerge as 'reborn', accepting new challenges and creating a respectable place for themselves in society. The Indian film industry revitalised with the introduction of highly educated young girls and young men joining the industry, moved towards more open policy. With 'nothing barred' concept and stories, the image and quality of the screen became open and progressive.

Two films, Hey Ram and Gadar, took up the tricky subject of the division of India and birth of Pakistan. This was again for the first time that subject like this (sensitive to good neighbourly relation) was put on screen. Now, with mature and more educated audience, Indian film industry attempted another sensitive and taboo subject in Kya Kehna a story revolving around a single unwed mother, which turned into a box-office success - a subject that could not have been discussed in the open only a decade ago became a big-screen production. Another daring subject about 'live-in relationship' was filmed with the title Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai. This too managed to pull crowds without any agitation, fuss or criticism.

Anupama Chopra, a film commentator for the weekly newsmagazine India Today, says, "I think the biggest change is the way films have started dealing with relationships. It has become more natural and realistic." Indian women with newly found confidence through education and economic opportunities in job markets felt at ease with some of the taboo barriers removed and entered the new liberal environment with full confidence. In 'new mood society' taking the bull by the horn, more experiments were taken in. Another film Fire, based on 'relationship between two women' drew big crowds. Fire was produced by former actress Deepa Mehta who reasoned the choice of the subject on the grounds that there should be no dark corners in society that people shouldn't know about. Deepa Mehta's courage in tackling a taboo issue was appreciated by many liberal social groups and the film received critical approval. Soon another film being produced by Kalpana Lajmi (yet to be titled) would be in the market bringing the environment of the ancient city of Khajuraho, famous for its sexually explicit sculptures.

In a survey carried out in India, asking what the new generation of cinemagoers want, the reply was "something new reflecting the changes that are taking place and certainly not the old stuff". It is a known fact that India's film industry is the largest in the world. It produces on an average 160 films in Hindi (Urdu) and around 650 films in various provincial languages annually.

Indian film industry is now fully developed with the best technology related equipments, skilled computer animations, highly educated actors and actresses and fully skilled dancers (classical and modern). The demand for Indian films in foreign markets of the east and west is growing fast. Every thing begins from home, according to one estimate, the cinemagoers in India stand around 60 million per day; this has helped the industry to grow tremendously and to enter export market too.

The Indian film industry, film stories, subjects and issues being handled, and the new liberalism reflect that Hollywood is dead and Bollywood has come of age. Whether it means better cinema or not, only time will tell, one can safely assume that 'trite' could take a break for a while till the audience explore cinema that is unconventional, realistic and is closer to life.

Posted 09 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. teek hai. lol.
Posted 25 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
dont worry now.. i have send her back to ireland... she will not disturb us again....
Posted 26 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
hahaha! cool..

so what else is up mr. death?! whats new?!
Posted 26 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
nothin is new.... but i think widout ricky... this jb is gettin borin... dont ya think that?
Posted 27 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. i dont think its getting boring. ricky did make it entertaining, but there's still other people! common yaar!

actually, what happend 2 ricky? did he leave, or was he kicked out?
Posted 27 Oct 2003

~Fragi~ says
he was banned ....
Posted 27 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. aaaww 2 bad. lol.

its probably none of my business but may i ask how come?!

i was one of his biggest rivals, yet i can admit, he was becoming more acceptable. or atleast with me he was.
Posted 28 Oct 2003

~Fragi~ says
he was gettin nice ...

per one of da other person ...

ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

was makin him .... unacceptable for us

so both r gone
Posted 28 Oct 2003

JaiHind says
i dont know what to say . janubaba sux now . ffm its desibaba in new garb saying teh same thig again. get him back
Posted 28 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
i see. well u did what u had 2 do, ffm and co.

more power 2 u.

and i 4 1 don't think jb sux.
Posted 28 Oct 2003

slik chik says
KEWL, I KNOW, U GOTA TREAT OTHERS SAME WAY AS THEY APPROACH YA, SO HINT HINT DEATH!

YUP, IRELAND, KEWL PLACE, ABSOLUTELY LOVELY PEOPLE TOO, IM SORTA IN PAKI MUSIC, BUT NOT INTO LOLLYWOOD, ONLY LOLLY MOVIE I LIKED SO FAR WAS CHOORIAN, OTHERWISE DIDNT LIKE ANY OF THEM,
AS FO PAKI MUSIC, I LIKE JUNOON, HADIQA, ABRAR, JAWAD AHMED,FAKHIR, AND HAROon!
wat bout u?
Posted 28 Oct 2003

slik chik says
MrDeath said:

dont worry now.. i have send her back to ireland... she will not disturb us again....

yeah ya wish, il send ya into ur coffin n den nobody will disturb ya there,oh n dont forget to take ur hand with ya, it fall off, pick it up offa da floor!

oh n as fo y ricky was blocked, i duno fo sure but i know the other person who started the whole indo pak thing again, n i was the first person he attacked, it was a guy named vikram, he prop got ricky all hyped up n now, they both got blocked!
ricky was getin betaa, but i blame dat vikram kid! serves him rite!
Posted 28 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
i only recently got into lollywood. as 4 music...my alltime favorite is the late great nusrat fateh ali khan. current day singers: humaira arshad takes the cake! abrar and fuzon are also outstanding. thats not 2 say i wont listen 2 anyone else tho! pakistani music kicks ass!

u ever been 2 a pakistani concert 2 enjoy any of these singers live?
Posted 28 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
hi nfak.. remember me??
Posted 28 Oct 2003

slik chik says
NFAKFan said:

i only recently got into lollywood. as 4 music...my alltime favorite is the late great nusrat fateh ali khan. current day singers: humaira arshad takes the cake! abrar and fuzon are also outstanding. thats not 2 say i wont listen 2 anyone else tho! pakistani music kicks ass!

u ever been 2 a pakistani concert 2 enjoy any of these singers live?

ofcourse man, no one matches his standard in music!
yeah humaira arshad is good too, i like her latest song, the one sumthin like meray ton mera yaar bodaa! sorry bout ma spellin of punjabi,im a pathan, so.....hehehehehehe not totaly familiar with punjabi!

well, i ve only eva been to that concert where shehzad roy was performing, dats it, not many paki artists cum to ireland, cuz its only a small place, n i dont go to pak regularly either so, unfortunately, havent been to a concert!
wat bout ya?
have u every seen any of them perform live!

n yups, fuzon r very very good, but then soo is noori!
Posted 28 Oct 2003

slik chik says
MrDeath said:

hi nfak.. remember me??

nopes, he doesnt!
Posted 28 Oct 2003

MrDeath says
ladaki ke chakkar mein mara jayega bechara nfak
Posted 28 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. sorry mr. death yaar! i have not 4gotten abt u! who r some of your favorites? singers i mean. indian or pakistani, doesn't matter.

and slick chick, no problem (abt your punjabi)!! the song's name is 'mai nai boldi, meray-ch mera yaar bolda'! i like it 2!

u're right abt the concerts. everyone always seems 2 go 2 london and scotland. ireland gets left out...sorry! but i have been 2 a handful of concerts, none better than the following two, which i will NEVER forget: aug. 24 1996, nusrat fateh ali khan's last concert in toronto, canada (where i live!). needless 2 say, he was outstanding. and the second was aug. 17 2002, when abrar came with humaira arshad!! they both sold out the arena and they put on a performace that crowd will remember 4ever! in fact it was thanks 2 this concert that i became an abrar fan, after seeing what he can do 2 a crowd! if u ever get the chance....GO 2 AN ABRAR-UL-HAQ CONCERT!! i guarantee u...u will not regret it!

now i wanna go see fuzon...whenever they come!

so u're a pathan eh?! very interesting! isn't hadiqa one as well??

Posted 28 Oct 2003

slik chik says
hadiqa/ yeah, shes good too,
oooohh id luv to go n see abrar, live i mean! wud be great!
yup, ima pathan, n wats so interesting about that?
i luv dat song by fuzon, think its called akheeyan!
they r very good!
so, r u into western music aswell? if so, den wat sort?
i luv western music, im more of the rnb, hip hop, n rap type, sumthin really upbeat n all!
i dont mind sum slow numbers infact i have sum all time faves that il always like, n most of them r slow numbaas!
Posted 28 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
i meant is hadiqa also a pathan?! i heard somewhere that she is, and i thought u might know 4 sure?!

as 4 western music, i'm into all kinds. rap moreso than others! eminem, and dmx r my favorites.

i hate christina agiulera's guts, but the way she sings...she's got some pakistani in her. LOL. (j/k). when she does those long thaan's! u know what i mean?! lol. only brown people can pull that off, and it seems so can that broad!
Posted 28 Oct 2003

slik chik says
lolz, i duno bout hadiqa at all, juss know bout her songs thats it, i was only told like a while back by a frnd that shes married n has a kid, n i was like:WAT? lolz
christina, well i dont like her at all, but i love her song, u know, dirty, i love it cuzz the video is soo diff, n also cuz red mnas in it!

n yeah, i know wat ya mean by the long thaang, thats if u mean the high notes she holds n all!
alot of white singers r tryin to break into the black music style or their style of singin but not many of them r as good at it!
Posted 29 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
hadiqa's married?! i had no idea. i heard she's a pathan and her dad's some high ranking official in the government. very well respected, well known family, from what i've been told. ah well...

and u're so right abt these white singers tryin' 2 emulate black singers and even pakistani/indian music. but they can try till they have no vocal cords...they can't do it properly - save aguliera (sp?)!

Posted 30 Oct 2003

slik chik says
hehehehee, well, duno bout her family but thats wat i was told by a frnd, he knows alot bout her cuz he's a real big fan of hers!

yeah, i guess christina is good at that, but it wud be btr if they stick to wat they can do rather than tryna copy other styles that arent exactly there type!

oh well, wat can we say!
btw, hws ramadan goin fo u? i aint doin too bad cuz i dont eat much during the day anyway so doesnt bother me!
lolz......it usually bothers alot of guys cuz they r always stuffin their faces wid all sorts of food! hahahahaha, 1 of ma frndz is like that aswell, he gets hungry like an hour after he's had his sehri! lolz!
Posted 30 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
so tru (u're comment on white singers stickin' 2 their own style)!

ramadan is goin' very well thanks! lol @ your friend. i'm usually the same way, but lately its not botherin' me. i go 2 university during the day and i don't notice the hunger at all. it starts 2 kick in 1 hour before its time 2 open rosa. lol. but its all good...!

how's ramadan goin' 4 u? we usually eat a lot of fried stuff during this month. lol. how 'bout u?! what do u eat to open rosa?!
Posted 30 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
hey.....u think some of these pakistani stars (singers/actors/actresses) are fasting, or r they 2 good 4 it!? lol. (for conversations sake)!

Posted 30 Oct 2003

slik chik says
hahahaaha, yeah, same happens to me but i open ma roza at uni, cuz wev vry long hours, i jus gt like sum orange juice & mayb a bar r a packa crisps,n open ma roza wid dt! i usualy hv 2 wait til 8.30pm befo i cn eat sum real food @ home!
nly fried ting i eat is pakoras!otherwise mum makes dahi balai & pulao rice & a salan to go wid it,house is lolz! and then there is other stuff to go along with it aswell, but i avoid eatin da resta the stuff, juss eat da rice n salaan n a bita pakoras!

hmmmm....dnt tink these stars do fast, but the likes of a few crickers and abrar and junaid jamshed, who r quite religious, i dont think any of the others do fast!
i mean sum of them so called high society peepz in pak dont fast either, oh well, they gota answer fo them selves in fronta god! lolz

Posted 31 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. i can't open rosa w/o pakorays! its crazy i tell ya! dhai balai...4get it! i despise yougert. that doesn't stop my mom from makin' them tho, and the rest of the family eats 'em with pleasure.

me...i can't dig right in2 the meal (pulao and salaan!!) i eat snacks (like pakorays, french fries) and then wait an hour b4 i go for the big-ass khaanaa! lol. usually this is chaaval and something. i don't eat roti's 2 often...they're 2 heavy. lol.

as 4 the singers....i agree. i think some of 'em don't fast. but others do. the reason i asked was cause i saw an interview with humaira arshad, and fariha pervaiz, and they both said they wear hijaab and burkha's when they go out in public. i would guess then that they are somewhat religious and they keep rosa's (i hope humaira does, cause i'm a fan and i dont want her 2 be an outlaw. lol)!! but yeah.....u're right...the 1's that dont will answer 2 the big man upstairs!
Posted 31 Oct 2003

slik chik says
HAHAHAHA, I KNOW, BUT I GET A REALLY BIG BREAK IN BETWEN AUTOMATICALLY ANYWAY, I MEAN, ROZA OPENS AT 5.05PM, N I GO BACK HOME AT 8.30PM SO THATS A BIG ENUF BREAK FO ME!
I LIKE DAHI BARAY, BUT NOT CRAZY BOUT IT!
YUP, NO 1 EATS CHAPATIS AT MA PLACE IN RAMADAN, TO HEAVY! LOLZ

THEY WEAR BURKAAS? WELL, DATS QUITE A CONTRADICTION SINCE THEY R LIKE ALL SORTA DANCIN IN THERE VIDEOS N ALL N THEN THEY WEAR BURQAA'S? STRANGE! LOLZ!
DONT WORRY,. HOPEFULLY HUMAIRA WILL KEEP UR HEART N FAST IN RAMADAN! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!
Posted 31 Oct 2003

MR PERFECT says
lol. i guess thats ok then (the break, and then eating a meal)! last ramadan i ate a roti at sehri and i swear 2 u...i could feel it the ENTIRE day sitting on my chest. lol. i couldn't tell if i was going 2 throw up or digest it. needless 2 say that was the last time i had roti at sehri. lol.

as 4 humaira, i hope u're right! she BEST be fasting. lol. my loyalty hangs in the balance! (j/k)

u know what i think it is...they wear burkha's in public so that they're not recognized. no religious reasons. again tho...i hope i'm wrong, cause if thats the case neither of 'em r exactly model muslims or citizens. lol.

Posted 31 Oct 2003

sanam411 says
HUMAIRA?????....
Posted 31 Oct 2003

Reply to Topic
Copyright ©2024 Janubaba.com - All Rights Reserved.- .018